Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Are Quilters a Dying Breed? >
  • Are Quilters a Dying Breed?

• Are Quilters a Dying Breed?

Old 07-14-2011, 10:51 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

No! I think it is evolving as a craft into more of an art form, certainly here in the UK. There are a lot of young textile artists using the craft of patchwork and quilting in their work and I believe that this is where the future lies. Evolve or die. :-D
    Old 07-14-2011, 10:58 AM

Oh I hope not because I'm just getting warmed up!!!
    Old 07-14-2011, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
    Oh I hope not because I'm just getting warmed up!!!
    :thumbup:
    Old 07-14-2011, 11:01 AM
    Banned

see...the wording of the Title "dying breed" had me yelling YES>>....we LOVE to DYE......

as for Dieing..I doubt it...way too many cool gadgets to keep the "get it done NOW" generation interested!
    The day they are told to do anything the REAL way...they will drop it in a heartbeat...

NOW will it die in the traditional quilting sense..NO...this is a HUGE industrial craft...it branches into so many different venues now that there will always be room for the traditional. Even now with more of the GREENIE movement you find more traditional means of sewing/quilting, etc popping up in blogs!
    Old 07-14-2011, 11:08 AM
    Power Poster

Thanks to technology the younger generation will always have instant how to make anything at their fingertips if they do get interested.
    Old 07-14-2011, 11:17 AM

I don`t think it will die.It will evolve I think.I have been into quilting for 25+ years and I personally have changed from how I started.A lot of the new technology has made a lot of quilting ways better.I still do some hand work and I think a lot will continue with it.Quilting is more than just an art form or craft.I think for most of us it becomes a passion and sometimes a life saver.
    I just finished a shop hop with 13 shops involved and saw alot of younger people,also men.
    Old 07-14-2011, 11:18 AM
    Banned

It's a multi million dollar business so unlikely
    Old 07-14-2011, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
    No! I think it is evolving as a craft into more of an art form, certainly here in the UK. There are a lot of young textile artists using the craft of patchwork and quilting in their work and I believe that this is where the future lies. Evolve or die. :-D
    ditto where i live. i know very few people who quilt that aren't using it as a medium for their art.

they are artists first and just happen to work with fabric.
    Old 07-14-2011, 11:21 AM

I think its surviving quite nicely - in fact there are numbers of 20-something quilters out there that are designing fabrics and making traditional patterns modern - plus its big business - I think quilting will be around for a very long time...
    Old 07-14-2011, 11:30 AM

I believe it goes in cycles. I actually interested my mother and mother-in-law in quilting. Both had sewn, my mother-in-law out of necessity and my mother had actually majored in Home ecnomics in the couple of years she went to college. Both of them started quilting in their late sixties. I have been quilting since I was 16 and am now 60. My daughter, step-daughter, daughters-in law and my three grand daughters have shown absolutely no interest.
    I live in the mid-Atlantic region and am able to go to quilt shows in the PA area where there are still healthy Amish and Mennonite communities. The quilt shows in those areas are well attended but I see few people there under forty. As a former member of a professonal quilting group, all of the members were of my vintage give or take 10 years. Our modern version of quilting can be a very expensive hobby. Many of our children don't have that kind of money to spend after they keep up with the latest electronic gadgets etc. My kids spend a lot of money on their elaborate cellphone plans that I put into quilting. I hope I live long enough for one of my daughters or granddaughters to ask me to teach them to quilt.