Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 12-30-2017, 12:49 PM

Oh my, there goes my plan to be caught up by Monday. I do have 2 steps done, 2 more steps 1/2 done. 2 cut and just found out about clue 7. So back to work.

Beside Merry Mayhem, Is there another free NYD mystery about to go on this year? Just curious, so I can print out the clues. Maybe get my fabric together.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
Clue 7 complete! Now to wait impatiently for #8 (tomorrow? Please?)
I saw one post above about running out of Melon fabric. Was it just me, or did she pull that yardage requirement pretty darn close this year? I ended up with less then 3" of my melon fabric left!
Turtle Panic!!!!! I'm working on clue 7, got them cut, and about 20 done. Thinking I will be caught up by friday easy, (Ha), Then the above post! What? a new clue tomorrow? I'll never make that finish line. Wish I was born a hare, but alas, doomed to be a turtle.....
Old 12-30-2017, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
Clue 7 complete! Now to wait impatiently for #8 (tomorrow? Please?)
I saw one post above about running out of Melon fabric. Was it just me, or did she pull that yardage requirement pretty darn close this year? I ended up with less then 3" of my melon fabric left!

I too ran short on my "melons" and had to go emergency stash diving. I figured it was because I did old school line drawing units. I am disappointed because I have a lot of "aqua" left. Still, it will be lovely, I think.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:15 PM

Jane reminded me that there are other accuquilt dies that could be helpful. and I did use the 2 in strip die, I forgot to mention it. see below:

QUOTE=Jane Quilter]pagzz forgot to mention the multiple 2" square die, for the blue squares in clue 4, and I used the 2" strip die , then ran the strips on the multiple 5" die to get an accurate 2" x 5" block.....then I added the 2" triangles on the ends of this block to make that clue (3? was it).....Jane[/QUOTE]
Old 12-30-2017, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
I am also doing 2/3rds but no sewing for me today I am at work. I did finish (except for pressing) clue 6 yesterday. I'm not sure if I will do clue 7 before the reveal, the more units that are sewn together the less wiggle room for changes w/o a date w/ Ol' Jack, and I have nearly always changed a little something here or there.

As far as the "guesses" go which I don't view as "guesses" but as possibilities for future blocks, ideas, quilts etc. That is one of my main fun of doing it in a group. I think there has been way to much micro managing this year from the QP some of it at Bonnie's direction some of it people taking what she says and adding what they think. Anyway it has taken some of my joy in doing it away this year. This will likely be my last year to do this mystery. I will never get to all the quilts I want to do even if I live to 100, so I will likely be working on those, and of course the Booms.
I agree with you there. The guesses are the main excitement for me in joining a group. I so love everyone's guesses and I don't expect them to be correct. I love the possibilities. I love that some in the end will choose to do their own thing.

I can understand why BH is discouraging speculation this year. Ahem, there's just not a lot of options with these units. But I can't figure in the chevron thingys, lol. So, it's still a mystery.

Totally new concept for me, do people read mystery novels and never try to figure out who done it before the end? I'm no good at it but always try.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:52 PM

I always try to figure out who did it and why, but I am a huge Criminal Minds fan (even w/o Shemar).

I have seen many on the FB group say they ran out of melon before the end, even people who said they started w/ more then was stated.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:56 PM

I don't try to figure out mystery novels--I just enjoy the process--same with mystery quilts. I take the instructions, do what they say, and enjoy it. If I come to the end and don't particularly like the result, I know someone else will, and I donate the quilt. Since Bonnie's use scraps, I'm not out a lot of money--and I've had fun and learning in the making. If you don't like uncertainty or flexibility, you won't enjoy mystery quilts.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:17 PM

[QUOTE=AngeliaNR;7972553]I don't try to figure out mystery novels--I just enjoy the process--same with mystery quilts. I take the instructions, do what they say, and enjoy it. If I come to the end and don't particularly like the result, I know someone else will, and I donate the quilt. Since Bonnie's use scraps, I'm not out a lot of money--and I've had fun and learning in the making. If you don't like uncertainty or flexibility, you won't enjoy mystery quilts.[/QUOTE

Well, thanks for that. New thought for me...
Old 12-30-2017, 02:37 PM

I am completely up to date and looking forward to tomorrows clue. The cold weather is keeping me from wanting to go out, and having this project is as good an excuse as any. The only rulers I have used is my standard rectangular one and my Wing Clipper (thank goodness for that one as the last clue allowed them to go together so nicely). Sewing, made chili for dinner and an emergency chicken soup for a sick friend. Now I'm looking for something to do. Have a nice evening everyone!
Old 12-30-2017, 02:38 PM

I didn't mean to sound unfriendly, sorry. I just enjoy the "mystery" of mysteries.