Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 11-17-2017, 02:49 PM

NZQuilter - I also expect a late start with this years mystery. First chance to even look at it will be Sunday evening, or even (yikes!) Monday evening after work. My daughter and her husband will be coming up from DC on Thursday and they want to Black Friday shop the day away! I don't care too much about the shopping part, but will really enjoy spending time with them until they return home to DC on Sunday. DD is a Navy veteran like her dad and grandmother, and DSIL is Active Duty Navy. So, it is not always easy for her to have "back home" time.

I've been picking through my bins for fabric choices, and doing some LQS hunting and having a hard time with the turquoise. I can't decide between going more teal, or more blue/aquamarine. I also like a grey/teal color.

I really may just end up using any/all in-between! I wonder what color will be in the first clue? I'd love it to be turquoise!

Anyone want to guess the first color used?
Old 11-17-2017, 03:55 PM

Thanks for your input everyone.

I was also worried about the golden orange running the show, the yellow family are such bullies.

Yes I am using the black floral as my neutral, and the white on blue as my dark.

I would have LOVED to use that batik as the aqua I love that fabric, but as you guessed I do not have enough.

Windblown, yes, I have been saving our amazing batik, this will be it's end for me, but I still have swap blocks made up that I haven't made into a top. I have been working on our BYC Underground railroad blocks, I am hoping to get it finished soon.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:09 PM

I started Grand Illusion. It was definitely "my" colors as I love the brights with black and white, but honestly, it made me dizzy to work on it. Oh well...the fabric did not go to waste! I've used it in many quilts since then. I downloaded the dark red and grey quilt (Altiere?) and the other one (can't remember the name). I've only been downloading since GI was the mystery - so three total and this year's makes 4.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
ILoveToQuilt, I love your avatar! One of my aunts loves anything with lighthouses on it. It might be a great gift idea for her... Ummm
Thanks! DH chose this pattern many, many years ago. The shop in Freeport, Maine where I bought it is long out of business (now a Whoopie Pie store) and many of the fabrics used are out of print now. The backing (which is all lighthouses) was also bought at a long gone shop! I've had it put away for at least 10 years now.

NZ: PM me when you get a chance!
Old 11-17-2017, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
Well I thought I was completely ready w/ my fabric choices. Then I measured just to make 100% sure before committing on the first cut and I was short w/ my aqua color. So here is my dilemma. I use yardage one fabric per color. If I stick w/ blue for my aqua I will need to do it w/ 2 fabrics while the rest will be only 1 fabric. I do have a one fabric solid I can use it looks great w/ my other fabrics (so does my blue choice) so which to chose?????

[ATTACH=CONFIG]583987[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]583988[/ATTACH]
Kassundra:

Where did you get the black floral fabric??? I have been looking for something like that.

Blessings!
Carsey
Old 11-17-2017, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by SuziSew View Post
For those debating on Bonnie's Essential Triangle Tool, it's 30% off at Connecting Threads

http://www.connectingthreads.com/too...___D82403.html
Oh man, I should have waited!! Oh well!
Old 11-17-2017, 04:51 PM

Wal Mart, I was just at my wally world this week and they still had some, so maybe yours does too.
Originally Posted by Carsey View Post
Kassundra:

Where did you get the black floral fabric??? I have been looking for something like that.

Blessings!
Carsey
Old 11-17-2017, 05:49 PM

Old 11-17-2017, 10:03 PM

The Merle family, I love your batiks. They go well with Bonnie’s colors this year. Several of your fabrics I have. Unfortunately I didn’t have enough of the fabric or I had match the fabric to another project.

GramE, I like both color ways. I lean towards the blue, just b/c I like blues.

Yes, I’m counting the days. I count 6 more days.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:01 AM

Pagzz, your colors are gorgeous and bright.
Carol, like all the others, I love your peacock fabric on its own and as a blender, because it ties all the colors of the quilt together, but I agree that in small pieces it won't impress. I'd definitely use it in a border and it will shine there.
Kele, I love your alternate colors. The original photo has green and really impressive sunsets can have purple casts just before light disappears.
Christine of the Merkles, all your colors are luscious, especially the corals. I think that most sunsets have more of the pinky orange colors than the Valspar color shows. More importantly, your pinky fabric pulls all your coral/oranges together.