Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 12-28-2017, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by tscweaves View Post
Great workspace Kalama. I really enjoy seeing pictures of peoples studio areas and how they manage all of the "stuff". Everything I do fiberwise has so many working parts to it and keeping it all accessible and organized is just an ongoing work in progress.
Theresa ... I agree! We relocated last year and I just got my sewing room to a point where I can function the week the second clue came out. I'm still not "done" with my sewing room by a long shot. I still have boxes to unpack, sort, and organize. I still have "stuff" draped over the rails of my long arm. I still have more stuff piled on various surfaces including my cutting table (thank GOD it's 8' X 4' or I wouldn't have room to work). I still have vintage machines all over the place. In short ... it's a total mess, but I've been without sewing for a year and a half (!!!) that when the MQ started I said "to heck with the mess, I need to sew something!!".

I promise pictures when I get it looking somewhat presentable. It's a large 24' X 16' studio with an enormous cutting table supported by cabinets, a long arm, a sit-down mid-arm, a regular sewing machine, a design wall, and a shelving unit to hold my stash. Bonus ... I also have my own deck off the sewing room to step outside and watch nature.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
I promise pictures when I get it looking somewhat presentable. It's a large 24' X 16' studio with an enormous cutting table supported by cabinets, a long arm, a sit-down mid-arm, a regular sewing machine, a design wall, and a shelving unit to hold my stash. Bonus ... I also have my own deck off the sewing room to step outside and watch nature.
This sounds amazing, DHM! The deck... oh my. I took over the dining room as my sewing space and there is a big picture window out to the woods. But I'd love to be able to step out onto a deck.

My clue 5 units are all sewn and half are trimmed. Just a little more trimming to go and I'll be caught up and ready for tomorrow's clue.

I bought a new artificial Christmas tree yesterday for half off... woo hoo! We always have real trees, tho, so I hope I'll use it.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:49 AM

I am still hobbling around. I did manage to grab a bag of fat quarters I have been hoarding and with a friend's insistence of joining in this fun, I have selected my fabrics and have them pressed ready to cut and move forward. I have one more UFO project at the embroidery machine that needs done and will get to sewing. Having this bum foot sure does slow a person down. Love seeing everyone's clues finished. Gives me a good idea of what to do next.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:41 AM

What happened with your foot, QuilterMomma, and what is the prognosis?

Sue, no sewing for a year and a half! That sounds tough.

I didn't quite get all of clue #5 trimmed yesterday, but hope to finish today and get back to clue #3.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
Sue, your studio sounds wonderful, especially with the bonus of having a deck to walk out onto. Are any of your vintage machines handcranks? They can go out there with you I find it amazing how fast a space can get filled. My weaving loft is about the same size as your studio and it is full, plus I have a 10'x10' room attached for my stash and library. That area is a mess, I really need to do something different in the way of storage. My sewing room is what was my dining room, is about 15'x11' and I have managed to fill that as well. I obviously enjoy having "stuff"! LOL

Last edited by tscweaves; 12-28-2017 at 09:49 AM. Reason: typos, again - dratted virtual keyboard
Old 12-28-2017, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by tscweaves View Post
Sue, your studio sounds wonderful, especially with the bonus of having a deck to walk out onto. Are any of your vintage machines handcranks? They can go out there with you I find it amazing how fast a space can get filled. My weaving loft is about the same size as your studio and it is full, plus I have a 10'x10' room attached for my stash and library. That area is a mess, I really need to do something different in the way of storage. My sewing room is what was my dining room, is about 15'x11' and I have managed to fill that as well. I obviously enjoy having "stuff"! LOL
No handcranks, but I do have a few treadles. I only keep one of the vintage machines set up in my sewing room, it's a 60's Janome/New Home 15 clone in cream and green in a beautiful Queen Ann cabinet. It's just too pretty, and sews too nice to not keep on hand and ready to use (but no, it's not what I'm using for this MQ).

The deck is indeed a bonus as I am a smoker, but I have never smoked in sewing room, and we don't smoke in the new house at all. So when I get stressed with a seam, I can step out for a smoke

The room is large, but I filled it fast. I still remember the first time we looked at the house, we both loved the property, my husband really loved the shop (which was very important as we run our business out of the shop), but I really didn't like the house EXCEPT for the room on the 2nd floor. I told my husband "I hate the house, but I'll agree to buy it on the condition that the 2nd floor is my sewing room". He said ... and I quote "It's too big, you'll never fill it". After laughing I said "watch me!!". Little does the man know I could easily fill his shop building (100 X 40).

The next step (other than organizing) is a big one ... the lighting in the room is desperate. The previous owners used it as a TV room so the lighting is poor. There are two small cieling lights that are offset either side of center. Neither of them are directly over *anything*. I am currently working with two standing Ott lights which I have to constantly move from cutting table to ironing board, and from sewing machine to *out of my way* to get to the cutting table. I can't even think of working on my long arm without better lighting above it. I didn't want to get the lighting done until I had all the elements in place to know where I needed the light the most.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:48 AM

Just got time to work on Clue 5 last night! Got 30 done, but all the rest of my Clues are completed! Here is a pic of my quite full box of Clues!
Attached Thumbnails orl1.jpg  
Old 12-28-2017, 12:43 PM
Power Poster

Finished my 100 clue 5 units. Ready for tomorrow and to get this puppy wrapped up.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]586145[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_3211.jpg  
Old 12-28-2017, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
Just got time to work on Clue 5 last night! Got 30 done, but all the rest of my Clues are completed! Here is a pic of my quite full box of Clues!
I love seeing a full quilt box

Sewbiz - great looking geese. I am with you, I am ready to start piecing this baby.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:00 PM

Your units look so pretty, JeanieG! I love your coral shades.

Pretty browns, sewbizgirl!

Clue #5 is finished! This is the first clue I've managed to finish since #1. I do hope we will have the reveal on New Year's Day so we can see how these all go together. I have never made a quilt with geese before! I have learned so much from Bonnie's mysteries.
Attached Thumbnails img_1217_fotor.jpg