Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Tears of Happiness

My daughter is pregant; she's due mid July. Because she has had a child w/spina bifida, her chances of having another child w/sb is increased.

Yesterday she got the results of her blood test and she was told that she got a positive result for sb. She's already pretty distressed and this news only added to her concerns. She was also told that the placenta was too low & it was cause for concern...

Well today she was scheduled for her 3rd ultrasound. Knowing how distressed she's been feeling her hubby called the hospital & managed to get the head doctor, in what ever department that has to do w/sb. Fortunately this doctor was able to make it to my daughter's appointment. The doctor said that if she had not had a child w/sb b4, he would read the blood results as negative (the numbers were like 1 out 107,000). He also did the special ultra sound & did a through inspection of the baby.

Good news: The baby is p.u.r.f.e.c.t,
    her placenta is where it's suppose to be, and
    it's going to be a boy!

My daughter was so relieved & happy that she cried. When she sends me a picture of the ultrasound I'll post.

Here's a picture of Morgan, my grand daugher. She may not be able to walk, but she's p.u.r.f.e.c.t just the same :)

Morgan work'n hard to pedal her adaptive bike w/her hands (no help from her legs).
    Name:  Attachment-32157.jpe
Views: 16
Size:  160.3 KB

Morgan's 1s time bowling (now she does it from her wheel chair).
    Name:  Attachment-32158.jpe
Views: 15
Size:  34.1 KB

1st pony ride ("I don't need to ride the pony. I just need a hug. ).
    Name:  Attachment-32159.jpe
Views: 15
Size:  74.3 KB

She is absolutely beautiful. Spina Bifida just mean that once in a while things need just a little adjustment here and there and oddles of love!

Your granddaughter is beautiful!!! I am so glad to hear that your grandson looks perfect on the ultrasound!!!
    Now she can relax a little more and not be so worried and even enjoy the pregnancy!

Wonderful, wonderful news. I'm very happy for your daughter. And by the way - Morgan is gorgeous!

Your granddaughter is beautiful and congrats on the healthy baby boy!!

What a cutie she is and look at that determined look on her face, nothing is going to stop her :-D Glad that doctor did the exam and such so your daughter is reassured.

Banned
    Congratulations! And Morgan is adorable!

Your Morgan is a real cutie and sweetie. She will adapt to her abilties and just do things differently. Glad your Daughter got good news about her baby.

Here's a scan'n of my grand son 2 be! Scan isn't nearly as clear as the actual picture. He looks way cute in the actual picture - just like his dad!

It's A Boy
    Name:  Attachment-29973.jpe
Views: 17
Size:  26.6 KB

Congratulations!!
    Did she go to Burlington? I went there when I was told that my Emmanuel had Downs syndrome. The Dr was excellent and very understanding. After he did the test he said that he saw no sign of it, to go on and enjoy my pregnancy. I had a perfectly normal baby. They have some great Drs there and your daughter is in great hands.

Sooooo happy for you! And you are right, that granddaughter is PERFECT!

Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    She is absolutely beautiful. Spina Bifida just mean that once in a while things need just a little adjustment here and there and oddles of love!
    She is adorable - but I can't agree with the rest of this. Spina bifida is a seriously disabling condition. Right now it's not visible to us in Morgan's pictures, but it's not just "a little adjustment once in a while" for most children and adults. It's major, and it's every day of their lives and usually, of their family's lives, which often revolve around the person's needs and limitations. At least things have gotten better with better accessibility, the availability of adaptive devices and more aware social attitudes.

I am very, very glad for your grandson's sake, as well as for everyone in your family, that he won't have spina bifida.

She is beautiful the little one and sighs of relief I am sure on the results. It takes a strong family to support each other during times that are so unlike what we had originally envisioned. I am disabled but truthfully I prefer to say I am less abled. I think the vision of what can be is always so much greater. Your blessed to have so many to love as are they in return. I am so happy for your good news today. Happy tears are ALWAYS the best kind.

Glad you re enjoying HIS blessings. God is Good!

Congratulations on the beautiful perfect grandson!! And what a beautiful special big sister he has!! You must be on cloud nine for sure!!

What a blessing to have a granddaughter like Morgan, and another grandbaby on the way! She looks like she enjoys life, and will be a help to her mom when the next baby comes. A happy attitude can take her a long ways. :D

Congradulations on Grandbaby # 2! Morgan is beautiful!

Blog Entries
    Congratulations grandma. Two beautiful grandbabies!

Congratulations Dove, your grandchildren are simply perfect!

It is 'major', but we are blessed - there are so many things associated w/spina bifida that could have afflicted Morgan that does not. She never developed hydrosepholitis and to date she has only had to have the initial surgery. She has a great spirit and a loving family who's willing to be strong enough to not do everything for her so she will grow strong & self suficient.

I am fortunate to have been able to retire at a young age & be there to help out. She is definately the ray of sunshine in my day :)

I've posted a few more pictures of Morgan so you can see some of what Lisanne meant by how things are not 'visible' and some of the fabulous technology out there to help.

Morgan can not walk (there are a few other 'issues' w/her lower extremeties as well) but she has a sharp, excellent mind. She uses a wheel chair. Any movement that her legs do comes from what little hip flextion she has & her fabulous stomach muscles. Even though the Dr. says she won't walk, we still spend an enormous amount of time doing physical therapy for her. Being where she's only 2 1/2 yrs old, she thinks we're all just play'n with her. Morgan thinks that every body is her play mate :)

Some days she trys really, really hard & then some days she refuses to cooperate. She can't be left on her own in her RGOs. It's really hard for her to 'work' them. When she wants to she does a great job of moving in them, but motivation is a problem - hard 2 motavate someone so young to do something that is so hard (not because she has any pain but because she can't feel her feet/legs and to try to walk she must balance & use the rest of her body).

We also have a special stander that she gets strap in to. It has a table set up & holds a bowl. We fill the bowl w/water & she's content for at least 1/2 hr *giggles*. I don't have a picture of her in that yet... This contraption is to enable her to be in an up right position & for weight bearing since she can't do it on her own.

There will be no vegitating 24/7 for this kid *giggles*

We have an entire net work of therapists and a case worker that is very helpful. So, yes this is serious but with today's medical & technological advancements we can be thankful that Morgan will have a productive and happy life.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisanne

She is adorable - but I can't agree with the rest of this. Spina bifida is a seriously disabling condition. Right now it's not visible to us in Morgan's pictures, but it's not just "a little adjustment once in a while" for most children and adults. It's major, and it's every day of their lives and usually, of their family's lives, which often revolve around the person's needs and limitations. At least things have gotten better with better accessibility, the availability of adaptive devices and more aware social attitudes.

I am very, very glad for your grandson's sake, as well as for everyone in your family, that he won't have spina bifida.
    Morgan in her RFOs.
    Name:  Attachment-31327.jpe
Views: 19
Size:  69.1 KB

Back view of RFOs.
    Name:  Attachment-31328.jpe
Views: 17
Size:  65.3 KB

P.S.

And yes, my entire house looks like a daycare that can support at least 6 kids, not just one lolol

Morgan is absolutely beautiful and appears to be a happy little gal...that is proof that you and your family have managed to provide a positive environment for her. I am so glad that the new little guy is ok. He is a cutie!

I am so happy for her. And your grand daughter is beautiful. :D :D

Congratulations on the great news! I'm sure you wouldn't trade Morgan for anything, she is adorable, and I am happy to hear the good news about the new baby.

P.S.
    I'm guessing that each of us wanted to comfort and congratulate you and that no one meant to make light of Morgan's handicap. Sometimes things don't come out the way they are intended when written. I trust the kind hearts of everyone on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by zkosh
    Congratulations on the great news! I'm sure you wouldn't trade Morgan for anything, she is adorable, and I am happy to hear the good news about the new baby.

P.S.
    I'm guessing that each of us wanted to comfort and congratulate you and that no one meant to make light of Morgan's handicap. Sometimes things don't come out the way they are intended when written. I trust the kind hearts of everyone on this board.
    I agree :)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast