Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of you actually have sewing studio/room >

How many of you actually have sewing studio/room

How many of you actually have sewing studio/room

Old 02-10-2011, 02:30 PM

I converted the office into a sewing room. One day I just decided to make the plunge and put up my machine on the desk, moved the laptop to a small bookshelf and put all my wall hangings up! I love it.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-123399.jpe  
Old 02-10-2011, 02:36 PM

I have a little more than half of my second floor devoted to quilting and crafting (I also enjoy cardmaking and rug making).
Old 02-10-2011, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Nana Julie
I've heard some mention that they have their sewing in the dining room, bedroom, or a corner of the living room. But, who actually has an entire room designated as a sewing studio/room?
I do! Because I live alone I conveted the small of 3 bedrooms into a sewing/computer room. I started out in my dining room and said this will never do as I messed up the whole house.Lol
Old 02-10-2011, 03:08 PM

I am working on mine. Trying to get money for a table for my new Bernina 820. Why do I always get involved in such costly hobby's?

Last hobby was trying to support a Harley Davidson Road King. They can beat you to death on all the little add-ons. Quilting is coming in on a close 2nd in regard to cost. I sold the Harley and am going to use its former bedroom as my studio. Won't be anything in there but quilting related items.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by GGrammie
LallyAnn.

Years ago I had the same dream. I wanted the barn to hold cubicles for different crafts and most of all I wanted a small eating area with a wood stove to serve cider, coffee etc. Maybe a homemade donut or cake.

I still dream of this today, but for me it won't happen...too old.
Keep dreaming, your revived my old dream
I've thought of the wood stove as well but I know that is going to be a tedious job of constant cleaning.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:18 PM

I have the smaller guest bedroom that I turned into my sewing room. My girls know that if they visit together they have to "flip for the bed" in the other bedroom. I put shelving in the walk-in closet and cabinets on the walls above the sewing area. My computer is in here also, sooo the husband comes in here every day to bug me. It is big enough for one sewer and one working on the computer. The dogs have a daybed under the computer desk for when they visit.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:20 PM

I almost do! Right now, I sew in my second kitchen which is actually where I make wine. More than a little crowded right now but that way I am close to my "about to be" sewing studio which has a 15 foot long closet. One of the 5 foot sliding doors is my design wall. Trouble is, I can only put up one sewing machine and one serger. I can hardly wait for my room to be done. I'll have a 5 x 9 foot table where I can cut and iron and 23 feet of counter space for my machines. I happened on a business that was going out and was selling their fixtures also. They had the neatest peg board that I bought for $20. It is on a stand and sort of x shaped. I had DH put wheels on it and now I will be able to roll all my stuff (scissors, rotary cutters, starch, tape, pencils, paper and all the rest of the stuff that we couldn't sew without). I can hardly wait until I actually have room to roll it around. Right now is rather slack time for wine making but I do have 18 gallons in the works so will have to move some of the stuff so we can bottle the wine. Now if I just had a long straw, I could sip and sew. Of course those seams would be pretty variable, certainly not a scant 1/4 inch.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:22 PM

This has been a fun thread to read through! Enjoyed all the different ideas for using space. We added a family room on to our small ranch style house - so my sewing room is now what was the "old" living room. Yes, when you walk in my front door the first thing you see is the Bernina :) It's a great space though, with large front window - lots of light.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:27 PM

I sort of do, we are building currently and I got tired of having to take the machine/sewing notions out then put them away each time I wanted to sew and as the main house is at lock up but will take some time to complete internally I set up a sewing area in a corner of what will be the lounge room. Once we complete the house though I will have a designated craft/sewing room. Am dreading the day when work recommences on the main house as I will have to pack everything up again :(

Maybe1day
Old 02-10-2011, 03:42 PM

I do, it was my son's bedroom. One of the largest rooms in the house and I've managed to fill every nook and cranny. My terrific husband just built a shelf for me this morning to I can go up with more stuff. Sits on the back of my sewing table and is where I keep my rotary cutters, pins, etc. He thinks I'm a bit looney with all the fabric, but bless his heart he is always coming up with suggestions to make things easier. I is a very lucky lady.