Fabric Moratorium 2023

Old 03-17-2023, 05:11 AM

mizkyp - I did that yesterday. I'm in the same situation as you are - retired last summer, sewing more, and needing a small machine that I can take to classes. Came home with the light weight machine (I already have all the bells and whistles that I can use), but also some batting, fusible interfacing and pillow forms, all of which I had completely run out of. All are intended for projects that for various reasons need to be completed by July, so I figure I'm still on the wagon. You can do it!
Old 03-17-2023, 04:39 PM

Mizkyp and Woodland Creature, how wonderful to be in the place to purchase a new machine for your classes or travel. I have loved my retirement sewing and have made significant progress in using only from my stash or purchasing only what is needed to finish a project. I count it one of the privileges of being out of the career race. Time to relax and enjoy our fabric. I have a featherweight that travels with me and after 7 or so years hasn't given me one moment of problems. A perfect machine for my purposes. Enjoy your new machines and sewing projects. Show photos of your projects so we can rejoice in your retirement fun!
Old 03-17-2023, 04:44 PM

Happylab, I don't think there are any rules for this group 😉. Count fabric given to you if you wish or don't count as you wish. Tee-hee-hee! Have fun finishing your Chiefs quilt and your quilt -a-long.
Old 03-18-2023, 11:24 AM

I’m looking out my deck window and seeing about 10-15 sparrows and a squirrel (I call Stevie) eating the food I left for them. Today I took a pic of geese sitting out in the back yard. It’s cold, only about 25F right now. Thank goodness it’s partly sunny and wind speed less than 20kts.

- Do we count BOM’s as fabric purchased, as stash? Not count because we plan to make soon (in the next yer or so)? If it’s up to me I do not count.
Old 03-18-2023, 06:32 PM

I don't count BOM, only because that fabric is being used or will be used, sort of like buying fabric to help finish off a WIP
Old 03-24-2023, 07:06 AM

While I sew most days, I only now have managed to actually finish a quilt. This was the Edyta Sitar summer 2022 mystery quilt, which I quit doing about half way through. Not wanting it to turn into a UFO, I simplified some of the blocks to complete it. All fabrics for the flimsy were from my stash, and a couple of the fabrics were used up completely. It is being donated though our guild's community service group. As I didn't have any batting, and not much that was suitable to use for backing, the guild was happy to donate what was necessary to finish this - their stash is bigger than mine, and they have limited storage options, so they were happy to give it to me so that I could finish the quilt.
Attached Thumbnails summer-mystery-2.jpg  
Old 03-24-2023, 08:15 AM

That is one gorgeous quilt, Woodland! Good job!
Old 03-24-2023, 12:35 PM

Beautiful quilt, Woodland! I like the different blocks in it.
Old 03-24-2023, 01:16 PM

For those of you who are interested, the mystery quilt is still available at Laundry Basket Quilts. Just look in their blog posts from last summer.
Old 03-24-2023, 04:07 PM

I really like the simplicity of your quilting the wavey lines will certainly hold the pieces together, but they gently ease your eyes from area to area of the quilt. May I ask how far apart the lines are. I have done this but they are only about 2/3 " apart and oh, it is time consuming.