Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 11-18-2017, 05:45 PM
Power Poster

Ok, finally put my fabrics together. I wasn't able to follow through with my first idea of teal green and raspberry... as those colors are nearly impossible to find (and I like scrappy!). So instead I went with true orange and true blue. My colors are basically just louder versions of Bonnie's. Can't say I love this colorway, but maybe it will work out as a nice quilt for a man. A man who likes color.
I bought a few of these, but pulled most of them out of my scrap and small pieces bins. I will edit the selection once I see the block units she is using.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]584041[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsc03801-2-.jpg  
Old 11-18-2017, 05:49 PM
Power Poster

I see three already I want to cull...
Old 11-18-2017, 06:43 PM

I really like your color way, Sewbiz! Nice blue fabrics too. (Blue is my favorite color)
Old 11-18-2017, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
Wal Mart, I was just at my wally world this week and they still had some, so maybe yours does too.
Thanks!!! I will check it out!!
Old 11-18-2017, 07:33 PM

That middle blue w/ the salmon flowers looks like the fabric I got from you in the last boom. I think blue and orange make a good combo.
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Ok, finally put my fabrics together. I wasn't able to follow through with my first idea of teal green and raspberry... as those colors are nearly impossible to find (and I like scrappy!). So instead I went with true orange and true blue. My colors are basically just louder versions of Bonnie's. Can't say I love this colorway, but maybe it will work out as a nice quilt for a man. A man who likes color.
I bought a few of these, but pulled most of them out of my scrap and small pieces bins. I will edit the selection once I see the block units she is using.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]584041[/ATTACH]
Old 11-18-2017, 09:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
That middle blue w/ the salmon flowers looks like the fabric I got from you in the last boom. I think blue and orange make a good combo.
Yes, that's the fabric you got from me! And it's also one of the three I've culled. I also pulled out the orange with the blue flowers, and the neutral with the big blue flowers. Usually with these scrappy mysteries I'm all over the board with my colors, but this time I'm thinking of staying more monochromatic within colors. (Not so many prints with lots of other colors in them). We'll see what happens.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:48 AM

I'm not good at scrappy, so I ususally don't say much, but if I were going to do scrappy I would keep a much stronger "line" between the colors then what I see a lot of people doing. (like not using the blue that has orange in the print or similar)
Yes, that's the fabric you got from me! And it's also one of the three I've culled. I also pulled out the orange with the blue flowers, and the neutral with the big blue flowers. Usually with these scrappy mysteries I'm all over the board with my colors, but this time I'm thinking of staying more monochromatic within colors. (Not so many prints with lots of other colors in them). We'll see what happens.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:57 AM

I've done a lot of scrappy quilts, and learned to keep a good differentiation between colors. I did one that was white/red/pink and ended up with some problems with pinks that were too red, and reds that were too pink and it messed up the pattern. I fixed some, but in the end really wished I'd pulled more of the red/white pattern fabric that was not at least 75% red - that messed up the pattern too.

You also have to be real careful with prints and as you are cutting, if the piece ends up looking like a different color because of how it's cut, don't use it. I did a quilt using Tiole, and had a lot of small triangles. As I was sewing I realized I has some that were nothing but the upper back end of the horse. I pulled about 6 of them out of the pile. I also pulled out any that had an area of intense printing, as they ended up reading way too black in a spot they were suppose to read mostly white.

I've been ignoring my fabric for this mystery. I've been so tempted to buy more and had to keep telling myself that I already have way more yardage than I'll need, and I have enough variety. I'm really bad at overbuying fabric for projects.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I've been ignoring my fabric for this mystery. I've been so tempted to buy more and had to keep telling myself that I already have way more yardage than I'll need, and I have enough variety. I'm really bad at overbuying fabric for projects.
That's my problem too. I end up with a whole new 'stash' of fabrics left over from the project. I am in the middle of a Farmer's Wife Pony Club quilt too, and I've collected so many neat fabrics that are perfect for it. But when I'm done I think I could make 8 or 10 more Pony quilts out of the fabric I have collected.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:42 AM

That's my problem too. I end up with a whole new 'stash' of fabrics left over from the project. I am in the middle of a Farmer's Wife Pony Club quilt too, and I've collected so many neat fabrics that are perfect for it. But when I'm done I think I could make 8 or 10 more Pony quilts out of the fabric I have collected.
I don't want to sound stupid but what is a Pony quilt?