Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 12-30-2017, 02:54 PM

I'm just about finished with Clue 6. I am going to hold off on clue 7 until the reveal....just for a bit more flexibility in case the final layout needs to be tweaked a bit.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
I didn't mean to sound unfriendly, sorry. I just enjoy the "mystery" of mysteries.
I didn't think it was unfriendly at all. It just seems that to some the guessing enhances the social experience and to others it is a huge spoiler. Like so many things, there appears to be no middle ground.

Thank you for your thoughts. 🙂 I enjoyed them.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:14 PM

Well, pits! I thought I'd be caught up by Monday, but Bonnie's up to her normal tricks of piling on the work at the very end. Looks like she's going to do a New Year's Day reveal as in former years.

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post

So... why is this unit, composed of 3 triangles and one square, called a "shaded 4 patch". Where did that name come from? I've never heard that before.
I first encountered this unit in Bonnie's Easy Street and that is what she called it, so the name has stuck with me. I realise it is called by other names as well, but for some reason I can remember this one.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:19 PM

It's like Bonnie's "garlic knots" I always knew as Arrowhead
Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
Well, pits! I thought I'd be caught up by Monday, but Bonnie's up to her normal tricks of piling on the work at the very end. Looks like she's going to do a New Year's Day reveal as in former years.

I first encountered this unit in Bonnie's Easy Street and that is what she called it, so the name has stuck with me. I realise it is called by other names as well, but for some reason I can remember this one.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:36 PM

This might be a silly question, but how do you all press your units and get good results? I figure press and it takes me hours to press 200+ units, while it only takes me a couple to sew them. I'm sure there is a faster way because I have seen people a few hours after a clue goes live saying "All done!" And I'm scratching my head thinking "How???" I believe it's my pressing that is slowing me down. With so much work ahead of us and a clue a day, I would appreciate any tips!
Old 12-30-2017, 03:38 PM

I didn't add up how much coral (my red) that I had I just figured that wad would be enough. It was, I only had to piece together 9, which I think makes a quilt more interesting.

I'm having fun and look forward to next years already.
I enjoy all the guesses presented, just not per cent of fabric used. That is more information than I can handle

I learned 3 or 4 years ago, as the mystery makers got more sophisticated in the process and wanted to share that with others, just to not go to the facebook group during mystery.

To tell you the truth, I'm surprised she still gives the gift. I'd have thrown my hands up long ago!

Our new years eve day was sitting in our new 5th wheel trailer while the 4 hours of bug bombs went off in the house
Trimming down scraps. Such a really nice end to 2017. It has been a good year for me, a terrible year for our planet and world relationships. All the best to all of us, Sharyn
Old 12-30-2017, 03:40 PM

I usually press from the front unless I am spinning seams. I will place the unit w/ this side I want to press to on top, lift the top fabric w/ my left hand and gently glide the iron edge down the seam line and over it.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:48 PM

She gets a lot from the mysteries too. She gets a lot more traffic to her blog which generates paid advertisers, sales of the rulers, interest in her as a quilt designer so more people interested in attending her classes and cruises and the like, more interest in buying her books and patterns. I don't say that as a negative or a bad thing. I think it is amazing she has found a way to make a living quilting, not many can say that at all. Not just make a living but get to travel the world and quilt. I have been quilting for many, many years and had never heard of Bonnie until being exposed to the mystery quilt, I believe this is true for many.
Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
I didn't add up how much coral (my red) that I had I just figured that wad would be enough. It was, I only had to piece together 9, which I think makes a quilt more interesting.

I'm having fun and look forward to next years already.
I enjoy all the guesses presented, just not per cent of fabric used. That is more information than I can handle

I learned 3 or 4 years ago, as the mystery makers got more sophisticated in the process and wanted to share that with others, just to not go to the facebook group during mystery.

To tell you the truth, I'm surprised she still gives the gift. I'd have thrown my hands up long ago!

Our new years eve day was sitting in our new 5th wheel trailer while the 4 hours of bug bombs went off in the house
Trimming down scraps. Such a really nice end to 2017. It has been a good year for me, a terrible year for our planet and world relationships. All the best to all of us, Sharyn
Old 12-30-2017, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
I usually press from the front unless I am spinning seams. I will place the unit w/ this side I want to press to on top, lift the top fabric w/ my left hand and gently glide the iron edge down the seam line and over it.
Does it distort the bias at all?
I might set up my mini ironing board tonight and finish them up so I can do clue 5 tomorrow...and maybe even clue 7 but that is asking a lot!
Old 12-30-2017, 03:51 PM

I have not had any problems w/ it distorting but I don't pull or tug I use a gentle hand.
Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
Does it distort the bias at all?
I might set up my mini ironing board tonight and finish them up so I can do clue 5 tomorrow...and maybe even clue 7 but that is asking a lot!