Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 12-08-2017, 04:02 PM

Unit 3 - I made a practice piece following the first method Bonnie described and it was not great. So...I chickened out and am paper piecing these. I had to draft my own template but it was pretty simple. I pretty much drew out on graph paper method 1 that Bonnie described....and woola a paper piecing template.

Got all my pieces cut up and should be able to start sewing them tomorrow.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:35 PM
Power Poster

Great little tute you posted, Cathy. Very helpful.

I cut the 2x5 rectangles first, then made a bunch of 2" triangles with the easy angle ruler. Then I sewed them on to the ends of my rectangles, and flipped them and pressed and trimmed the orange corners underneath, once I lined them up with the rectangle below them. You can't get the wrong size block that way. Sometimes the end triangles get shifted a bit, and I have to pick them out and sew them again. This is an easy method but the only thing that doesn't work well with it is pressing the seams the way Bonnie said to. That involves repressing one of the seams after I have pressed and trimmed. I wish I hadn't done it.

I am doing the half sized quilt, so I only needed 120 total of lefts and rights. For some reason I cut the whole 240 of orange rectangles! I'll keep the extra 120 and hope I can use them in another step. (Bonnie may have us do this again with blue or brown corners in the next step!) We got snowed in by 5 inches of snow, and had the power out most of the day! I got all my cutting done, and as soon as I got the treadle machine all ready to sew, the power came on! Ha, ha. I got all my "lefties" done today. "Righties" are for another day!
Old 12-08-2017, 04:39 PM
Power Poster

Great blocks, Kass. I love your pinky batik with the grid lines on it.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:48 PM

Darn - I forgot we are suppose to press them a specific way. I have all the triangles sewn on one end and pressed, and ready to do the other end. Well, it won't be the first time I've had to repress a couple hundred blocks. Way better than ripping!
Old 12-08-2017, 06:12 PM

I made about 5 pairs of these parallelograms tonight before dinner. I used the 'cut 2 into a rectangle' and then trim the corners. I used my Deb Tucker Corner Pop Ruler (does the same thing as the one Bonnie uses). Then sewed on triangles. These seemed to come out more accurate for me than the flying geese. They just needed some sliver trimming. The ticket for me was being super careful when I cut. And sew SLOWLY!!!

I'm doing half size. Only 55 more pairs to go!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]584969[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20171208_173338-small.jpg  
Old 12-08-2017, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
.....We got snowed in by 5 inches of snow, and had the power out most of the day! I got all my cutting done, and as soon as I got the treadle machine all ready to sew, the power came on! Ha, ha. I got all my "lefties" done today. "Righties" are for another day!
Good to hear you had a survival sewing machine plan Priorities!
Old 12-08-2017, 06:46 PM

Very pretty oranges, Kristi.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:13 PM

Kristi Love I Zentangle prints.
I did get 60 of the FG done I'll work along on those while doing week 3.
O boy what can I say about week 3. This is where I bogged down on Grand I. I seem to remember that if you sew from the inside edge of the rectangle to the opposite corner of the square it will help your machine from grabbing the fabric and pulling it down the needle plate. Plus using the folded scrap, or leader -ender first if needed.
I tried one with the first method it turned out great. I'll stick with that. Threw out the scraps, the object is to use it up right, these are too small for me deal with anymore. After several move with large containers of small scraps I said it's just not worth it unless it's Kaffe Fassett
Old 12-08-2017, 08:16 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]584970[/ATTACH]
Clue 1 & 2 are complete! I played around with the geese just cutting/sewing as BH instructed - not so good. Used the Simple Folded Corners ruler (BH recommended) using the 'No Trim' method - some good some not so good. Reluctantly, I decided to use the 'Oversized Corner' method with the SFC ruler and trimmed where necessary all around the units to come up with pretty-close-to-perfect geese. Took more time and created more waste (cutting triangles larger than needed) but I ended up with consistently good results so it was worth it to me. Using a seam gauge and taping down a guide on my machine really helped to keep my seam allowance accurate & straight. Thank you QB folks for all of the great suggestions - it's so wonderful to put the advice to use and see the results!

Hope to cut for Clue 3 this weekend as we're under a blanket of snow.

Thank you MacyBaby for the mini-tute! I will definitely study it before I begin.

KristiJoy - Your Clue 3 pieces are beautiful!

Kassaundra - I love your bold fabric choices - can't wait to see how that all comes together!

Christine
Attached Thumbnails orl-mystery-clue-1-2.jpg  
Old 12-08-2017, 09:35 PM

MacyBaby!!! That is brilliant!!!! Thank you for such concise directions and pictures!!!
Kirsten