Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • grandmas flower garden quilt - paper piece or not? >
  • grandmas flower garden quilt - paper piece or not?

• grandmas flower garden quilt - paper piece or not?

Old 04-11-2014, 12:57 PM

Oh Tellabella your GFG is just beautiful!!
    Old 04-11-2014, 02:16 PM

so, so pretty.
    Old 04-11-2014, 02:22 PM
    Power Poster

I prefer hand piecing hexagons. The extra steps involved with using paper are not necessary. I was never satisfied with the look I got with a whip stitch; much prefer both the look and speed of simply piecing in the regular way. The method I like was demonstrated by Jinny Beyer on a video I checked out of the library years ago. It is very fast and forgiving and was how she pieced her award-winning GFG some decades ago. If you can find her DVD that shows hand piecing techniques, you will see what I mean about fast. I will never be as fast as she is, but her method was faster for me than any paper piecing technique would have been.

To cut my hexagons, I used a window metal template from http://www.ardcotemplates.com/ . First I cut strips of fabric the width of the template, then used the template and my rotary cutter on stacks of 4 strips to cut the hexagons. The window templates allow you to trace the sewing line onto the hexies if you want to, but once you have done a few (especially if you have watched how Jinny Beyer does it), marking becomes unnecessary.
    Old 04-11-2014, 02:28 PM

Thank you so much for all of your replies... the quilts are all gorgeous thank you for sharing....
    Old 04-11-2014, 03:25 PM

[QUOTE=auntpiggylpn;6670473]I am making a scrappy EPP quilt and I went to Joann's and bought the large Fiskar Hexagon paper punch (found in the scrap booking section). I used a coupon and it was less than $9. It makes a 1" hexagon. I make the hexies out of card stock so they aren't as flimsy as regular paper. I sew a bunch together and then remove the card stock and use it again. I use 2 1/2" squares

It is really relaxing to make the Hexies. I started mine back in October because we were preparing to move out of state and I had to pack up my sewing room. I keep mine by my side of the couch and work on it while watching tv.[/Q

Which one is the 1"? The Large or Xlarge?
    Old 04-11-2014, 04:17 PM

[QUOTE=sewbelle52;6671322]
    Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
    I am making a scrappy EPP quilt and I went to Joann's and bought the large Fiskar Hexagon paper punch (found in the scrap booking section). I used a coupon and it was less than $9. It makes a 1" hexagon. I make the hexies out of card stock so they aren't as flimsy as regular paper. I sew a bunch together and then remove the card stock and use it again. I use 2 1/2" squares

It is really relaxing to make the Hexies. I started mine back in October because we were preparing to move out of state and I had to pack up my sewing room. I keep mine by my side of the couch and work on it while watching tv.[/Q

Which one is the 1"? The Large or Xlarge?
    I think it is the XL. . . When you go to Joann's just grab a ruler and measure one side of the hexagon on the punch. You can use any size you want; the smaller the Hexie the more you gotta make!!! I think my scrappy will take about 1500+ using the 1" hexies
    Old 04-11-2014, 06:03 PM
    Power Poster

i would try a few ways to make them and see what you like the best good luck
    Old 04-12-2014, 03:28 AM

I just discovered Grandma's Flower Garden and am considering making a kit so i can quilt on the go. It scares the wits out of me because i am terrible at sewing by hand.

It's definitely on my quickly growing "to do eventually" list.
    Old 04-12-2014, 03:34 AM
    Swap Hosts

I made a large runner with hexes cut with my Accuquilt Go! and stitched it together by hand. Very relaxing hand work for the evenings, I think.
    Old 04-12-2014, 03:36 AM

I have done it both ways. My first ( Avatar pic ) was all done by hand with no paper piecing. I just matched up the two points when not paper pieced then hand sewed. Right now I'm working on a scrappy 1 inch one. As others stated, it sits by my chair and work on it as I watch TV. So both is fine. I will say though, the paper piecing will be easier when it comes to putting the blocks together. But both ways seem to be precise.