Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did you learn to sew in Home Ec? >

Did you learn to sew in Home Ec?

Did you learn to sew in Home Ec?

Old 08-30-2011, 11:52 AM
Power Poster

No. I had to take Home Ec but hated it. I had a firsy year teacher and she did everything by the book and book only. Another classmate who also hated it had her sister so all the sewing for us. By some luck we passed the class.
I still only make clothes that I want and cant find but i love to sew crafts and quilt.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:58 AM

We had sewing classes in 7th and 8th grades. Weren't too succesful in teaching us to sew as there was only one sewing machine in our class. I did machine sew at home and we did do a lot of handsewing, like buttonholes.

7th grade we made a pair of pj's, began in Sept. and in June we modeled our pj's at a school assembly, how embarassing. In 8th grade we made our graduation dresses. Mine was made of organdy and you can imagine how limp and soiled it looked after handling it from Sept. to June. It had hand sewn french seams too. Gave it a good wash and starching and wore it just once for graduation and then hid it in the back of the closet.

We did learn to sew a bit in 6th grade, made an apron, hair wrap and drawstring bag for the cooking classes we were going to have in 7th and 8th grades. Even hand sewed an oil cloth cover onto a compostion book that would become our recipe book. We even learned how to wash dishes in cooking classes, I excelled in the cooking class because I had been washing dishes and cooking since I was about 8 years old.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Eliebelle
When I was in hs (and dirt was new), for some reason, kids who were in college prep (no one ever asked ME if that was my plan), were not allowed to take "frivolous" classes like home ec, typing or shorthand - what could a college student POSSIBLY need with those skills???? I taught myself to sew (still a WIP). I still mess up lots of things, but when I'm done, I know how to do it! BTW, I finally made it to college at 45.
I remember those days, I was enrolled in the business course and wasn't allowed to take courses like biology and advanced math. After all I was told by my guidence couselor I wouldn't be going to college. Well I fooled them and did go and got my degree.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:06 PM

No. I started sewing in 4-H. Also took Home Ec. in high school
Old 08-30-2011, 12:09 PM

They do still teach home ec, but instead of cooking and sewing, they teach how to balance a checkbook. Some cooking and sewing still, but not as much as the olden days!
Old 08-30-2011, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Feathers-N-Fur
FYI, my teenage daughter says her school doesn't offer home ec anymore.
Most schools don't offer any home ec or shop courses any longer because of budget reasons. School one of my granddaughters went to used to have those courses and boys and girls could take whatever ones they wanted to. Granddaughter took both, made me a cute handsewn heart pillow and a birdhouse. She also liked to 'help' grandpa with his workwork stuff.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:26 PM

I knew how to sew before home-ec. Started sewing at 12.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:40 PM

Yes, I learned to sew and cook and entertain. I still remember Mrs. Koonz explaining how to make tomato aspic and how to sew the circular skirt (which I made in plaid...sigh) and hem it. There are times when I am sewing or cooking, I hear her talking to the class. My mom made me take Home Ec, bookkeeping, typing, and shorthand along with all the college prep courses. Thank goodness for the typing, worked my way through college as a secretary and can really really type on any computer made.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:41 PM

I learned or tried to in 7th grade, I attempted to make an envelope purse which was crooked and ugly so I decided from that point on sewing was not for me and it was a scary thing to do, until a few years ago and now I love making quilts.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:42 PM

Yes, took it all four years of HS and loved it!!