I'm a Grandma!!!!

Old 01-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Power Poster

Awwww grama!!! :D:D:D You two make a cute pair :D:D:D
Not to be pushy...but how about a trio??? :D:D:D
Old 01-04-2010, 05:54 PM

Omak, I loved your story. 39 years ago, I thought the same as you. I thought the baby would stop suckling and fall sleep when he was done. When my son was 6 weeks old, the doctor told me to STOP nursing and put him on nonfat milk. He started out big to begin with, 9 lb 1 oz. Guess he was hungry long before he emerged into this world. He's still hungry, LOL. He can BBQ meat better than anyone I know. And, when he stops by here, the first thing he heads for is the fridge.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Awwww grama!!! :D:D:D You two make a cute pair :D:D:D
Not to be pushy...but how about a trio??? :D:D:D
Yeah -- we're waiting....... :D :lol:
Old 01-04-2010, 05:55 PM

Olivia is just too adorable! Gramma looks as content as baby.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:09 PM

Working on it, working on it!!!
Old 01-04-2010, 06:48 PM

Awww--she's beautiful.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by jacquemoe
Omak, I loved your story. 39 years ago, I thought the same as you. I thought the baby would stop suckling and fall sleep when he was done. When my son was 6 weeks old, the doctor told me to STOP nursing and put him on nonfat milk. He started out big to begin with, 9 lb 1 oz. Guess he was hungry long before he emerged into this world. He's still hungry, LOL. He can BBQ meat better than anyone I know. And, when he stops by here, the first thing he heads for is the fridge.
You have to remember 39 years ago DRs did not APPROVE of breast feeding.
Mom explained breast vs bottle in this manner: A breast fed baby has to work really hard to get his meal. A bottle fed baby has no such problem.
She theorized that breast fed babies also had better mouth coordination and learned to drink from a cup sooner than bottle fed babies.
When the DR lectured me, I did some additional research and found out that some babies just need more sucking time and the bottles don't provide it ... and, too much breast milk causes problems so in the old days, they had sugar tits ... pieces of fabric soaked in heavy sugar water and dried ... baby gets fussy give him a sugar sucky thing ....
Did you know that babies round little cheeks are not because they got fat in the womb? The round cheeks are designed for the extra effort it takes for sucking from the breast ... so, when you have that much ability and someone hands you a bottle ... less sucking time.
I don't mind pacifiers, as you can see <g>.
It was a good thing that when I started feeding my babies, I had books put out by La Leche Society and a book by Karen Pyor about breast feeding .. cuz there weren't hardly anyone who knew what I was trying to accomplish! <g>
Old 01-04-2010, 08:38 PM

Geez, I had forgotten all about sugar tits. Not that I used them, but my MIL advised it. As a fussy breast-fed baby, my DD would only suck my finger as an alternative. I spent a lot of time with my finger in her mouth!

Terri, baby pictures warm me up, so I do appreciate as much heat as you can generate into this cold winter!!

And, by the way, you can't spoil a baby by picking it up and cuddling it when it cries. Glad to hear those two are getting lots and lots of cuddles. Give extra from the quilt aunties, okay?
Old 01-04-2010, 09:59 PM

I used to think that if you held a baby baby too much, you would "spoil" it ... but it isn't true! or at least in my limited experience.
I had a friend who held her baby all of the time, carried her around on a pillow when mom's arms gave out - - I gave her my best pioneer advice, but the mom didn't listen :?
I was sure she was going to raise a monster! But, I happened to be around the child a few years later, and she was a really neat little kid! Secure and balanced and definitely NOT a brat!
I think when there is a lot of people around to hold a baby and be close to it, or mom has the capability and time to hold the baby and love on it - -the baby is just more relaxed and happy ...
"spoiled" means "ruined" and it is pretty hard to ruin a brandy new baby, EXCEPT through neglect. Until the product is done, you really can't call it "spoiled" ...
I think the more they are cuddled and held after birth, the less input they need in close proximity when they are older.
Aren't there "studies" about what happens to a baby if he has to cry too long to get care and attention?
Old 01-04-2010, 10:03 PM

Oh, these babies think that the ONLY place they can sleep is on someone's chest. Well, now trying to get them to lay in their crib is a chore. They will sleep for hours in their carseat, so tonight we are trying the carseat for a few hours. Just so Lauren can get at leat 4 hours.
Donny goes back to school next week and will need to sleep since he will be taking 5 classes, plus will have his homework and ROTC stuff he will have to do. Will be hard for him to get good grades on little to no sleep. So now, the training of getting babies to sleep in their bed is on.
Plus, it's not good for baby to be on mommy and daddy all the time, gotta be able to keep that spine straight. Baby cannot get spine straight if always curled ontop of mom or dad.