Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do I Really Need an "Add a Quarter" Ruler? >
  • Do I Really Need an "Add a Quarter" Ruler?

• Do I Really Need an "Add a Quarter" Ruler?

Old 07-10-2012, 04:41 AM

Guess I am "odd" too as I love my add a quarter. Makes it so much easier to line up and cut. I also use an old credit card to fold the paper on the line. Makes the line sharper and easier to fold. Of course, I love tools of any kind...lol.
    Old 07-10-2012, 04:42 AM
    Power Poster

But - if the ruler isn't very expensive - sometimes it's just simpler/easier to have the same things 'the other kids' in the class have - even if it isn't really necessary -

I think I have them - somewhere - but I usually just use whichever ruler that has 1/4 inch markings on first.
    Old 07-10-2012, 04:43 AM

I think that if I started out using a regular ruler, I would be fine. I like my 1/4 inch ruler, don't like to paper piece without it. But I have done it without because I lost my ruler. Still couldn't find it even after cleaning my sewing area.
    Old 07-10-2012, 05:22 AM

I love my 1/4 inch ruler. It has a lip on it and you can place it and cut without thinking. I personally think it's a tool worth having.
    Old 07-10-2012, 05:42 AM
    Power Poster

It depends on what PP class you are taking. I took a paperless paper piecing class and the add a 1/4 ruler was necessary. It was the one with the thicker part at the 1/4 so you could line up the ridge to the folded back paper to cut the fabric for the next piece. You ended up with the freezer paper original pattern still in one piece when you were done with the block. I loved this method!
    Old 07-10-2012, 05:52 AM

The add-a-quarter ruler has been too useful for me to want to give it up. I keep it handy with my paper-piecing equipment and believe that it makes things go faster because I can "feel" my cut rather than measuring. I also have a piece of straight-cut template plastic to use as a straight edge for folding paper, a small swivel cutting mat that can sit right beside my sewing machine, a small rotary cutter and mini iron. This is my PP tool kit.
    Old 07-10-2012, 06:04 AM
    Power Poster

I simply would not PP if I did not have my add-a-quarter ruler! The lip makes all the difference. It stays where it should be, is easy to line up, is definitely NOT the same as a regular ruler.
    Old 07-10-2012, 06:04 AM

Hi,
    I have used the 1/4" ruler and I have done without it. If your new to quilting and paper peicing it is easier to trim your fabric because the ruler has a guide that will stop at the paper and will not move when you are trimming your peices. I have used just the plain ruler and added some small sticky notes to the back of the ruler to make the same sort of guide with my smaller quilting ruler. It is a matter of preferances.
    rmichap
    Old 07-10-2012, 06:10 AM
    Power Poster

I have done paper piecing and just eyeball it and often for very small squares just use a scissor. I just got the add a quarter and must say I like it. If used as directed it is nice as it has a lip. Look at the directions and then you see what I mean. Those little rulers are super cheap and in my opinion work nice.
    Old 07-10-2012, 06:14 AM

I don't use one either. I have a 3 1/2 x 6" ruler that I use as it's the smallest ruler I own and has all kinds of handy markings. Use this one for all my small trimming jobs.