Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 11-23-2017, 07:32 PM

OK! I cleaned and oiled my machine. Set up the 'stitch guide' credit card and sewed a few other blocks I was working on to check the seam allowance. And warned my family, I will want to sew tomorrow!

I'm all ready to go!!
Old 11-24-2017, 02:04 AM

No problem taking paint chips. We shop Lowe’s all the time. I am sure they are glad to get the traffic in their store from the impulse shopper!
Old 11-24-2017, 03:12 AM

Default Clue #1!

Yay!!! Here we go! Bonnie just posted clue #1!
http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2017/...art-1.html?m=1
Old 11-24-2017, 03:41 AM

Yay! I have the die for the Accuquilt that is needed. Also, I take the paint chips from Lowes, if I want I can also return them after I have picked my fabrics. That way they are not "wasted" So excited to get going on this first clue.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:27 AM

OK - I stand corrected about the paint chips. I still won't get them as I rarely shop at Lowes and find printing a picture of the paint chips is sufficient for me. But each to their own.

I'm so glad the first step is an easy one! Since I'm making a smaller size, 25 - 30 nine patches will be a breeze.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:34 AM

So how are you going to cut the strips to go into the die? It makes 5 strips and that's 8 1/2 inches. But in order to not ruin the outside ones, you need some waste.
For some of these fabrics, I bought yardage. I have to cut some strips to get a small enough piece so that it will go through. This die is one of the biggest backers and there is no room to roll up some extra fabric and send it through. Unless I am missing something.

For those of you without an Accuquilt cutter, fear not. If you can cut accurately, you are probably better off. You really have to watch those edges that you don't cheat fabric when it goes through. You should end up with an entire strip....not a cut off one. I have one in neutral that is cut off and I have no idea which one.

This is also shooting ducks in the dark on a foggy night. How many 1 1/2 strips of this will I need? Am I cutting into a lovely piece of some color and making a 1 1/2 strip that I won't use??? Should I have saved that for some other shape?

For this 50 I will need two WOF chocolate browns, 4 aqua and 6 neutral. Do I want the same fabric for all this set?

Bonnie warned.... No whinning. And I feel as if I am whinning. I'm very good at whinning. My tailbone is totally painful today, I can hardly move.

Also.....is the Quilt board one of the approved places to "meet up"? We have always done this. I only have a Pinterest account and none of the other ones. I get enough junk in the inbox. Please no more.

Would some pictures of the Accuquilt problems be helpful?

Marcia
Old 11-24-2017, 06:52 AM

I’m using all the same brown and neutral, but haven’t decided on the blues. I’m only doing a half to 2/3.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:54 AM

Jane Quilter, your fabrics look great! It occurred to me that we won't necessarily know if the blues are going to end up next to the browns in the quilt, so maybe leave out those darkest blues.

What a cute first unit! Bonnie makes reading the clues such fun with her little asides.

I am determined not to end up with extra units this year!
Old 11-24-2017, 07:27 AM

I peaked at the clue first thing this morning! Can't wait to start cutting and sewing. I don't have a die-cutter, I do it the old-fashioned way.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by kristijoy View Post
I peaked at the clue first thing this morning! Can't wait to start cutting and sewing. I don't have a die-cutter, I do it the old-fashioned way.
Kristijoy, I looked too but I had 5 grandsons overnight. A 17, 3 eighteen yr olds, and one 19. A lot of pancakes have been consumed. I’m recovering & hoping to start this evening. I do it with my rotary cutter too.