I'm a Grandma!!!!

Old 12-29-2009, 09:35 PM

I just found this. OMG how beautiful, and two. Poor me, i only got one. but he's (mine) a keeper for sure.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:14 AM

My youngest grandson is 5 and when he was born my daughter said that babies should NOT watch TV at all - no baby videos etc. So we would all be watching TV and the baby would be in his seat backwards to the TV and trying to crank his little neck around to see the TV - it was so funny!!! Not sure how long that lasted! Things sure change fast in the baby world.

Terri, my kids still do things with their kids that I shake my head at, so I think that will never change! I have always been a long distance Grammy since they all live in Maryland and Virginia and I am in Maine. Do have grands on Wen's side that live only 45 minutes away, but with everyone's busy schedules, we do not see them that often either. Attending all their sporting events is fun. As they get older - have one this year starting to drive - yikes - they are more friend oriented - not grammy and grampy oriented. Love them all to death and keep mouth shut!! LOL

Good luck and Lauren and Donny will wise up eventually! Go shopping today!!!
Old 12-30-2009, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

Yes, you need to get out....badly! Just start driving, the car will find the fabric store. I know there are at least a few between where you and and where I am... :wink:

I wouldn't worry too much about all the big dreams from L & D...most of it is probably all talk. I think JoeAnne probably said it all.....just keep the hugging going while you are there and enjoy your time with the little ones. They sure won't be that size when you see them next!
Old 12-30-2009, 06:57 AM

terri

been there, done that.........

life goes on and gets even better.

hold on.....things will get back to normal.......at least, we hope so.

MaryJane
Old 12-30-2009, 07:05 AM

Definitely the fabric store ... part of your exhaustion must be in part because your daily routine has been disrupted! <g>
I was just thinking ... I am always prone to advice (partly because sometimes, I actually make sense!) And, sometimes, people who need to "vent" ... need input! They have done everything they could think to do to maintain a proper balance, and they need some different perspectives.
So, I have been thinking ... and, when my kids ever talk in front of me, or come to me with an idea ... and there is any question there - - it took us awhile to figure out ... they were actually using me as a sounding board!
Maybe what Lauren is wanting is mom to speak up and give the benefit of her experience - - feedback ... like a friend would do, or another adult would do. It isn't a life or death matter, after all, but like my dad - - if you can give some insight on how you arrive at the choices/decisions you made in your lifetime, you will teach another generation how to think ...
If my kids don't want a conversation with me, they do not bother to talk about something in front of me ... but, it all depends on what kind of a relationship you have had with your kids all along.
Granted, my daughters in law and sons in law have had to learn about my unique personality, and I have had to learn about theirs, but that is part of having a relationship. Your situation isn't with complete strangers where you have no reason to give and take, after all ... maybe, by asking some questions you can get an idea of why they are considering their options, and those particular options ... and, as a daughter who tends to become a kid again around her parents<me> :cry: maybe Lauren is thinking that this is what you expect of her ... it is pretty strong, that desire for our parents to see us as capable adults who have a handle on things ...
honest, open conversation ...
all family dynamics are different ... all I can tell you is what happens in my family and hope that maybe some of my experience you can use for your new position in life <g>.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:49 AM

Hey Terri - i used to be the perfect parent...until I had kids!!!!!!!!!!!! Your daughter and SIL are learning...dreaming and wanting what is the BEST for their babies. I get it...and be glad these are your issues and NOT wondering if they will take care of the kids when you leave because there are plenty of parents who don't!! Obviously, not on this board, but believe me...I used to practice what we call "dependency" law...those are the cases where children are removed from their parents for abuse and neglect. So...big picture my dear, big picture!!!

My niece attends the French School in Bekreley. It's a French immersion school...she had a very difficult time from k-2, but is now doing really well in 3rd grade. I would NEVER do that to my children, but every family has their own criteria for their kids lives...I can respect their decision and leave it at that.

Terri, you need to get back to your life so you are not as immersed in the day to day...that way you can wait for the calls ..."Mom, how do I???" and such. The planning of their lives will go on without you having to listen to it day in and day out.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:53 AM

WOW...good advice, Esqmommy......

although, sometimes hard to do ........

We do live and learn, right?????

MaryJane
Old 12-30-2009, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by mjsylvstr
WOW...good advice, Esqmommy......

although, sometimes hard to do ........

We do live and learn, right?????

MaryJane
Thank God! <g>
I need to remember that saying:
Those of you who think you know it all are annoying those of us who do! LOL
Old 12-30-2009, 12:59 PM

No worries, Terri. Those babies will be eating junk off the floor just like every other kid! They sure are precious. Enjoy your time with them.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:02 PM

beachlady, you're so funny about the no tv thing lol. That reminds me. When my grandaughter was a toddler, her mom said that she was only EVER going to be allowed one tv show, or one video, per day, and she would not be using the tv like a babysitter lol. Well Elisa is 6 now, and yup, her parents bought her her own tv for her bedroom LOL LOL