Fabric Moratorium 2023

Old 03-11-2023, 07:10 AM

Thanks happy lab. Unfortunately, I fell off the wagon yesterday. I needed to buy fabric for the final border of my Around We Go quilt so I went to my favorite LQS. I bought the fabric- just enough to do the borders, but then decided that I wanted to use a wideback for the backing, rather than piece one myself. I found a widleback that was the same fabric as one I'd used in the top, and bought just enough for the backing. So far, so good. But then I looked at the widleback remnants and a 2 and 1/2 yard piece jumped into my hands and followed my all the way up to the register. It's really cool, but I definitely didn't need it to fill any gaps in my stash so if someone could give me a hand back up on the wagon I'd appreciate it.

Rob
Old 03-11-2023, 11:20 AM

If we don't buy enough to keep the shops in business we need them.
Old 03-11-2023, 12:29 PM

Rob -- I have bought more fat quarters, novelty quarters, from the dollar store. I really, really miss going to my local LQS and as newbee3 says, we need to keep them up and running, too. So I am walking beside the wagon and am willing to give you a boost up but I do not feel worthy of a ride, yet. There is a buying spree in my future, lol. I have no plans, just want more pretty fabric that will inspire me.
Old 03-11-2023, 03:25 PM

Thanx, ibex94. Have fun with your buying spree, you can always use one of the exemptions- birthday, special holiday, travel, etc. LOL. Come to think of it, I never used my Happy New Year exemption, nor my Valentine's Day, exemption. So how is it that my stash storage is full even though I've just made two quilts that take a lot of fabric??????

Rob
Old 03-12-2023, 11:18 AM

Fabric fairies have been busy in my stash, too! Two quilts out means that you get to buy more fabric in my book, Rob! Thank you for the exemption reminders. I know the moratorium is a personal journey but watching everyone's playful struggles sure is helping me buy less. Thank you all for sharing your stories. If I manage to get two quilts out, I will feel justified buying more! In the meantime, I am keeping pace with the wagon. I did cancel my Fat Quarter Shop subscription. If I am not creating, I don't need to keep adding random mystery items for my fabric fairies to multiply.
Attached Thumbnails fabric-fairy.jpg  
Old 03-12-2023, 05:37 PM

ibex94, Tee-Hee-Hee! Multiplying Fairies! All I can imagine is fairies practicing their multiplication facts, 1x5 =5, 2X5=10 or 3x5=15 and for the more advanced fairies, a 6X7 grid equals 35, or 14 HST's X 30 blocks is 420 HSTs. Multiplying fairies, made me smile.
Old 03-12-2023, 05:44 PM

My fairies are definitely multiplying fairies, lol. I wish they would make some of those hst's for me instead of just bulk fabric reproduction....
Old 03-15-2023, 01:32 PM

LOL!! Regarding the fabric fairies.

rryder I will lift you up on the wagon when you are ready.

Old 03-15-2023, 01:47 PM

Do we count fabric that is given to us for free or only bought fabric? I have a friend who gave me 4-5 pieces of yardage. She also gives me er leftovers of batting and scraps. I quilt for her and she gives me the backing.

I did buy 2 1-yardage fabric from her. One will be used on an upcoming mystery QAL. The other is Chiefs fabric for a border for a Super Bowl mystery QAL pattern, the day they won the Super Bowl this year.
Old 03-17-2023, 04:56 AM

The last couple (covid) years, I've been really good at not buying anything. I used everything from my stash. I've since retired and am sewing quite a bit more. Which leads me to buy fabric. So far it's only been to finish a project. I have more time to take classes, so I need a light weight sewing machine. I've been looking at everyone's machines. Today I am going to the local quilt shop to buy a new machine. Not light weight. I like the bells and whistles. Hopefully I come home the the machine only.