I'm a Grandma!!!!

Old 12-29-2009, 06:56 PM

Oh, Terri--you most definitely need to go fabric shopping right now. Walk to the one farthest away. Hang in there. These are wonderful, but potentially trying times.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:58 PM
Power Poster

Oh Terri so sorry you are going stir crazy {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}
Just take the car tomorrow and go quilt store looking, even if you never find one at least you get a little (much needed) Terri time. New Moms go stir crazy when they are "forced" to stay home when they are use to being out and about, and you are in the same boat. Did you bring any quilting stuff with you ? And remind the kids (Donnie and Lauren) they just had twins they are not handicapped, they can get things themselves with or without the babies ! You are there to help, not be the personal maid gggeeeesssshhhhh
Old 12-29-2009, 07:01 PM

LOL ... I got my first daughter when she was about eighteen months old ... she was a different child.
I decided she was gifted. I told my dad that I figured she needed to be in a "gifted" program. Dad asked me "What makes you think she is gifted?"
I think he sort of proceeded to explain that she had definite personality, but rather than pushing, it might be better to encourage her to develop herself in the way God designed her.
Had I had the determination to follow my first inclination, that particular daughter would have been broken ... she would kill herself trying to please any authority ... she was different <g>.
When reality started to set in like: Lack of money, the amount of time and energy it takes to teach a child how to be a real human and participate in civilization ... the biggest plans start becoming a bit more realistic.
Basically, I figured out that no one cared as much about how my kids turned out as much as I cared. No one had to pay the consequences of wrong-headed thinking, as much as my children and I would pay if we allowed it to intrude into our family values ... and, other people viewed my children as an experiment, but I was the one paying the bills, and I was the one picking up the pieces, and I was the one who had to fix what fly-by-night ideas messed up ... I was the one constant in my children's lives ... of course, it meant that I had to improve a bit of myself <g> .... but, my kids needed their parents, not some theory that changes from year to year or teacher to teacher ...
as far as taking baby to bed ... not every time and not for very long ... I raised three babies with the "theory" ... and one needed to be that close ... the second one only came to bed if she woke up in the middle of the night, had her diaper changed, and then we snuggled to sleep. The third child, by the time he was six months old would make life very painful if he had to be in bed with me longer than it took to get fed. (Did you know that a six month old can pull the hair out of your head - - one strand at a time??? -- baby boy two could!) ...
And, only because I breast fed ... every two hours 24 hours a day for two weeks is pretty brain numbing <g> I tried getting up and feeding him in the middle of the night and almost dropped him on the floor, right out of my arms ... that is just my experience <g>
And, something I told my children when they started contemplating children - - do NOT poop out children to create a job for someone else ... if you are not willing to be the teacher, guide, and caregiver for a child - - don't bother ... they deserve better than that!
Terri! You are figuring out what I figured out after my first grandchild - - there is a reason God gives babies to young people! I was not nearly as capable of dealing with crying and disciplining and holding to principles as I had been when I was a young mom! LOL ... and, you are tired ... you know what stress is, eh? The conflict between doing what you have to do with what you want to do - - there is a different way of putting it, but you are there, so I am not telling you anything new <g>.
A drive will be good ... as long as they aren't doing anything to endanger the babies today ... then, it will be okay ;)
Old 12-29-2009, 07:02 PM
cjc

Congratulations! They are beautiful!
Old 12-29-2009, 07:11 PM

The latest photo is simply adorable!! Those two look so snug in their blankies, and so tiny, too. Quick - make hand and footprints because they'll never be this small again and you'll never believe they really were once they're bigger!

You sound like you need to live closer to those babies. That way you can be there, enjoy, then go home and enjoy :) The hardest thing about long distance grandparenting (other than missing them with a bad heartache) is that all the enjoying has to be done in concentrated chunks. Then, you have to look back at the pictures to remember "oh, yeah, that was fun".

Here's something for you to chuckle about when you think about babies learning from video. There was some great research done about how babies learn that amazed the researchers as to what and how young babies actually showed learning for things like talking and reading. Trouble was, the research couldn't be replicated. Then someone noticed that in the original research, all the babies were seated on their mother's laps. In replication, the babies were with a lab technician. You see, we have a "hot spot" in our brain for learning that is activated when we are in close proximity to someone we care about. So, if your grandbabies are going to learn at a young age, they will be spending a lot of time with mom and/or dad and that is a good thing!!
Old 12-29-2009, 07:39 PM

Where are today's pictures?????? :D
Old 12-29-2009, 07:45 PM
Power Poster

LMBO I remember the twin days :D:D:D Mine are 6 and with me right now...
I would not wait on your SIL he needs to figure this out right from the start, juggling a baby while fixing a bottle, running for the wipes, etc... DD needs a couple more days to heal and then she too needs to learn this. I told my DD and SIL that I was here to help, not wait on them :wink:
The sooner the parents get into a rhythm the better and easier it will be on both mom and dad. The babies will get sick, usually about the same time, it's a twin thing where other siblings can have a 2-3 day differece in it hitting them. So the more you can help them deal with them thinking team work, the better :D:D:D
Wait til they are both sick and you get the simultaneous vomitting LMBO I can laugh, cause I have been there and done that when I had them by myself :D:D:D

When the time comes for them to actually start doing all of the things they are talking about...reality will set in and they will be changing their minds :lol::lol::lol: Until then, they will be dreaming large :D:D:D
Old 12-29-2009, 09:06 PM

Grandparenting is kind of like being the mother of the groom - wear beige, smile and keep your mouth shut!
Old 12-29-2009, 09:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JoanneS
Grandparenting is kind of like being the mother of the groom - wear beige, smile and keep your mouth shut!
Or in my case orange ! NOT LMAO
Hang in there Terri
Old 12-29-2009, 09:31 PM

Terri-I just found this thread!!! Congrats on becoming a grandmother-it is the greatest joy in life!!!! May you have many wonderful times with them.