Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP and Encouragement >

HELP and Encouragement

HELP and Encouragement

Old 10-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Google Goddess

You need to quilt! It gives you something to do and you love it!

You could always make baby quilts for the childrens hospital. My friend just made over 30 baby quilts to take to the childrens hospital in Indianapolis, Indiana.

Also you could make the lap quilts for nursing home folks.

Please don't give up, you love to quilt!

Also you could make some Downy quilts (they send you the pattern and all fabric but the batting and thread) you make them and send them back to them. You can order more than 1 kit at a time.

http://www.quiltsforkids.org/volunteer/

You know the kids will appreciate your quilts.

Karen "Craftybear'
Old 10-07-2010, 02:51 PM

First if you didn't hear it from your daughter and it was from another source I would first talk to your daughter about it.
If she does feel that way explain to her how it makes you feel when you are working on the quilt and the self satisfaction that you get from quilting. Even if you never give another one away....and even if after you are gone no one will want them. Explain how much you love the entire process. From picking the pattern, fabric, cutting and stitching.
Everyone has something that makes them feel good. If you stop doing something that you love...especially if you feel that you are being forced to do it, you will become resentful and most likely become depressed.
I don't like talking about death but it is part of life...people might not care about the quilts now....but after you are gone may be a different story.
You are not out drinking, you are not doing drugs, you aren't spending money foolishly on clothing that sits in your closet with the tags still attached. You are appeasing your creative passion.
I don't know if you are married as you didn't say but, if it is not causing any problems in your relationship and you are happy, who is to judge what you do for a hobby. Your daughter and everyone else is entitled to their opinion but they are not entitled to make you feel guilty for something you love.
Since you and your daughter are such good friends it sounds like there would not be a problem talking to her and letting her know that you value her opinion but, you are going to continue quilting. You love each other and I am sure that she will understand that you don't want to discuss it again.
Don't give up your passion..and don't feel guilty for doing it. Life is to darn short.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:00 PM

Enjoy your quilting and if nothing else you could give your quilts to places like Quilts for children or sale them here on the board, Someone i am sure would love them
HUGS Dora
Old 10-07-2010, 03:44 PM

I think your daughter is off base. If you enjoy it, then do it! Beyond that there are so many shelters for families and abused women and children that could use your creations to bring some light and hope into their life. Keep on quilting and love every minute of it!!!
Old 10-07-2010, 04:03 PM

Please don't give up on your love of quilting. If you need someone special to give your little one quilt to - may I suggest giving it to someone who has just gone through a house fire and lost everything they had. I know that when you receive a quilt after an event like this it brings happyness and comfort, and that feeling lasts everytime you wrap up in it. I can not think of a better place to give a quilt that you have put time -LOVE- money into. We all know as quilters that the fabric from the local quilt shop has SUCH A NICE FEEL TO IT!!

Also you can explain that people spend money on other things that are bad for them. Quilting is a scource of happyness, math skills, fine motor, and many other talents. Just think every time you quilt you are excercising your brain. At least that is what I think.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:30 PM

you might also check with your local police dept. if they take a child out of a drug house or meth house, that child is taken out in nothing!! not even a diaper and a warm quilt sometimes is just what they need and then the quilt stays with the child..just a suggestion...my kids don't always understand my passion but they know it makes me happy
Old 10-07-2010, 04:39 PM

I have a ariticle that was written rspically for people like you and me wish I could send it to you. Written by helen kelly title feeling good about quilting, would love to mail it to you if I had your address elise
Old 10-08-2010, 07:25 AM

I love to quilt! My grandson is only 3 years old and I have made him 3 quilts already and I just bought fabric to make him another one. I am also making a king size for my daughter. I am very careful what I do with my quilts. You can't just give them to anyone. As you all know they are a lot of work and expensive to make.
Have you made table runners or tote bags?
Old 10-09-2010, 12:25 PM

jfowles, Ask your daughter what other ideas she has for you to do besiides quilt? lol
Seriously though, contact some high end gift shops and see if you can put any of your quilts on their shelves to sell. Make yourself some beautiful labels and tags on strings to pin to the quilt, telling a wonderful short story to a person or child about the feeling one gets as they cuddle up into a quilt. Visit these shops to get ideas. You can start yourself a little business that will keep you in lots of fabric.
quilting blessings,
marla
Old 10-09-2010, 01:11 PM
Power Poster

You should not give up your quilting especially where you love it. We all need to do something for ourselves that makes us feel good. It is not a bad or destructive hobby that you have so you should continue. I hate to say it but someday you will not be able to quilt, but you will still be able to give quilts to family or friends and it will be a special gift from you that you had made in the past.