Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Last 5 Quilts Ever... >
  • Last 5 Quilts Ever...

• Last 5 Quilts Ever...

Old 03-14-2015, 04:51 PM

I understand what your saying I have mainly made quilts for my family and myself but lately decided to start making donation quilts because I have decided I wanted keep making quilts to help others. I don't think I will change in the way I make my quilts but learn simple technique to make them better. Thank you for sharing this with us.
    Old 03-14-2015, 05:01 PM

I kind of had those same thoughts when I made another top, pieced the back, made the binding and hung it up with the other 6 quilts in the same state. I wondered who would ever finish them as neither my DD or DDIL quilt. I've been on a mission ever since to have them quilted and completely finished! All the quilts that were hanging on that rod have now been completed. I'm now on a mission to search out all the tops that have been finished but don't have a backing or the binding done. I'm hoping that when they are all done I will continue that same train of thought with UFO's that need the tops completed. I am happy with the quilts that I make -- and even happier when they are completely done!
    Old 03-14-2015, 06:31 PM

I think you should do what was in your last sentence. Go for it, life it too short.
    Old 03-14-2015, 06:37 PM

I will be 74 next month and have no intention on giving up easy. I have a lot to do here in my sewing room yet!
    Old 03-14-2015, 06:57 PM

Certainly good to consider one's priorities, even in our hobbies. I really ought to start making quilts for my kids so that, in case I die before I think, they will have a work of my hands themselves. At this point, they would only say, "She was always making quilts for total strangers and babies, but I don't have anything." Or maybe they won't think that way at all .Maybe they will see giving to strangers as part of my legacy and continue that.
    Old 03-15-2015, 03:43 AM

I still have a few grandchildren who haven't received their quilt from gma yet, but other than that I make what I want. Right now I am working on a quilt that my mother started....she got the top finished before she died. I am doing the fmq to complete it, hopefully in the next couple days. It has been a struggle as her piecing skills were not the best and the quilt doesn't lay flat at all. Since it is a Broken Star (?) I have been putting just a few stitches at the corner of each small diamond piece to tack it down, and then some fmq in the outside squares. I work on it for a while, then take a break. I want so badly to make it look nice that I am overly critical of how my fmq looks and I stitch and rip, stitch and rip. It makes my brain hurt.
    Old 03-15-2015, 04:10 AM

I am now at the part of life where I'm thinking about this, too. So, for now, I'm going to work on quilts that I want to do and not be distracted by some fun group thing or make quilts for charity for awhile. The last five years have been willingly spent on charity and baby quilts for others and quilts for friends. I figure I have 10-15 good years left to finish what I want to do quiltwise. Time to make some for me.
    Old 03-15-2015, 04:17 AM

After an 80 day stay in two hospitals and being on a feeding tube for several months, I thought about all of these things. I decided that I would continue to do what I can as long as I can and then worry about what to do with the "stuff". Now I have macular degeneration and am facing the loss of my eyesight. I got a better (stronger) light to attach to my sewing machine, got an Ott light to use by my easy chair, read on a Kindle, etc. but I'm not giving up yet. When I can't piece the small pieces together I will make aprons or pillowcases. I also cook, but it is getting difficult to read the recipes without a flashlight or the Ott lightl, so I'll print out my favorites on the computer in a larger font. I can't just sit with my hands folded neatly in my lap, I have to have projects of some kind. My theory is never give up!
    Old 03-15-2015, 04:19 AM

I told my SIL that after she takes what she wants to donate the rest to a church with a quilting circle. The only time I buy fabric is if it's a solid that I'm short on. I have enough stash for 2 more life times after this one. I only have 1 UFO -it's the one I was making for my dearly missed husband. Some day I will get it sandwiched and quilted-maybe
    Old 03-15-2015, 04:30 AM

I hope to be sitting at my sewing machine, working on my last quilt, when the Good Lord calls me home.