Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 12-30-2017, 09:50 AM

I am also doing 2/3rds but no sewing for me today I am at work. I did finish (except for pressing) clue 6 yesterday. I'm not sure if I will do clue 7 before the reveal, the more units that are sewn together the less wiggle room for changes w/o a date w/ Ol' Jack, and I have nearly always changed a little something here or there.

As far as the "guesses" go which I don't view as "guesses" but as possibilities for future blocks, ideas, quilts etc. That is one of my main fun of doing it in a group. I think there has been way to much micro managing this year from the QP some of it at Bonnie's direction some of it people taking what she says and adding what they think. Anyway it has taken some of my joy in doing it away this year. This will likely be my last year to do this mystery. I will never get to all the quilts I want to do even if I live to 100, so I will likely be working on those, and of course the Booms.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:08 AM
Power Poster

I've loved seeing your configurations, Kass.... It is really quite ridiculous to mandate that no one can post block configurations online, when they are your own work with your own fabric, and at this point... they are only well known units that have been around forever. Flying geese, 9 patches... sheesh. No one has control over the use of those. It does take a very fun element away if we can't speculate and share what we come up with. BH can mandate the "rules" on her Quiltville Open Studio page, or her link up, but she doesn't reach this far. The QB is not under her control. This will most likely be my last BH mystery here, too.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
As far as the "guesses" go which I don't view as "guesses" but as possibilities for future blocks, ideas, quilts etc. That is one of my main fun of doing it in a group. I think there has been way to much micro managing this year from the QP some of it at Bonnie's direction some of it people taking what she says and adding what they think. Anyway it has taken some of my joy in doing it away this year. This will likely be my last year to do this mystery. I will never get to all the quilts I want to do even if I live to 100, so I will likely be working on those, and of course the Booms.
I'm sorry Kass! I hope you aren't referring to us here on the QB? I've been enjoying your layouts the whole MQ and hope you don't mind that I've saved a few as a back up plan if I don't like Bonnie's.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:24 AM

Absolutely not, everyone on this thread has been supportive and sharing, kind. The major QP have been in the QV FB page.

Save away, I am not proprietorial about any of my ideas, ever. I quilt, and piece, and design for the sheer fun of it, so have no "interest" to protect.

I did not mean my earlier post to sound angry or bitter, I am neither. I do not regret the BH quilts I have made they have been lovely. It is only they are a lot of investment in time and material and if they are no longer fun to participate in then what is the point.
Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
I'm sorry Kass! I hope you aren't referring to us here on the QB? I've been enjoying your layouts the whole MQ and hope you don't mind that I've saved a few as a back up plan if I don't like Bonnie's.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:55 AM

I view the early guesses and layouts as fun and inspirational. I took Bonnie to mean that in these end stages don't do a reveal yourself and I can appreciate that because with Alietare i did see a post from someone that showed an early reveal the final two blocks with a tada! aren't I so clever kind of post, not here but in a yahoo group. I think Bonnie deserves the reveal. in some of the earlier clues I have linked up my blog posts to her site and I have loose guesses with - mostly with colors playing together and she didn't unlink me.

I am half way done with clue 6 and eager to start clue 7. I think it's going to be a fun weekend

Last edited by Pagzz; 12-30-2017 at 10:57 AM. Reason: spacing
Old 12-30-2017, 10:59 AM

I can't complain about rulers. I have used my accuquilt dies for all my clues so far. My rulers just collect dust in the corner.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:19 AM

Well, I'm going to enjoy Bonnie's "rapid fire" clues but I will have to make a quick trip to my LQS ................. arrrgh .. I ran out of my melon/coral fabric! Anyway I'm still plugging away at clue 4 & 5. Clue 7 won't be much of a problem.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:28 AM

Jane Quilter - I'm curious as to which Accuquilt dies you have used for Ringo.

I already constructed all my Flying Geese of Clues 2 and 5 using the four-at-a-time method. I have not yet started on Clues 3, 4, and 6. I planned to complete the Clues all in order, but this year's Mystery just didn't roll that way for me! Ah well, still having a delightful time with it all, and know that it will get done eventually.

I have Bonnie's Essential Triangle Tool and used it for En Provence. I bought the Simple Folded Corners Ruler this year and have not tried it yet.

I have an Accuquilt, and thought maybe I could use it for a Clue or two. Is the same die used for Clue 3 and 4 for the HST's? And Clue 6 has a larger HST. Which dies did you use, and was it easier/better than a ruler method?
Old 12-30-2017, 12:32 PM

I have the 6 inch qube from Accuquilt and used dies from it, but these dies are also available in other dies.

1. GO! Half Square Triangle-3" Finished Square
  2. GO! Quarter Square Triangle-3" Finished Square
  3. GO! Half Square Triangle-1 1/2" Finished Square

3" finished square HST for clue 6
quarter square 3 inch finished for the flying geese bodies
1 1/2" HST for triangles in flying geese clues and triangles on clue 3

I found it better for the speed of cutting all these triangles and the ruler slips on me (because I keep rushing and haven't bothered to put any sticky stuff on it - i am too eager to cut the shape)

Ironically a couple years ago, I was ready to sell my Go because I hardly used it but it came in handy for this mystery
Old 12-30-2017, 12:47 PM

Clue 7 complete! Now to wait impatiently for #8 (tomorrow? Please?)
I saw one post above about running out of Melon fabric. Was it just me, or did she pull that yardage requirement pretty darn close this year? I ended up with less then 3" of my melon fabric left!