I'm a Grandma!!!!

Old 12-30-2009, 01:04 PM
Power Poster

LMBO Chele...fighting the pets for them while watching Disney or Sesame street on tv :D:D:D
Old 12-30-2009, 01:14 PM

Hey Terri- how's that new baby smell? That is THE BEST! Is there a way to bottle that up? I can just smell it now.....ahhhhh.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:27 PM
Power Poster

Sniff...sniff.....oh...yes, I do think I got a little whiff just then...baby powder???
Old 12-30-2009, 05:54 PM

Know what always fascinated me?
The fingernail on the little finger! I was always amazed at how perfect it was and sooo tiny.
Another favorite picture of mine is to have baby's hand opened in Daddy's palm ... it is just so fascinating to see the size difference ... and, yet, both so perfect; the little one and the big one.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:45 PM

Well, today seemed to be a bit better.
I did get out to do some shopping.
They were going to take babies out, but it started raining and I told them it wasn't a good idea and I would get what was needed. I was gone for 3 hours and got 5 calls from them. They were worried I got lost, but I have a map and a GPS and I know how to ask for directions lol
I had to run to Target, Bed Bath and Beyond and Walmart for them, but also visited 2 thrift stores. Saw some nice things in there. Need to go back tomorrow to measure a quilt rack to see if it will fit in my suitcase. Thrift store wants $15 for it and it's a nice little rack. Also saw a treadle. They wanted $100 for it, but it was a bit on the rickety side. Was pretty tho....
On the way back from the last thrift store, I passed a shop that said "50% off fabric". Of course, I had to turn around and get some. lol Was a nice little shop. Very nice people in there, could have stayed for hours chatting with them. Only bought a couple yards of 2 different fabrics. I'd post a pic, but cannot since both pieces are being sent out to different people. Once they get it, they can post it. :)
I did all the shopping that needed to be done and came back with a great feeling. Felt a bit energized. I think it was because of being cooped up in the house and not really getting any fresh air.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:52 PM

Terri - so glad your little trip gave you your second wind. Now then....don't forget to make time for emotional refueling for yourself!!! You are important too!
Old 12-30-2009, 08:05 PM

That sounds really great Terri, probably everyone needed a little alone time...the quilt rack sounds adorable! Hope it fits in your suitcase :) :) :)
Old 12-30-2009, 08:06 PM
Power Poster

Hi Terri,
wow, you sound like you got a breath of fresh air. hugs, gf, if you listen to your kids about their kids...
yup, could make me crazy...but, LOL...
I used to tell my youngest daughter with my calmest voice and the slightest smile...
"sweetie, you can make all the best plans in the world, bc you love your children dearly,...
but one thing all parents have to learn...
children grow and have minds of their own, and
eventually learn how to let you know...and WILL!":wink:
Sometimes it's fun and funny to watch our kids with their children, and the child is acting just like they used to:shock:
That's when the two parents start pointing fingers at each other, "Must be like YOUR side of the family!"...
and you just snicker :twisted:
Old 12-30-2009, 08:15 PM

You're so funny and right quiltncrazy lol. Our oldest daughter was our difficult and headstrong child, she still is lol. Well elisa is in grade one and just got her first report card, it said, elisa is doing good, and she listens well to adults, but she is having some control issues with her friends!!!! LOL LOL My husband and i just laughed and said, yup, cathy's getting hers now lol
Old 12-30-2009, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltMania
Yeah, I've seen the ads for those video "reading" programs and I just laugh. Sure the kid may be decoding and saying words but they sure aren't reading, because they don't have a clue what the story is about. The best way to teach kids to read is to read to and with them from birth. OK, I'm climbing off my teacher soapbox now.

Before I had kids, I would tell my mom all these things I had planned for them too. She would just nod and smile and say wait until you have kids. I learned all the common sense stuff she told me and got for me worked and all the frou-frou stuff I got didn't. She was right but, shhhh, don't tell her.
This is exactly what my daughter did with her daughter...She read to her from birth. I have a picture of her reading Psalms to Alanna when she was a mere 2 days old... Alanna is looking straight at her mother... She still love having someone read to her...she is 10 years old 5th grade and reading level 8.9 comprehension level 8.6 at the beginning of the school year.. READ to your children... not sit them infront of the TV or Computer or Video....Ok I'll join QuiltMania beside the teacher soapbox...

Terri, every parent has high asparations for their children and with the push of best nowday, techno stuff is the carrot....common sense is the best tool...

You need to get more rest and start weening the parents gradually...so that they will be comfortable and you will feel confident that they know how to care for those precious babies...

Grab a book and read to your babies :D