Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >
  • On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

• On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 01-08-2018, 10:05 AM

I am at a snail's pace too, just getting to putting my blocks together. But I am not liking the sashings- thinking about using them for border also. Maybe I will use the coral for sashing and my brown bonus triangles for pinwheels as the cornerstones, I will see how it looks. Amybible I really like how you did the setting triangles, I was also thinking of doing something different in that area too- it just seem to big a chunk of aqua with all the other pieces so small, hope you don't mind if I steal your idea. I LOVE seeing all the pics such beautiful colors and work by everyone.
    Old 01-08-2018, 10:19 AM
    Power Poster

Sophia, what pretty pinks! Looks like you have 3 different block styles... I would mix them up in the quilt! No one would ever guess that you didn't do that on purpose. I like how the pink is going to form a lattice when you sew the blocks together.
    Old 01-08-2018, 10:21 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by laurilli
    I was also thinking of doing something different in that area too- it just seem to big a chunk of aqua with all the other pieces so small
    I didn't like the big chunks of aqua, either, but I can see why she did it. She was trying to evoke a sunset floating on the lake.
    Old 01-08-2018, 01:13 PM

Sophia, after looking at the picture you posted, I intentionally turned my blocks the way that you have them.

Jan
    Old 01-08-2018, 01:17 PM

I did not do anything yesterday so mine is not competed. Here is one block totally done. I just have to assemble my blocks. My husband likes it. I am going a little bit controlled on the placement of fabrics, but otherwise all is scraps. Now to get the rest done. [ATTACH=CONFIG]586784[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails block.jpg  
    Old 01-08-2018, 02:02 PM

I can see why you husband likes it, QuilterMomma. Your colors and fabric prints are lovely!

Here's mine, slowly but surely coming along. Unfortunately our good camera isn't working and these mobile device cameras aren't very good, thus the washed color look. It's much more vibrant in person. I'm hoping the blue sashing looks like lattice behind the blocks.
    Attached Thumbnails img_3244_kindlephoto-206275428.jpg  
    Old 01-08-2018, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    Sophia, after looking at the picture you posted, I intentionally turned my blocks the way that you have them.

Jan
    I like it this way too. it was a mistake to began with. I just did not like the corals. I order my fabric on line and got a bundle but some of the corals where orange like Halloween. I love to make quilts they keep my brain active have really enjoyed this mystery everyones tops or just beautiful
    Old 01-08-2018, 03:51 PM
    Power Poster

Wow ladies! So fun to see all the creativity flowing in your ORL quilts!!!
    Old 01-08-2018, 03:55 PM

QuilterMomma - love your colors and placement! Going to be beautiful!

NZquilter - I really like your blue sashing, too much coral for me too, but not far enough along to decide what to do about it.
    Old 01-08-2018, 04:30 PM
    Power Poster

Quiltermomma, love the block!

NZ, I am really liking that blue sashing. I think it's going to be lovely. Looks like you decided to keep playing with your quilt for a while. (wink).

Ok, so I had a bad attitude about my zigzag border not fitting yesterday.... sorry. Today I have come to realize that it will only fit when you have odd numbers of both blocks across and rows, (because of the sashings). My layout is 5 x 6 so the borders fit on the "5 side", but not on the "6 side". I could just bag it and do something funky and ugly at the ends, but I really do want the ribbon to flow around the corners gracefully. So... came to realize I need another row of 5 blocks and sashings, to get my layout up to 5x7. Back to the drawing board for 5 more blocks and 12 more sashings!! Whaaaaaahh! Thought I was nearly done.... I can't complain, tho, because so many are just starting their Ringo Lake quilts. I'll be in good company.