adult bibs

Old 03-31-2011, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by quilter711
When addressing the bibs at nursing homes, please call them protectors. The reason for this is not to take any self esteem away from the patients. I have a hard time remembering to call them "protectors" when I visit in the nursing homes. Great job that you ladies are doing!

Nancy
Quilter711
The nursing home where my dad is calls them clothing protectors, too. They are made from terry cloth, and seem to work well.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:16 AM

that would be great babycakes, but don't go to any trouble with it. would love to see it... if its ok...

psychomomquilter/Mary
Old 03-31-2011, 12:09 PM

Here it is.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-177871.jpe  
Old 03-31-2011, 12:26 PM

We used hand towels and ribbing for the neck.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:36 PM

that is exactly the Pattern I am looking for!
Old 03-31-2011, 05:18 PM

Call your local nursing home for a bib pattern. They usually have a size and fabric they prefer. They look like BabyCake's picture.I have made loads of them. Usually wanted terrycloth or towels, bias bound and Velcro closures. Happy sewing! They will love you!
Old 03-31-2011, 05:18 PM

My sewing group made these shirt protectors for a nursing home. We decided not to put the pocket on the bottom but to make them a little longer so they would cover their lap. The reason was that it would be easier to sweep the floor (they do this anyway) then to turn every pocket inside out to get the food out.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:10 AM

ok! thanks!
Old 04-01-2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
http://with-heart-and-hands.blogspot...adult-bib.html
this is a nice bib, but doesn't have the 'tray' at the bottom. Seems easy enough to fashion that. Just liked the looks of this.
Great site. How I wish I had known about this or thought of it for my mother and husband.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by quilter711
When addressing the bibs at nursing homes, please call them protectors. The reason for this is not to take any self esteem away from the patients. I have a hard time remembering to call them "protectors" when I visit in the nursing homes. Great job that you ladies are doing!

Nancy
Quilter711
As a person who has spent most of her adult life working in nursing homes, this is the most ignorant "rule" bureaucrats have come up with yet!
In case anyone doubts me, do a google search on the the history of bibs and one will find that they have a place as the front that was under the jacket, but on top of the shirt in a tuxedo ... it wasn't a negative thing at the height of fashion, and it isn't a negative thing to an adult who spills all over every place.
Do you see how far we have come in our desire to "not offend" others? Who was really being offended by calling a bib a bib? Some ignorant youngster who one day will call it a bib while another pinhead tries to explain that while pinhead has no problem call it a bib, some others might object and find it degrading - - this is silliness! and, totally uncalled for! goodness! These elders have their most private moments suddenly exposed to all sorts of strangers, even in the middle of the night! Do we really think they care if we call a "bib" a BIB???
I am almost sorry for my outburst, but I am so sad over watching people have to monitor every word they utter, not because they care one whit about the sword our words can become, but because some bureaucrat decided that the word was inappropriate. The same bureaucrat who probably has no problem using expletives for the most simple conversation - - but, of course, he isn't yelling so it really isn't supposed to offend anyone, right????
I think sometimes, that we must provide a lot of entertainment for someone with turning ourselves inside out following silly rules that really have no place in the "rule book" - - especially not in America. <wave>