Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 12-08-2017, 10:48 AM

Sheesh...I thought maybe Bonnie was going to go easy since we are getting closer to Christmas. My DH thinks I’m nuts...LOL

I just finished the last of my 200 FG yesterday afternoon. Back to the cutting table...
Old 12-08-2017, 10:50 AM

I'm feeling a little consternation after seeing this clue! I think I'm having a problem with my pressing method perhaps stretching or making my pieces misshapen. Can you tell me your best method? I've been finger pressing, then pressing with an iron. I know some people turn the unit over and press from the backside, making the seam go one way or the other, then flipping it over and pressing the front, but I have troubles with getting the seam to open enough when pressing from the back, and therefor stretching when I repress from the front. Is that clear as mud? I've been paying attention to starching, cutting, making sure my seams are 1/4", and yet I get wonky. Maybe it's just me? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you in advance.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:38 AM

Oh my! These blocks look challenging! Glad doing half size. Just get more confirmation of that as the clues are revealed. Probably won't have time today to work on the cutting part but it is supposed to be rainy tomorrow morning so that will be a good time for it.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:39 AM

Belfry, send a piece of waste fabric through first, then keep adding the rest as a chain. It is the first one that my machine wants to eat too.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:01 PM

I am seeing a lot of quilters being nervous about these units on FB too. I think I'll do the Simple Folded corners rule method. This trial unit turned out perfect on the first go. It was really no harder the all those geese. And the waste fabric isn't much. I made a bonus triangle for the fun of it and it measures at 1.25"! I'm not going to feel guilty tossing that

Good luck everyone!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 12-08-2017, 12:08 PM

Actually, on second thought, I might hang onto those tiny waste triangles and make a miniature quilt for my sewing corner.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:20 PM

Cute little HST’s!
Old 12-08-2017, 12:21 PM

Well I got out my trusty paper and pencil, drew out what I wanted on paper made myself a template for my ruler. Tried my sizes and shapes. Figured my shape placement for sewing and they turned out perfect. I have 4 made, all my pieces cut and now ready to chain sew. I am doing a no waste method, but there is a tiny, really tiny amount of trimming, but was going to have to do that for the dog ears anyway.

I have been taking pics of my way as I go. I got to thinking I might have enough fabric to do the full amount since she is doing a lot of waste and I have so far done no waste methods, so I wanted to be able to remind myself what I did after the reveal in case I can or want to do the full amount.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:23 PM

Bellfry, SandraP's method is what I do too, a scrap first and chain piecing to keep those triangle points from getting eaten
Old 12-08-2017, 12:40 PM

My intention was to do the full size, but clue 3 makes me wonder if I really want to do that. I have all of clue 1 and part of clue 2 done. I didn't quite follow Bonnie's colors. When I went to pull fabrics I realized I still had a bin with the fabric I pulled for Grand Illusion, which I never did start, so I'm going pink and green instead of coral and aqua, and using black and white for my dark and neutral. I'll have to try a few of clue 3 before playing catch up.
Attached Thumbnails clue-1-2.jpg