Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one??? >

Am I the only one???

Am I the only one???

Old 11-08-2010, 05:32 AM
JJs
Banned

Been there, done that....

then, and then.... little children grow up in about two seconds and three minutes after that they are out on their own!

And then you get a room all to yourself for sewing... where you make quilts for the kids who left, and their spouses, and their children...
Old 11-08-2010, 05:43 AM
Administrator

if you have the space and can fit one into your budget, i suggest you get one of those smallish computer workstations on wheels. when it's time to sew, it's all portable and the machine is set up and ready to go. :-)
Old 11-08-2010, 05:52 AM

All of my stuff is in our bedroom, so hubby gets to listen to the purr of the machine while he watches t.v. Sorry hubby! I have been tempted to haul everything out into the living room, but that may be worse! At least i'm lucky enough not to have to put things away every day.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:51 AM

Even though I do have my own sewing room, I think we all started out with just a little space that we had to share with other things. Give it time, perhaps you will someday have your own space, as well.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:58 AM

I just love your picture :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 11-08-2010, 07:19 AM

I think time will help. You just have limited space right now, but as your daughter grows up, & things change, you will eventually, with any luck, gain more space. So don't give up, I use to have that problem too, but was determined to sew wherever I could. It's better than the alternative, right! You might also keep thinking about any little corner, or space, you might be able to use, at least to leave your machine out & handy. We had one of those old, cheap bookcases once, & one section, a door folded down, to use like a little desk. Well, my machine fit in there, for storage, when the door was folded up, & when it was down, I had a little space to set my machine & sew! Did that for a long time, but hey, it worked! As we became empty nesters, I did gain a small bedroom, so time does help. In the meantime, just keep sewing, quilting, anywhere you can!
Old 11-08-2010, 09:34 AM
Gal

I lived in a very small two bed cottage all the years the children were growing up, I had my fabric in boxes and cut and sewed on the kitchen table, I had to clear away for all the meals etc. When I look back I don't know how I managed but I did! I now have room which is the old garage converted to a work room, I can at last leave things out and close the door on it all if I wish. I have waited a very long time for this but it has been worth it, a true test of my love of sewing and quilting!

Gal
Old 11-08-2010, 10:09 AM

My hand is waving to you too.
Sew on the kitchen table.
Cut in the basement and iron.
Mats under the coach and coffee table.

In the corner of the kitchen is some baskets of notions and scraps of fabric too.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:44 AM

Yep.All my stuff is on the kitchen table and the Storage is the spare room closet. Not as tight as some of you but still a pain to have to move it all the time.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Banned

hahahaha
Originally Posted by grann of 6
Originally Posted by thequiltmama
I have to haul everything out to the kitchen every day to sew....ugh. I was just curious if I was the only one? I am not lucky enough to have space in our small house for my quilting stuff. My sewing machine and sewing box are on my dresser. My rotary mat and rulers are in my childs room behind her dresser. And my tubs of fabric and projects are in my daughters closet. Please tell me that someone else has the same problem????
Yep! I remember those days. I now have my own sewing studio in my basement. But when my kids were young, my sewing machine was in the dark entranceway by the front door; all my sewing supplies and fabric were on a shelf & in a box in my daughter's closet. The ironing board was in another closet. Then I graduated to having it all in the basement on the ping pong table so I could sew while the kids were playing; you know how well that worked. Just hang in there; we sewers and quilters are very strong willed people and will continue with our love of fabric no matter how hard "life" treats us.
:D