Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 12-08-2017, 06:24 AM

This is a big clue! (I thought Bonnie said we might be taking it slow, lol!) Lucky for all of you making a half size. I might have bitten off more than I can chew by deciding to do the full size, but clue one looked so easy I thought I would be sailing! It will probably take me several days just to cut out the units! I have to just keep telling myself it's not a race. With two babies under the age of two, I have a good excuse to be behind.

This unit will look so pretty in any finished quilt. I can't wait to see everyone's progress!
Old 12-08-2017, 06:35 AM

Oh gawd, I hate these units, but I love Bonnie!!!!!
Old 12-08-2017, 07:01 AM

At least we don't have to sew the units into pairs.

I have quite a few extra neutral squares cut from clue #2, so I guess I'll start this clue with the basic method in order to use those up. Once they run out, maybe I'll give the Bonnie method a try. Now to print out the clue!
Old 12-08-2017, 07:21 AM

Oh wow, I have never made units like these. Any recommendations for the best way to make, eek, since I am doing a half, 60 each?
Old 12-08-2017, 07:53 AM

This is a new unit for me as well. I hope I am as excited about the reveal as I am about the clues :-)
Old 12-08-2017, 08:04 AM

Well I went and looked at the clue. When I've done these in the past I've paper pieced them, but not interested in that much paper tearing and printing. Since I'm doing yardage I will make these w/ no waste by cutting strips then cutting parallelograms for the centers, and then cutting strips, then squares then triangles for the ends. If the strips are stacked right sides together (or back sides together) the mirror images will already be set so no big thinking involved there.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:11 AM

oh my - I just made a ton of this type of unit for the Rainbow quilt, and I was happy I was done!

I'll finish up the clue #2 for my two alternate quilts, and then start on this one.

It's not much bigger (in count) than the last one - and I find these units way easier than flying geese. I do them the no waste method - I have 13 coral fabrics, most are fat quarters so it will be real easy to cut two rows of each and then stack them in sets, and cut one one face up and one face down. I do the same with the neutrals, but I only have 6 fabrics there.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:10 AM

step 2 - going, still going, and done just in time...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]584948[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]584949[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]584950[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails step-2-going-eb-ready.jpg   step-2-still-going-web-ready.jpg   step-2-done-web-ready.jpg  
Old 12-08-2017, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
oh my - I just made a ton of this type of unit for the Rainbow quilt, and I was happy I was done!

I'll finish up the clue #2 for my two alternate quilts, and then start on this one.

It's not much bigger (in count) than the last one - and I find these units way easier than flying geese. I do them the no waste method - I have 13 coral fabrics, most are fat quarters so it will be real easy to cut two rows of each and then stack them in sets, and cut one one face up and one face down. I do the same with the neutrals, but I only have 6 fabrics there.
I am being really dense here. I just do not understand the no waste method. I have tried dong them 2 different wahs now and I cannot get the little monsters to come out to the right size. This is really aggravating
Old 12-08-2017, 10:43 AM

Anyone know of an easier way to make these blocks? I hate the waste of all those little triangle pieces (and no, I'm not going to make tiny HST out of them). But when I try to do the parallelograms and triangles, they tend to get eaten by the feed dogs.