Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
In tears about my first quilt >

In tears about my first quilt

In tears about my first quilt

Old 01-12-2014, 09:22 PM

I'm so sorry this has happened on your very first quilt. Sounds like you were doing well by yourself without "help." I agree with what cathyvv said. You were brave enough to venture out on your own, so don't let this throw you. You can do this! Hugs to you!
Old 01-12-2014, 09:40 PM

I'm so sorry. I can feel your sadness and some anger, too, and it's understandable. You put hours and hours and hours and HOURS into that many squares. I'd be in tears, too, if someone (albeit well-meaning) "dismantled" mine to make it "better"! I even had a QUILT TEACHER tell me I put 2 wrong blocks in my sampler quilt after she had clearly said, "Make 20 of xyz, and the other 5 will be your choice." So when she told me they were "the wrong blocks," I respectfully stood my ground and said, "They're not wrong. They're my choices, and you've always said 'your quilt, your choices." But still I wanted to cry (and throw something) but I didn't.

All that to say, at the very least, you've learned a lot more about quilting than you may have wanted to for the first time! LOL. Listen to others, but trust your instincts. Even what people say on here, take with a grain of salt . You'll grow in confidence by sticking to what pleases you and not what others say is "right" or "better."

Don't worry; it will all work out. It really well. If you're still upset now, put it aside, start something that lifts your spirits, forgive your aunt, and move on. If you're okay to pick it up again right now, snap some photos, give us a chance to offer SUGGESTIONS ONLY! Ultimately, quilting should be a joy. When it's not, do something else.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:59 AM

Take a deep breath and mull it over. You didn't care for the way they were going together as a quilt, and now it's going to be a jigsaw puzzle to make what you've got work together in that size. So...

Since your original pattern has been reduced to pieces, why don't you set your sights on using just some of what you have now in several different projects? If you still want a big quilt, take some of the nine patches and put them into a quilt with solid squares (that you'll cut new) between each nine patch. Use the "leftovers" in smaller wall hangings, table runners, or hot pads. Nothing need go to waste.

Good luck and have fun with it!
Old 01-13-2014, 04:03 AM
Vat

Don't let this MESS discourage you. If you need to take every piece apart and start all over, maybe that woud be the best. Look at some books or magazines and get you some ideas. Keep it simple ! ! a 4 or 9 patch is a good idea. Look for ideas for scrappy quilts, you can find them even on line. GOOD LUCK ! ! ! Let us see your finished quilt.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:17 AM

I would put this aside for a while. Your pieces aren't "ruined" for good. Once you've gotten a little more experience with quilting and had time to put aside the frustration, your creative brain will kick in. An easy pattern to start quilting with is the Yellow Brick Road or one of the Gumballs sold by Stitchin Heaven. Dot Collins also has a pattern called Tossed Salad that is very forgiving and fun to make. I can put you in contact with her if you decide you want her pattern. Those pieces will take on a new life as you move along in your quilting journey!
Old 01-13-2014, 04:35 AM

I am so sorry you are experiencing this issue. You have come to the right place to get help. The wonderful members of this board will help you clean up the mess and you will end up with a quilt that you will love and be proud of having made. I know this from experience.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:40 AM

When you are a new quilter it always pays to make something with good clear instructions. You can launch out into the "do it your way" thing later, however we are too late for that now. Please post pictures so the board can help you. All is not lost. It can be fixed. Chalk it up to "tuition", the cost of learning something new. We will be happy to help you. On this board we throw out our best ideas and then you get to choose which one you like best and proceed from there. Cheer up! There is help here.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:50 AM

Sounds like you did a lot of good work, putting the blocks together. I suppose your Aunt meant well, but she should have at least pinned a block together to show you how to make the quilt she was telling you about....to just leave you with undone blocks is ridiculous. Not to worry....our group can help. Tell us how many groupings of the different sizes you have. Did you start out with a pattern, or did you start sewing squares together to make the blocks, then you would decide how you want to arrange them? You may want to cut some 6.5" squares of white, or a plain fabric to place in between your nine patches. You may have enough blocks to make two quilt tops....Depends on the pattern you were trying. Keep posting so we can help.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:51 AM

I agree that you should put this away for a while. Find an actual, simple pattern in a book ( or online) you like and make that. Start small - wall hanging or lap quilt. There are a lot of beginners books and videos. It will really help if you follow some actual instructions as you learn, and then you can modify those directions to suit you. I have a friend who cooks by throwing stuff together and then doesn't understand why it tastes funny. Same thing with quilting - follow a pattern first to use other's trial and error, and come out with a project that fits together and looks right, and THEN wing it. And don't mention the new project to your aunt!!!
Old 01-13-2014, 05:06 AM

That wasn't very nice of her to leave you with a mess. Without photos, I am not sure why the 9 patches didn't come together, were they different sizes? I would bag it in a large zip loc and come back to it later.But, if you feel like you have to complete it now, I would not get hung up on a "pattern". Since she left you with different sizes, is there a way to sash blocks and make them all the same size, then piece them together?