Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops >

Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

Old 01-16-2011, 09:58 PM

well i don't go to the smaller quilt shops here because they're a little more then i can afford i go window shopping a lot but i always hate the stares i get from the elderly quilters. im young have piercing dont have tattoos, yet, but i love quilting and when they stare i dont want to go back to those store...

also have classes that are based on the input of the customers not just what you are interested in... one of the shop owners here have a suggestion box that you put what kind of class you would like to attend and if there's enough for a similar class she add it to her classes

But i will tell what i plan on putting in my store that i am planning on opening. i want a main floor where all of the bolts of fabric will be a smaller corner of the floor where fat-quarters, jelly rolls, all patters, and buy-able books would be found. and a rent room a place with books that can be borrowed while the people are there, a couple of sewing machines that can be used for when someones machine is down, a cutting table or two. the hours i also want to very some days open really early others stay open really late. have lots of varying class times not everyone is available at the same time
Old 01-16-2011, 10:15 PM

Sorry if this is a repeat, but it's already 1 a.m. and i need to go to bed! Anyway, in skimming the postings there are lots of great ideas [more than one LQS can do!] However, customer service to ALL shoppers seems to be #1. Beyond that I would come up with a way to do some kind of survey in your area. County or state fair close by? Outside a Walmart or other big box store that has a lot of weekend traffic? [Get permission!] Or even a local paper that might give you free space or discounted space you could put it right in the paper or give a website address. Sites like SurveyMonkey and others allow you to build a survey at low cost. I'm suggesting this because different areas seem to gravitate towards different things. A varied population would need classes at different times on different days [my main LQS offers popular classes on Saturday then a weekday to cover those who work one time or another, plus retirees that may prefer a weekday class or they have one during the day and one at night] However if you have a less varied population certain times or days may be the only ones that work for your customers. No sense having a well stocked Civil War quilt area if you don't have a customer base for it-even if this is your favorite, etc.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:56 PM
QM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kwendt
Ohhh! Good Question!
1. Friendliness, down-to-earth people working there that love to help and get enthused over one's projects.
2. It's also nice when someone looks up and smiles at you when you first walk in the door, even if they are busy and cannot get to you right away, they've acknowledge that they've seen you. Bonus points if they look up, smile AND welcome you by name then go back to whatever they're doing.
3. Personally, I like to see a lot of different types of samples, colorways, etc. While Thimbleberries 'country' is a nice look, it gets boring after a while. A nice cross-section of styles, colors, quilts, options hanging on the walls and put on display get my creative 'juices' a going...
4. Sale racks, sale kits, sale things. Give aways. Freebies. Free demos' on how to use notions, etc.
5. A big back room with 8' tables for classes - or for local quilters like me who do not have the space available to spray baste, pin baste or thread baste a large quilt. Nice when I can call ahead, making sure that there's nothing else going on... and can come over and lay things out. Even get some help!
6. Dinner classes....potlucks... slumber parties... quilt-til-you-wilt events. Fun things!
I agree with all of those. Another issue for me is stinky stuff. I rarely go into JoAnn's because they always have scented stuff, especially by the registers and front door. If I can get something anywhere else, I will, rather than face an asthma attack.

MY LQS is super friendly and helpful. I always enjoy going there.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Ohhh! Good Question!
1. Friendliness, down-to-earth people working there that love to help and get enthused over one's projects.
2. It's also nice when someone looks up and smiles at you when you first walk in the door, even if they are busy and cannot get to you right away, they've acknowledge that they've seen you. Bonus points if they look up, smile AND welcome you by name then go back to whatever they're doing.
3. Personally, I like to see a lot of different types of samples, colorways, etc. While Thimbleberries 'country' is a nice look, it gets boring after a while. A nice cross-section of styles, colors, quilts, options hanging on the walls and put on display get my creative 'juices' a going...
4. Sale racks, sale kits, sale things. Give aways. Freebies. Free demos' on how to use notions, etc.
5. A big back room with 8' tables for classes - or for local quilters like me who do not have the space available to spray baste, pin baste or thread baste a large quilt. Nice when I can call ahead, making sure that there's nothing else going on... and can come over and lay things out. Even get some help!
6. Dinner classes....potlucks... slumber parties... quilt-til-you-wilt events. Fun things!

All of the above but most of all friendly service from clerks. In other words, "good people skills".
Old 01-16-2011, 11:22 PM

Where I quilt in Casa Grande,AZ The shop has open sewing every thursday.For $5.00 you can sew from 9am till 8pm.Some times the owner stays but she has helpers to stay untill all lsdies have left.They also have a PJ Night from 5pm till midnight.We have a ball every one brings something to share and we listen to cd's and sew.We help each other a lot.The last friday of the month we sew all day for cancer quilts to give away.Kokopelli Quilts.Stop by when in Az.South of Phoenix 35 miles.Its a great place to take lessons and have fun.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:34 PM

In defense of the LQS ( BTW I don't own or work at one)... I definitely understand why they can't carry every type of fabric we want. The expense of all those bolts must be enormous. Where there is more than one store in an area, it is in their best interest to specialize. The small LQS I travel to has lovely ladies, great service and a pretty good selection. They don't have room for a large class area or seats for husbands, though I'm sure they would love to have a larger store, but perhaps not in this economy. They offer incentives, have a markdown area. measure carefully, know me by name, give great advice, run an informative website which advertises special events, hang terrific large and small quilting projects, have extended hours on one day - and all with lots of smiles and good humor. It must be tough to be a store owner these days. Kudos to all those wonderful stores that we love to go to. Keep up the good work.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:06 AM

Maybe carrying the fabrics bikers like? They are usually poorly served by most shops! Having a men only class? Have a few niches that you identify and are comfortable with.
Putting fabrics together, so we can see how they go - that is how I picked the fabrics in my current avatar.
Please let us know how you go, and if you go ahead.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:40 AM

I haven't read the thread, but ...

One of our LQS's has aisles that are so narrow that I can barely get my wheelchair down them. I'm constantly worrying about knocking things over. Two people can't even squeeze past each other. Ugh! Bad thing is, they've got a whole front section of the store where they sell home decor-type items. Granted, I don't stay in the store for hours at a time watching people, but I rarely see people shopping in that section. Seems to me that they'd be better off moving some of their fabric there, allowing more room for people to walk around. But whadda I know? ;)

The same store often has sale signs that are very confusing, such as one big display of fabric that's got three differently-priced signs on it. The cashiers are friendly enough, but even they get confused on the prices.

Sometimes DH does my shopping, if he's already out near the store. Most of the time the cutters and cashiers are nice to him, but sometimes they're lukewarm. I guess the idea of a guy buying fabric is "weird" to them. :roll: I've mentioned it before, but at a local sewing machine store, the woman wouldn't even wait on him, even though he had cash money in his pocket. She just shoved a brochure towards him, and that was it. The store was overpriced anyway, so it was just as well, but whew she was rude! :thumbdown:

Reasonable prices are also a "must". :)
Old 01-17-2011, 12:42 AM
QM
Power Poster

My LQS also has a small couch. Many quilters are older and some are disabled, like me. When my LQS owner has the time to chat, or I am waiting for DH it is nice to be able to sit comfortably.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:16 AM

COUPONS...the reason I buy so much at Joann's is COUPONS, COUPONS, COUPONS Monthly.
Classes that are not so costly. I give classes at a local shop and try to charge low amts. I personally would love to take more classes from others just to get out and meet people but when I see the price...Pls you show someone a technique and sit there while they work...no need to milk them.
Yes, friendly employees...I go to another shop where they barely look at you and you almost have to beg them to cut a yd of fabric...I rarely go there just when I'm in the mood to deal with that type of atmosphere.
Carry allot of Theme fabrics...I do scene's and you don't know how frustrating it is to go from shop to shop and maybe finding a rock fabric or a wood scene etc...Novelty also.
Encourage your customers to bring in their final products to show. The place where I teach is the best...Friendly, almost family atmosphere and everyone gathers to see what you bought in customers, workers.
Produce a newsletter via email each mth to your customers...this place also does that and she tells personal stories, schedules for classes, sales and new arrivials...
Hope that helps