Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 12-07-2017, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Thanks, sewbizgirl! Clearly, I need to be checking and assessing my units more than I have been.

LOL, Pagzz!
I've noticed with my seam allowances that if my machine is going to fast, it stretches the bias on the triangle and the seam allowance gets too small. For me...I've had to sew SLOW!
Old 12-07-2017, 03:44 PM

Charming units, NZquilter!

Kalama, I love your reds and blues, and your stash photos are so inspiring!
Old 12-07-2017, 04:48 PM

Did anyone see that picture of FB of the 9 patches and geese laid out like a bird? It was pretty cool.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:07 PM

I'm frustrated and disappointed today. I've been using the folded corners ruler, finding it slow and tedious, but thinking it was all worth it because I was getting perfect geese. Not! Why is it that my practice piece is always perfect, but nothing that comes after?

These geese aren't quite as bad as my Easy Angle/Companion results; for the most part, the bottoms are nice and square, and the center top is where it should be, but those darned side pieces are wonky. I should be able to use them all, but it's very annoying. I guess I should have chosen the trim down option. I think the next time flying geese come my way, I'll try the four-at-a-time method.[/QUOTE]

Lisa, I feel your frustration and I've had the same results with both the Easy Angle and the Folded Corners. The no-waste method has been much more successful for me, but I agree with it could be the seam allowances too. I also will have to check mine more often.

KalamaQuilts, your organization is impressive and I especially like all your interesting neutrals - I can hardly wait to see your finish.
It is wonderful to see all the variations and entices me to step out of my comfort zone more and more. Perhaps next time.
SoBusy, I pray that your mom recovers fully.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
I love seeing everyone's progress. I'm still working on the geese... I did figure out what to do about darks (Bonnie's browns). Found a dark purple Paula Nadelstern , some scraps of dark maroon batik and several dark brown batik FQs, all in my stash, so that's enough to give a little variety anyway. Here's a picture, some of the blues are a bit dark, but depending on where in the quilt they land, it may be ok. My neutrals aren't in the pic, they are all scraps and run from white on white, to beige prints and light to medium value batiks that have grayed out colors.

Haven't started on the 1st clue yet, maybe this weekend I can make some progress on it.
Rob
Rob, I think I would move that 2nd from the top on the left to the neutral stack. Beautiful selection of fabrics! Jane
Old 12-07-2017, 06:23 PM

I need some advice. My Rowenta iron is spewing water out while I am steam ironing. I need to get a new one and wanted to ask what kinds I should look at???

Thanks and Blessings!
Old 12-07-2017, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
Did anyone see that picture of FB of the 9 patches and geese laid out like a bird? It was pretty cool.
I saw that you right it was great.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:49 PM

I have 60 finished, and the rest have the first side sewn on. Eager to see tomorrow's clue!
Attached Thumbnails img_1192_fotor.jpg  
Old 12-08-2017, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
Rob, I think I would move that 2nd from the top on the left to the neutral stack. Beautiful selection of fabrics! Jane
I had that thought too because it’s so light in value. - Problem is I’m short on blues that are not dark... unless I raid my UFO pile and decide some flimsys don’t need borders, now there’s a thought

Rob
Old 12-08-2017, 04:52 AM

Lisa, I love your FQ and the movement/character that the neutrals give it. You have a great collection of neutral prints.

I'm anxious for clue # 3, but will probably not get it started - we have company coming from Africa and they will be here through Christmas.
Merry Christmas to all of you....I will still be watching and learning from all of you!