Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 11-23-2017, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

Beautiful Allietare quilt, Cathy!
Old 11-23-2017, 09:49 AM

I finally picked some fabric. This will be my 2nd attempt of BH MQ. I haven't finished the Allietare yet; however, I have more time to follow along with this one. Maybe I'll put out the Allietare and work on it as well. I printed the instructions for En Provence and love how everyone's turned out, so that is on my bucket list to complete. Happy Thanksgiving to all!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]584237[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]584236[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_1066.jpg   img_1065.jpg  
Old 11-23-2017, 11:51 AM

I don't use paint chips from Lowes since I have no intention of buying paint there. It doesn't seem right to take their paint chips and not buy paint. This is something I don't like about the way Bonnie chooses her colours. I've heard stories of folks going to Lowes and not finding any paint chips in Bonnie's colours. Which leads me to believe they are all being taken by quilters. And a picture above shows 4 or 5 of the same paint chips in one picture. I'm curious if there are any others who are bothered about taking something from a store without the intention of buying the product they go with? I'm not trying to stir up a hornets nest here, but am curious what others think.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:23 PM

I've got a nice collection, more than I thought I would have in my stash. Going to try to use the smallest pieces first.
Attached Thumbnails img_0114.jpg  
Old 11-23-2017, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
I don't use paint chips from Lowes since I have no intention of buying paint there. It doesn't seem right to take their paint chips and not buy paint. This is something I don't like about the way Bonnie chooses her colours. I've heard stories of folks going to Lowes and not finding any paint chips in Bonnie's colours. Which leads me to believe they are all being taken by quilters. And a picture above shows 4 or 5 of the same paint chips in one picture. I'm curious if there are any others who are bothered about taking something from a store without the intention of buying the product they go with? I'm not trying to stir up a hornets nest here, but am curious what others think.
I got the paint chips there last year and though I didn't buy any paint, though I did pick up a couple of things. I guess I also look at it from a marketing standpoint. While not everyone buys something, Bonnie is promoting Lowe's, so free advertising for them. Also for as many people who go with her color scheme, you have just as many that don't, or use it as a jumping off point. If Lowe's considers it a problem they would have someone contact her to not promote it. I do understand and respect your opinion...it would also be interesting to hear from someone a little higher up on the food chain at Lowe's.

By the way, I have found just printing off some of Bonnie's instructions on a color printer is close enough to get what I'm looking for.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
It doesn't bother me. The paint chips are offered for free; they are there for the taking, without conditions. Every chip that goes out into the world increases the chance of exposure for their store and their paint. If it was an issue for them, they could easily put up a sign indicating that the chips are only for those intending to make a paint purchase. I honestly would be surprised to learn that they mind when people without specific painting plans take the chips (but of course, I could be wrong).
Old 11-23-2017, 01:34 PM

Very cool choices, givio! I look forward to seeing how those look.

Lovely fabrics, DHenson and DogHouseMom! I am also going to start with my smallest pieces, unless our first unit is brown and neutral. Most of my neutral scraps are quite light, and I think I will prefer darker neutrals with the brown.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:07 PM

I do not use the paint chips for the MQs. I use my own colors and even if I used Bonnies colors I would choose what I like from those colors, however I do not think it is wrong to use the paint chips even though you have no intention of buying paint. I shop a lot at Lowes and have spent tens of thousands of dollars over the past 25 years or so. I have used the Lowes (and Wally world) paint chips for other then picking paint colors a few times over the years.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:55 PM

so hubby went on a man's shopping run. (Lowes, home depo, ace hardware, harbor freight, tractor supply, sportsman's warehouse, etc) I wont go anymore than he will go on a quilt run with me. Anyway, I put out my paint chip requirement, if he should find them (rumor is they are all snatched up by quiltmakers, ha ha). He came home home all knowledgeable about valspar and their color system. Everywhere, the employees were giving him paint chips. He explained they were for quilt coloring, they explained they could obtain any coloring to match what I wanted, they wanted to give him real paint (in a can) to bring home. They are into color Systems, and encouraging color pallets (just like bonnie and her ringo lake....go look at their pallet system at lowes website, where they have Photographs with matching pallets.....

https://www.lowes.com/l/paint-colors...YaAlibEALw_wcB

Hubby said everywhere he went, there was no way he was leaving with out a paint chip, in fact he said he was lucky to get out alive. (just a joke). He did come home with new metal shelving for my quilt room. Thanks Hubby! Thanks Lowes!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-25-2017 at 02:29 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 11-23-2017, 03:28 PM

Macybaby, I think that is why it is a good idea, at least on the first one, to follow Bonnie's color pallet exactly. Because they do meld together. Since I only have one purple block done, I will change horses in the middle of the stream.....And I've tried to actually change horses in a stream and nearly got killed. It's not a good idea. My horse panicked.

I will re-deisign the 2nd block and do something different.

I never did see where this clue is going to show up....I get her Quiltville feed real early in the a.m.

Thanks, Macybaby. You are a dear.

Marcia