Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Appreciation for your quilt gift >
  • Appreciation for your quilt gift

• Appreciation for your quilt gift

Old 08-27-2017, 07:02 AM

There are different kinds of "gift receivers". some "gush" thank you many times over the gift. Others say a simple thank you maybe a hug and that is all. Just because someone does not "gush" does not mean they appreciate the gift any less ghat someone who can not stop thanking you. I personally am a "gusher" and it sounds like you are also a "gusher" It takes all kind to make the world go round!
    Old 08-27-2017, 07:20 AM
    Power Poster

I decided to make my hubby a new quilt for his birthday this year. He knows how much work that is and has already acted so proud that I would do that for him.
    I gifted a quilt to two people that never even called to say thanks. Boy, what a let down.
    Old 08-27-2017, 11:32 AM
    Power Poster

well "thank you" redgarnet222 for all you do. it helps to hear this once in awhile.
    Old 08-27-2017, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
    I decided to make my hubby a new quilt for his birthday this year. He knows how much work that is and has already acted so proud that I would do that for him.
    I gifted a quilt to two people that never even called to say thanks. Boy, what a let down.
    That was incredibly rude. I've always gotten at least a thank you.
    Old 08-27-2017, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by bigsister63
    There are different kinds of "gift receivers". some "gush" thank you many times over the gift. Others say a simple thank you maybe a hug and that is all. Just because someone does not "gush" does not mean they appreciate the gift any less ghat someone who can not stop thanking you. I personally am a "gusher" and it sounds like you are also a "gusher" It takes all kind to make the world go round!
    No, I'm far from a gusher and my friends and family aren't either and I don't expect that. I do try to show my appreciation in other ways. A few years ago, a friend of mine who is a painter gifted me a painting of my puppies from a photograph I had posted. I thanked him a couple of times and never forgot that kindness. When I started quilting a year or so back, I made and mailed him a queen-size quilt. He said he had given people paintings before but no one had ever given him anything back. I've never met him in person but he has been a long-time online friend. He went out and bought a wall rack for it and sent me a picture.

If you've ever cross-stitched, it takes much longer to do one of those pictures (it did me, anyway) than it does to make a quilt. I did pictures and framed them for people who didn't even bother to put them on their wall. Those people who don't appreciate the work put into a gift don't deserve to get one of them. That's all I'm saying.
    Old 08-27-2017, 01:10 PM
    Power Poster

I just saw another post similar to this- For my inlaws 40th wedding anniversary I made them a beautiful cross-stitch keepsake of their special day.
    My MIL opened it up and said flatly " Oh how fancy"- when I think of it now it cracks me up b/c she had complete opposite taste to mine and was generally cranky anyway.
    I never saw it, ever again!!
    Yes, that was the only thing I ever made them. However the picture of Pope John Paul that I got her from St. Patrick's Cathedral for about 2 bucks was a big hit
    Old 08-28-2017, 08:54 PM

I love your story. I am so happy your eye sight was saved. No greater gift than that! It was very thoughtful of you to thank your doctor! And so sweet that she was so emotionally responsive.

I made two baby quilts this summer. I received no acknowledgement for either. I am glad I made them as much for the learning experience as I did for gifting. I keep reminding myself of this.
    Old 09-02-2017, 08:33 PM

It's a wonderful feeling when appreciates the effort it takes to make a quilt. We are building a house and my designer went out of her way to make things perfect. I made her a quilt and when she received it I got the most wonderful note. She told me in her entire career no one has done something like that for her. It made me feel so nice.