Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think I have a problem >

I think I have a problem

I think I have a problem

Old 11-06-2010, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by eruthk
..... Heck, I live alone, I only need to work part time, and I have someone who come in a couple of times a week to help with the housework -- and I fancy myself a quilter, I have a bunch of old shirts and pants of my son's when he was a child, all nicely cut up, ready to make a quilt, a ridiculously expensive machine at the ready, and I get a great deal of fun looking at the wonderful ideas on this board every day -- but I have never ever sewed one single quilt, not one -- so for it is worth, this abjectly lazy woman thinks you are incredible!
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: ... you go girl ... luvn it :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 11-06-2010, 06:57 PM

You sound exhaused. I worked 36 years as an RN and then taught high school for 3 years. When I decided to retire, all I could do was sit around mostly or sleep. I was completely worn out looking out after everyone else and not myself. Have been retired for 3 years and loving it. Of course you may not be ready for retirement so just take care and time for yourself. My husband would rather I spend all of my time with him but told him I need time for myself also... I have bought a lot of material I think trying to catch up with all the years "Im going to do that when I retire" statements I made... Try to get some rest... Good luck...
Old 11-06-2010, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by fabrichore
The other day I was talking to my other half about my sewing room, blahblahblah, anyway he said "I don't think you are a quilter, I think you just like to collect fabric", and I had to stop and think about it, recently I have been having a hard time getting into the sewing room ( a new sewing room mind you) and sitting there and completeing anything, I have many ideas and thoughts but nothing ever materilizes...I make a mistake and I have to pull it all out and do again and I find myself losing interest really quickly, I do like to sew and make pretty things, I am new to quilting and have made two quilts and some pillows but I do not know what my problem is, I have been struggling with my son lately but I am not going to blame him for my Inadequacies, I work all day and it takes an hour to get home, so by the time I get home I do not want to do anything,,,my mom would call it lazy and maybe I am...I am trying very hard not to convince myself I am not capable of doing this whole sewing thing, I love fabric, I love color, and I really do like to sew and create, so what in the world is wrong with me.... :cry:
take some of the blocks you have completed and make pot holders...use left over batting and scraps for backing. you don't even need to bind them...just put right sides together and sew around the edges leaving an opening to
turn right side out, then slip stitch it closed. then you can machine stitch a big X from corner to corner and i guarantee you will feel much better. plus, you will have something to show for your effort. if blocks are not large enough, just add a little border. and go from there. now, how bout that?
Old 11-06-2010, 09:37 PM

It won't be good for anybody if you get yourself run down. Grab a cup of tea and a quilt book or magazine. Watch a movie, take a nap and spend some time under a quilt. There is nothing wrong with you and your sewing room won't go anywhere if you take a little break to deal with your son and take care of yourself.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:10 PM

DO NOT GIVE UP YOUR SEWING ROOM--yes i am shouting--do not feel you have to be sewing when you go into your room--put pen to paper a journal is great to show your self things only a few lines needed--your life is currently over flowing with others needs --15 minits every night guilt free will extend to 20 when you realise the sky is not falling[ as others learn with encouragement !!!to give you that time]
Old 11-07-2010, 05:40 AM

All of us have off moods. Sometimes, I too stay off sewing for some days. But suddenly, I get into that mood of sewing and there I am glued to my books and eagerly waiting to start off a new pattern. Be positive in your outlook, as I have always been and surely you,ll be on a new feeling. Good luck....
Old 11-07-2010, 06:27 AM

I wonder how many screwdrivers your husband has that he doesn't use everyday...just a thought!!! Don't be so hard on yourself, continue to "collect fabric" until you are ready to use it!!! Quilting, sewing, crafting, whatever, should be fun, not stressful. Just relax and eventually the joy will come back. :)
Old 11-07-2010, 07:46 AM

I think that like most working Moms you are burning the candle at both ends. I commuted to work (50 miles each way) for 22 years. When I got home I was tired. I left at 6:30 am and got home at 7:00 pm. Just doing the "have tos" was just about all I could manage. Then one of my co workers told me how she cleaned house....She set the timer on the stove for 15 minutes and started to clean what ever room was the most "needy". When the timer dinged she stopped at took a 15 minute rest with feet up. I did that 4 times in a row and then called it quits for the day. I was actually suprised how much you can accomplish on a time limit. I soon learned to apply this same method to my sewing. I would decide the project , get all the materials, patterns, etc all lined up (on the timer method) and then the following day or week I would set the timer for 15 minutes and I would sew on the project. Because I would limit how much time I could spend and then quit I found that I did a lot less picking out because I was not pushing when I was really too tired to concentrate on sewing. My error rate went down and truthfully I finished projects quicker since I wasn't redo-ing my mistakes. I used this method as long as I had kids in school and had car driving requirements until they all moved on to college. My youngest daughter with 4 children at home has now adoped the "timer" method and it seems to be working for her. Just remember there will be a time when things will change and you will have all the time you want or need to sew. Your fabric stash will wait for you.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:07 PM

As I am writing, I've taken a break from work (my office is in my home), and plan to go into my quilting studio in about 2 hours, but I thought I'd give you some suggestions on conquiering your problem.

But first . . . you'll be hard-pressed to find a quilter who doesn't have unfinished projects. I think I need to go to "Quilters' Anonymous" myself every now and then. It's hard to resist the yummy batiks and other wonderful fabrics out there. I have projects in all stages: A bargello that needs its borders so I can take it to the Long Arm (I'll complete that tonight), a project cut out, but piecing hasn't begun; a project where I've starting piecing, a project that I started, but now I want to go in another direction; so it happens. You are among friends who feel your pain.

What I would suggest, since you're already carrying a full load, is to perhaps take on smaller, more manageable projects, or projects that can be done in pieces. For instance, a rag quilt, where each block consists of a "sandwich" of flannel top, batting, and backing when you complete each, then sew, and once you sew it together, you're done; or perhaps a wall hanging or, as you said, a pillow.

Also, if you don't have much time, perhaps you won't want to take on something that is very intricate and labor-intensive. If you're tired, and are staring at a million little lieces to complete, you can find it easy to walk away . . .

Just some thoughts . . . and hang in there!
Old 11-07-2010, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by quiltbuddy
I had the same problem. I get home and have to cook dinner, clean the kitchen up and by then I'm too tired to do anything. Something that really helped get me started was buying a simple Kaffe Fassett quilt kit. I just had to sew large diamonds together and make no decisions. When that project was done I was fired up to do anything. Any simple project might work so you a have a sense of accomplishment. On the weekends I set myself up so I just have the fun stuff to do in the evenings.
With me it was those Downy Quilts for Kids- no decisions!!! Just simple sewing. Handling the fabric again and joining the rows to complete the tops was so therapeutic, and got my juices flowing!
We tend to "should" on ourselves too much!!! Go easy, the quilting will resume when the muse is ready