Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • In tears about my first quilt >
  • In tears about my first quilt

• In tears about my first quilt

Old 01-12-2014, 05:12 PM

oh chris i am so sorry!

it would be easier to offer up help with some images. but know that most things can be fixed, one way or the other.

(sometimes the fix is a big brown box for the current project and a trip to the quilt store, sans auntie!)

aileen
    Old 01-12-2014, 05:13 PM

Yup ... take a deep breath, take pictures of what you have and post them here. We CAN help. You will almost certainly get several ideas as opposed to one (we are different people after all ... not the Borg <g>), but once you see an idea YOU like we will all support that idea and help you run with it.

As for your bossy Aunt ... I'm sure she was only trying to help you. You and she will have to eventually define the boundaries between helping and controlling. The more you learn about quilting, the more you will feel comfortable to do your thing and take her advice only when you are comfortable doing so.
    Old 01-12-2014, 05:15 PM
    Power Poster

Well, at least you've met the quilt police, and now you know not to listen to her. Follow your own judgment and things will improve. It could be that your 9 patch would have looked really great with some sashing added. And you might still be able to do that. I agree with the others that if you post a picture you can get lots of helpful tips on how to salvage your quilt.
    Old 01-12-2014, 06:02 PM

Some people think they own the world, thus push others to comply with their wishes. Those same people never admit they are wrong and never help clean up the mess they made.

Throughout our lives we learn things that we wish we never had to learn. Use this experience to learn how to politely say no and mean it. If nothing else works with her, pack up your stuff and put it away whenever she is around, and don't discuss any of your in-progress projects. When you finish a quilt, show it to her, but be prepared to ignore her criticism. Then just smile and say, "I love it just the way it is." and walk away. That'll be tough to do, but in the long run engaging in a control battle with her is a waste of your time.

The others on the board have given good advice. Give them some pictures to get their minds working on a solution. Who knows? There may be someone who lives close by who can mentor you!

Last edited by cathyvv; 01-12-2014 at 06:05 PM.
    Old 01-12-2014, 06:16 PM

Actually I think you were very brave to let dear auntie try to help. I am too much of a control freak to even consider it, even if it were in my best interests.

Celebrate that you are on the QB. You are lucky to have such resources available.

In other words, reframe the results into a more positive force.

Whatever you do decide to do I would suggest you iron them with Best Press or starch. If you are in an area with lots of bugs around you can put some bay leaves in with the fabric if you starch the pieces. Separate them as yuo are able. Then take some pictures and post them. There are a lot of creative quilters on the QB who would be able to help you.
    Old 01-12-2014, 06:22 PM
    Power Poster

I'm sorry you feel overwhelmed just now. If these are separate pieces, you could divide them into groups and try making different quilts out of them. Try not to let it throw you. When we can see them, maybe we can help more.
    Old 01-12-2014, 06:53 PM

I am very sorry this has happened to you on your first quilt. We can help you if you want some or just encouragement. I guess I am glad no one in my family quilts. Hugs to you and hang in there.
    Old 01-12-2014, 07:29 PM

Sometimes it takes awhile for the frustration to disappear... if you have other fabric consider setting this aside till you can pick it up without so much .... emotion. Do post a picture as there maybe a solution... so many creative minds here!
    Old 01-12-2014, 09:09 PM

Sorry that happened. I don't know your situation but Auntie didn't do you any favors. Maybe I should just go with "If you don't have anything nice to say.." and leave it at that.
    Don't stay upset. It's just fabric and from what I've seen it's pretty forgiving stuff. You can take seams apart and put them back a few times with no lasting harm. It's a lesson I've been learning the hard way. The point is that other than a loss of time and effort there's no real harm done. Continue putting your quilt together your way and be happy. Oh, one other thing: We love pictures.
    Rodney
    Old 01-12-2014, 09:21 PM

Oh dear, I hate to see such frustrations. Your first few quilts will all be a learning process, so dont fret. And being your first quilt, it should go the way you had planned. Your auntie is already experienced and listen to her advice but doesnt mean you have to follow it. The first quilt will have mistakes in it, but is how you learn. It doesnt have to be perfect. Try to keep your peace and respect your auntie for her help, but design your own quilt with what you have in mind. Designing a simple quilt is like putting puzzle pieces together. yuppers, take pics, ladies here are a great help and full of good advice.