Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Rhonda's 4th Wall Hanging Swap - July - 0ct 2013 >
  • Rhonda's 4th Wall Hanging Swap - July - 0ct 2013

• Rhonda's 4th Wall Hanging Swap - July - 0ct 2013

Old 08-22-2013, 03:11 AM

I went to the Mancuso Quilt Show this last weekend and saw an appliqued quilt which I recognized. I knew I had that b
    ook at home from years ago and had loved the pattern but never made it. It was one of the earlier books which really hooked me on applique from 1994. I really should make the center medallion for this wall hanging.Then dress it up with some cutie pies. Yeah, good to have my design nailed down. Now I just have to start and finish the quilt for the show at the end of October. The fabric for it arrived yesterday....

Last edited by applique; 08-22-2013 at 03:14 AM.
    Old 08-22-2013, 05:25 AM
    Power Poster

@ post # 210, MKT: I have kitchen chickens too, We may have a situation here!

@ post# 211, applique: Do we get to see a picture of this quilt? I'd love to see it. Or give us the name of the book, if you know, so we can look it up. Very curious here.
    peace
    Old 08-23-2013, 04:34 AM

It's done, it's DONE!!! My October WH is finished and can be entered in the Durham Fair before it goes to its recipient. I tried to fit a rose but no room. I don't think it will win anything but I thought it came out cute! The whiteboard can be removed and replaced wit a picture or calendar if desired.
    Attached Thumbnails finished-wh-rhondas-4th-swap.jpg  
    Old 08-23-2013, 05:19 AM

Love the summer rose and if you had not mentioned it I never would have seen what your saying.. not sure I still do now so leave it be its lovely! and the owl super cute I too downloaded the whole pattern for owls on fat cat free each month its great... wonderful site for fusible designs and most of the time two or three free ones each month. a grand deal if you ask me. I got an email from Missouri star quilters today free shipping today only anyone need a copy of it holler!

I have not started but fear not will complete one. I have about two little projects ahead of this little project then I can jump on it. wish me oodles of luck! I had best get off the board so I can actually do some of these things!
    Old 08-23-2013, 06:43 AM

Cute birds, ladies! Usually i do something with cats but I'm thinking of running in a different direction this time. Had an idea weeks ago but forgot to write it down so it now resides in the land of forgotten dreams and single lost socks. No problem! I will have another idea someday, lol. Maybe even today! Like what i see others are doing! I am still in texas for a few days... Hate to leave but Ido miss my pups and cats, and dh, too. Have skyped with them so know they are all good. 8-)
    Old 08-23-2013, 08:24 AM
    Power Poster

The rooster in the rose pots is great and with the added area at the bottom for the white board/ calendar is very smart, indeed.
    Good luck with it at the fair.

Here is the mini quilt made from the corners of the spool block in The Last Summer Rose, posted above. This may also be in the running for the swap. It's 12.5" sq. Each HST block is just over 1.25"sq. I may add some more rounds to it.
    peace

ROSE PETALS
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]431802[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails dsc04668.jpg  
    Old 08-23-2013, 12:50 PM
    Power Poster

This rooster is just fantastic! I love the idea of adding a calendar or picture. I wish I was in the swap now!! LOL
    Old 08-23-2013, 12:51 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by ube quilting
    The rooster in the rose pots is great and with the added area at the bottom for the white board/ calendar is very smart, indeed.
    Good luck with it at the fair.

Here is the mini quilt made from the corners of the spool block in The Last Summer Rose, posted above. This may also be in the running for the swap. It's 12.5" sq. Each HST block is just over 1.25"sq. I may add some more rounds to it.
    peace

ROSE PETALS
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]431802[/ATTACH]
    Very pretty indeed! Of course I love anything small but the contrast in this is really great! I love black as a background or other dark color.
    Old 08-23-2013, 03:57 PM
    Power Poster

Default Updating the Wall Hanging Swap Sign up again!

Have a great time with this swap everyone!!
    Remember to post pictures along the way!! That's half the fun!

For anyone who hasn't joined us before please make sure to send me your address.
    Let me know if you have any allergies or anything else I should know.
    Also let me know if you are smoke free or fur free home.

Welcome to our new players!! And Welcome Back to our regular players!!!
    Hope you all have a great time planning and posting pics and creating great Wall Hangings!

As long as you have a wall hanging ready to mail by the mail date you can join us any time.
    There is no limit to how many can join.

1. cjr
    2. ube quilting
    3. skaduzy
    4. quiltymom
    5. tildemae
    6. Mariah
    7. Yankeegirl
    8. Quiltjoey
    9. Quiltaddiction
    10.Jaba
    11.Elisabrat
    12 JNCT14
    13 mimiknoxtaylor
    14 applique
    15 createfourpaws
    16 nancia
    17 Aurora
    18 Dusty'sMomma
    19 Marytoddliz
    20 berryberry
    21 omacookie
    22 EagleOneOwl2U2
    23 jclinganrey
    24 Lovethedog
    Old 08-24-2013, 06:50 AM

@ post# 211, applique: Do we get to see a picture of this quilt? I'd love to see it. Or give us the name of the book, if you know, so we can look it up. Very curious here.
    peace[/QUOTE]

OK, here goes! When I started quilting (applique) in the early 70s there were no new books, patterns or magazines. Then the Bicentennial hit in 1976 and quilting was hit with a jolt that started the explosion we are still enjoying today. The early applique was very simple and rather general in design until artists got their hands on it. Oh my! I still remember going to a quilt show and seeing my first raw edge applique on a wall hanging! What on earth is this? Another twist, how amazing with all the detail!
    Here are the books which I collected and eventually had put into binders and which chronicle my journey as a applique quilter. Botanical Wreaths by Laura Reinststler (1994), Applique in Bloom by Gariella Swain, Floral Applique by Nancy Pearson, Beautiful Blooms by Susan Propst, Paradise Stitched by Sylvia Pippen and Quilts From Nature by Joan Colvin. Some are old and out of print others newer and still available. With raw edge came the ability to really get into details enhanced by the use of fabric paints and photographs, another whole new dimension. Faces and Places by Charlotte Warr Andersen and painting books like Painting the Drama of Wildlife by Terry Isaac and Wildlife Painting by Patrick Seslar
    Hopefully you can see some of these books at a library (guild or public) and enjoy the progression of applique.
    Attached Thumbnails books.jpg