Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 12-30-2017, 03:51 PM

I let the heat and the iron edge do all the work.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by GramE View Post
Hey, there’s a clue 7 this morning!

https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2017...re-part-7.html
Oh man - she is a trickster, isn't she! I was so pleased to keep up with all the clues this year but I have to work Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday so by the time I can get back to the sewing machine I should only be about 4 Clues behind -
Old 12-30-2017, 05:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
Such a really nice end to 2017. It has been a good year for me, a terrible year for our planet and world relationships. All the best to all of us, Sharyn
Oh, sad you feel that way, Sharyn. I heartily disagree. Happy New Year!
Old 12-30-2017, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Oh, sad you feel that way, Sharyn. I heartily disagree. Happy New Year!
Ditto there, Sewbiz. 2017 has been a great year with many blessings, and hopefully 2018 will be as good!

Thanks for the ironing tips, Kass! I will try them.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:56 PM

Krista, I was the one that posted she ran out of melon/coral fabric. I had enough fabric to cut out 30 triangles! I do have fabric strips left over but they measure 3" so not large enough to use. I didn't have any melon/coral fabric in my stash so I bought the melon FQ pack from Whittles. That FQ pack was equal to 3 1/4 yards. At least, I finished clue 4 today and I'm half way done clue 5. Anyway, I'll take a walk to my LQS on Monday and see what they have.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:41 PM

Jane Quilter... I have been fortunate that I was able to order one die but had the rest.
I like to cut fast and accurate.

I'm trying to get caught up.

Had to buy a new machine.

Kirsten
Old 12-30-2017, 06:53 PM
Power Poster

GramE thanks for posting clue 7. I didn't get the email yet. Warned sister who is visiting this week that tomorrow is "Bonnie Day" for clue 6 and 7. So glad she is understanding! We are getting close to the big reveal and can't wait.
Happy New Year everyone!
Old 12-30-2017, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
This might be a silly question, but how do you all press your units and get good results? I figure press and it takes me hours to press 200+ units, while it only takes me a couple to sew them. I'm sure there is a faster way because I have seen people a few hours after a clue goes live saying "All done!" And I'm scratching my head thinking "How???" I believe it's my pressing that is slowing me down. With so much work ahead of us and a clue a day, I would appreciate any tips!
I have a small table right next to my machine table and I don’t have to get up & down to press. Just spin a bit to the right. And i’m like Kass, I press from the front unless i’m Hand sewing then i’m A bit pickier about how my seams go.

But I agree with you on those speed sewing Suzy’s who have the clue done before i’ve figured out what to do. But I have no time constraints so speed isn’t even a word in this old woman’s vocabulary unless it’s my grandson saying I move at turtle speed!

I missed a couple of clues because I became the chauffeur when my husband tore (they thought) his MCL & possibly his ACL. Two weeks immobile. Kinda like a two week vacation the two weeks before Christmas but he couldn’t drive, hence was home bound. Got released on Thursday to go back to work, Hallelujah. But i’m Still behind. But I managed to figure out how to fashion my own easy angle with my most used handy dandy ruler. I’m so excited because all the clue 6 that I did came out with little to no trimming needed. And I got the seam guide that MacyBaby showed in her picture last week, and it has helped me keep my lines straight. Amazing. Thank you Macy for showing that pic of your machine. Well, I have some pieces to set while i’m Away from the machine.

I’m out of coral too. Gonna scrounge around and see if I can find something acceptable before I send DH to JoAnn’s. He knows that place like the back of his hand! And they know him, and are very helpful!

Hope you are all keeping warm. It’s 4 below here. Five inches of snow last night. High tomorrow 0-10 above. High Monday 0! I blinked and it was winter.

Last edited by GramE; 12-30-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:14 PM

I press like Kass says but I do set the seam with the iron before I roll up the top piece. It seems to press more crisply that way without distorting the block.

I find it interesting that folks don't see this past year as harmful to the planet with three hurricanes just in this country alone and all the wildfires out west. Add in the earthquakes and other disasters elsewhere and I see the planet in pain. But each to their own, I guess.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:16 PM

I have really enjoyed the pictures people have posted of their units. I have never done a top with so many pieces so I have no idea what to expect. Kass has done some wonderful arrangements of her units and it has helped me to see new possibilities. I do not understand the big deal over it, it is just someones own interpretation of a way to use the pieces.