Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 11-24-2017, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
. I have to cut some strips to get a small enough piece so that it will go through. This die is one of the biggest backers and there is no room to roll up some extra fabric and send it through. Unless I am missing something.

This is also shooting ducks in the dark on a foggy night. How many 1 1/2 strips of this will I need? Am I cutting into a lovely piece of some color and making a 1 1/2 strip that I won't use??? Should I have saved that for some other shape?

For this 50 I will need two WOF chocolate browns, 4 aqua and 6 neutral. Do I want the same fabric for all this set?

Would some pictures of the Accuquilt problems be helpful?

Marcia
You should get approx 26-27 cuts @ 1 1/2 inches from each strip set. It looks like your math is close.

Yes, there is some waste using the strips but it will save on time. You also don't have to over cut too many strips. If you only need two pieces just lay that fabric down, then add the next color. Just be sure there are no more than 6 layers of fabric at any point or it won't cut well. Generally, I only cut 4-5 layers and there are not issues.

Yes, pics would help with your question(s). I'm not sure what you meant about " this die is one of the biggest backers".

I agree if you want consistency through out the quilt to make them all the same. Good luck and hope you feel better soon.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:23 AM

Here is my first block out of the machine. I really like the combination of the blue/aqua and brown. Making this half sized so only 24 more to go!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]584272[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails ringo-first-block.jpg  
Old 11-24-2017, 08:34 AM

Finally got a picture of some of my mystery fabrics--I didn't photograph the neutrals. Green replaces aqua for me.
Attached Thumbnails dscn2147.jpg  
Old 11-24-2017, 08:40 AM

I've got mine cut and ready to sew. Since it's only 50 blocks and I want to max the randomness, I cut mine all into 1 1/2" squares and will go from there.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:40 AM

I was hoping we wouldn't use the aqua today, giving me one more week to decide between my blues and orange for the aqua. Looks like I have to get off the fence and decide. The opinions were almost nearly identical for the orange and for the blue between this thread and Quiltville.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:46 AM

[QUOTE=Battle Axe;794978

This is also shooting ducks in the dark on a foggy night. How many 1 1/2 strips of this will I need? Am I cutting into a lovely piece of some color and making a 1 1/2 strip that I won't use??? Should I have saved that for some other shape?

For this 50 I will need two WOF chocolate browns, 4 aqua and 6 neutral. Do I want the same fabric for all this set?

Bonnie warned.... No whinning. And I feel as if I am whinning. I'm very good at whinning. My tailbone is totally painful today, I can hardly move.

Also.....is the Quilt board one of the approved places to "meet up"? We have always done this. I only have a Pinterest account and none of the other ones. I get enough junk in the inbox. Please no more.

Would some pictures of the Accuquilt problems be helpful?

Marcia[/QUOTE]

Marcia,

I think you shouldn't worry if there are a few extra strips. We may need to use this size strip again in another or the same unit. I seem to remember Bonnie sometimes having us repeat a unit we did in an earlier clue to keep people guessing about how the mystery is going to unfold. There are other possibilities...if you end up with an extra strip use it to frame your label on the back of the quilt etc.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:30 AM

Got mine done - at least the main color group. Now I have to go paint cabinets for a while.

This needs 50 brown, so that is 75" and 200 each of aqua and neutral - 300" and add a bit for ends too small to use.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:33 AM

Alvastitcher, Lovely 1st 9-patch block.

I have all of my fabric decided on, washed and ironed. Then I decided I don't like the white on white with the other colors. So I ordered a solid piece from Mo Star today. I will wait and see if I like the fabric well enough to start later next week when I get the fabric. I fell in love with this fabric at my LQS, but they are closed today. I want my brown and background fabric to be one fabric for each color. The other 2 colors will be more scrappy. So I am on hold for a while. But I will be lurking from the side lines for a short while. Happy sewing everyone.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:33 PM

As far as using my Accuquilt, my plan is to cut my strips individually for this clue. Then I will experiment with wether I like using the die cutter for subcutting or not. I only plan to cut one strip per fabric, so the die cutter isn’t very practical for the first part. However, I’m working 12 hours a day for the next 3 days so likely won’t do much until Monday.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:18 PM

Finished clue 1. I am switching the light and dark fabric placement (dark neutral) and using different colors.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]584283[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0266.jpg