I'm a Grandma!!!!

Old 12-28-2009, 09:13 PM

Thanks all....I think they are pretty cute. :)

We are trying to get them on a schedule but since they lost almost a pound in the hospital, we need to get their weight back up. They got weighed today and each gained 3 ounces since Friday, so they are gaining. Pediatrician told Lauren to feed them whenever they were hungry. Lauren asked....so when do I sleep? They are ALWAYS hungry!! lol
I'm sure once we can get them to 6 pounds, the hunger pains will subside to longer than 2 hours and they'll sleep much longer. Poor Lauren is averaging about 5 hours a day and that's from catnaps. She's got a cold that is about full blown right now and is just miserable. She did manage to sleep about 3 hours earlier. Had to banish her to the bedroom, but emerged an hour later. Got her to sit on the couch and she passed out, which was a good thing.
But, I am pretty sure that once babies gain a bit more weight, things will be better.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:38 PM
Power Poster

My boys never went on a schedule :oops: Tell Lauren to take advantage of you while you are there , soon enough she will be on her own . But we all understand first time MOM and we can do it all :wink: Glad she is able to get some rest , even if they are only small naps here and there . Hope she doesn't pass the cold on to everyone else, that would be horrible .
Old 12-28-2009, 10:25 PM

Cold remedy: ZICAM ... Zicam ... I cannot say enough about it ... and get the AirBourne stuff, too!
Airborne helps get fluids into the system as well as herbs and minerals - - giving birth absolutely takes your system and breaks it down to zero resistance, so get the AirBorn stuff to help start building her up!
And, the Zicam stuff - - the gel swabs are the easiest to help clear the airways ... and there are quick dissolve tabs to help with the cough - - there are also minerals and herbs in this cold aid ...
are the babies being breast fed or bottle fed?
Breast fed babies take a lot of time to learn to nurse and nursing eats up a bunch of calories and energy! Drinking tea will help make the milk more substantive ... and to keep the nipples from breaking down, use a boric acid solution ... not the breast creams or anything like that ...
and, if the babies are suffering separation anxiety, don't hesitate to put them into your bed these first few weeks, or put them in the same bed together ...
If the babies are bottle fed, maybe some friends could come in on schedules to help (hard to do when all the young people around are usually working, but maybe there are some neighborhood granmas that could help) ...
I think you have it about right, Teri ... about when the babies get on to a good weight gain, their hunger will subside, but there are growth spurts ... at birth, then at three weeks, six weeks, and then again at around three months ... you will find them demanding more food ... babies need more food to grow ... they may look fat, but no growing thing can get taller if they aren't a bit wider to begin with ...
so, when they hit a growth spurt time, they will be hungry more often ... then level out at the new intake level ... for awhile <g>.
Don't try to feed solids too soon ... (as many older mothers will tell you that if you put cereal in the milk, they will sleep longer - - and, that may be, but at what cost down the road, when all the hunger is signaling that they are getting ready to grow a little taller!)
Babies are designed to digest milk and solids can cause problems down the road if they introduced too soon or given too excessively ... usually, my kids didn't eat off a plate until they were about six months old, though I would let them have finger food, as long as I was sure that they couldn't break off pieces and choke (almost lost one of them with a french fry!)
ah, well ... <g>
Old 12-29-2009, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

Glad Lauren is getting a little rest....I can only imagine what it must be like with twins. So nice that you can be there. So...has the "other" granny shown up..is she gonna come stay and help out when you leave???

Whew....this must be an exhausting good time!
Old 12-29-2009, 06:48 AM

you lucky you! good health all the way around. kiss everyone for all of us.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:12 AM

Love the latest pictures. Sorry Lauren has a cold...hope it stays away from those babies.

Tell Lauren my motto "This too will Pass" - both the hard, and the good. so keep it in mind...it helps you appreciate the moment so much more.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:12 AM

We may all THINK we're giving good advice, but please check with the twins' doc before taking it!
Old 12-29-2009, 11:28 AM

Hey Grandma! You aren't invincible either, take some airborne, or at least up your Vit. C. If both of you get sick who will take care of that precious cargo.....give those babies a couple of extra kisses from the "Quiltin' Aunties"...
Old 12-29-2009, 04:15 PM

They are doing well today. Slept a bit longer, which was a good thing. Every minute longer they sleep is good.
The other grandma isn't due back for a few weeks, but I don't think she'll be here until Lauren and Donny send her money for her gas. That's another story....something that just pisses me off.......
Right now Donny is adamant that he is going to buy one of those reading programs that is out there...the newest craze out that guarantees that you can have your baby reading by 1 year old or something. I just don't get it.
I tried to explain to him that the best way for a child to learn anything is to have mom and dad teach them, not some video/tv crap. But, what do I know about that. Both my girls were reading at the age of 3 and not just "see spot run" either. They could add and subtract from 1-10 and Lauren could even write in cursive. Didn't have no stupid program for that!
But, I digress....
I am starting to go a bit stir crazy here. Just staying in the house and not going anywhere or doing anything but taking care of 2 big kids and 2 small ones. I really don't mind, but it's starting to wear on me a bit when they sit down with babies in hand THEN say...Mom, can you get me.........UGH!!!!
Old 12-29-2009, 04:41 PM
Power Poster

Yeah but.....aren't that what Moms are for????

*ducking and running...far...and fast>>>*