Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers >

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Old 10-17-2011, 11:02 AM

Had never thought of this idea but it sounds beautiful.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Gator
I think flowers are a total waste of money. Beautiful yes,but at todays prices, ugh. Put the money into donations. .
I've told my family to include a line in my obituary that no flowers will be allowed in, and that I will come back to haunt anyone who sends them.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:29 AM

When my friends baby was born in March.Passed away that night. I had made her a quilt and she ask me if it was ok with me to cover her baby's casket with it. How proud I was that she did this.Now it hangs on the wall with her picture in a box in their home.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:47 AM

My mother hated the idea of a blanket of flowers on a casket and we promised her we wouldn't do that. So we draped her casket with her first quilt, a king-size scrappy log cabin that included scraps from clothing she had made for my sisters and me in our childhood. She had made two matching throw pillows also. We took one pillow to the florist and had a matching bouquet made to go near the casket. The other pillow went with her in the casket.

At the service, people came up and stroked the quilt and told us what a good idea it was to use it on her casket. A couple of days later the pastor (who wrote a weekly column for the local paper) wrote a wonderful column about her and the quilt. She would have scoffed at the column but secretly loved it!!
Old 10-17-2011, 11:47 AM

I have been working on a cloth by embroidery of several things such as my grand kid's little hand prints from various dates, my favorite flowers and two hearts encircled by hearts representing our kids and grand kids as they arrive. I have told my DH and one of my DDs to place it over me rather than fancy clothes.

I'm also planning on being placed in a simple hand made burial box.

There are two women here in NM that make burial boxes, I plan on calling them to make one for me.

Now, I'll think about using it in place of flowers, instead of taking it with me. Thanks for the idea.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:51 AM

I think that is a wonderful idea. Since my daughters are now planning my funeral (I'm 70 and they are concerned about buring me) and I think that would make a great request. The quilt could then go to my oldest daughter to be passed to her oldest....... I think I'll make the Dear Jane quilt (finish what I've started) to be my coffin quilt! Thanks for the idea. That is a really good one as I don't want people wasting their money on flowers and a big funeral. Just a simple service with my kids and then I'm to be flown to Michigan and put in the ground next to my son.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:51 AM

I have seen this done in our church! It was lovely, saved money and really meant something to the one departed and their family. I plan on it!
Old 10-17-2011, 11:52 AM

i have my quilt pick out it is. a white dogwood. i am a quilter and people know me as one so this is my way of saying goodbye
Old 10-17-2011, 12:00 PM

Since I have a big collection of Blue Willow dishes, my daughter and her husband have decided that I should be cremated when I pass and put in one of my blue willow canisters. They had way too much fun deciding all this. But I think the idea of a quilted coffin cover is a wonderful idea.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:12 PM

This is a very interesting subject that creates a lot of thought in all of us. Many years ago my quilting mentor passed away. She had shown me a quilt she had made using hands prints of every member of her rather large family. She had shapes of hands (or tiny feet)that she made into blocks. One member had lost a finger and the hand shape reflected that loss. The quilt was incredibly beautiful. She had always told me that she intended to be cremated wrapped up in that quilt so that her loved ones would always be a part of her. At first I thought it was a shame for that lovely quilt to burn but when I saw her wrapped in it inside her coffin at the service I knew it was the right thing to do. She had a full life making a quilt for each and every member of her family so they all had a piece of her. This way she always had a piece of them. It was a truly beautiful thing.