Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Mission: Organization
  • I may be revamping pattern storage?  Your opinions appreciated. >
  • I may be revamping pattern storage? Your opinions appreciated.

• I may be revamping pattern storage? Your opinions appreciated.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:15 AM

I'm not very savvy in this computer-driven world but I always worry what will the technology be like in 10 years when I want to restore one of the patterns. Guess I'm old-fashioned! I would keep the hard copies.
    Old 02-08-2019, 01:27 PM

I keep most of mine in 3 binders with protective sleeves. These are purchased patterns or ones torn out of magazines. I go through them on a regular basis.

I get many free patterns online. I put those in a folder in my computer sorted by type. Patriotic----kids---and hearts which are made for a specific charity, I never print then out. I send them to my Ipad and work off that.

I have decided to no longer purchase PDFs as the ink is pricey and they are often just as expensive as the paper ones they could mail to me. I would rather pay a little postage.
    Old 02-08-2019, 09:40 PM

I keep my free patterns on my computer because they are downloaded. I store my paper patterns in binders. I am not sure about how copyright stuff works but I think scanning is like making xerox copies so I have hesitated. Since I am always misplacing the binder or pattern I am working on, keeping everything on the computer would keep me from having to buy a new copy of a pattern when the one I started with starts playing hide and seek.
    Old 02-12-2019, 02:19 PM

What do you use to scan them? I find scanning is a very slow process. Any hints on making it faster?
    Old 02-17-2019, 04:12 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1
    I keep my free patterns on my computer because they are downloaded. I store my paper patterns in binders. I am not sure about how copyright stuff works but I think scanning is like making xerox copies so I have hesitated. Since I am always misplacing the binder or pattern I am working on, keeping everything on the computer would keep me from having to buy a new copy of a pattern when the one I started with starts playing hide and seek.
    scanning or xeroxing/copying for your own personal use does not violate the copyright. you just can't distribute or publish them.
    Old 02-17-2019, 04:28 AM

I don’t have a huge library of patterns so the binder method (plastic sleeves) for patterns works fine for me. Like most, I also have some stored on my computer that I’ve downloaded from free websites but I’m not sure they are stored neatly there.
    Old 02-23-2019, 09:59 PM

Luvrazz, I think when you scan it, you have the option to save as a PDF or an image like a jpg.
    Old 02-24-2019, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by cindynvb
    What do you use to scan them? I find scanning is a very slow process. Any hints on making it faster?
    I have a Canon TS5020 that is a printer, scanner, copier all in one. I can scan a 7 page pattern in just a couple of minutes and it is saved as a PDF on my computer. I can choose the name and the location before scanning. The newer printer/scanners scan much faster than the older models. One of the first scanners I had took almost 5 minutes to scan one page.....so frustrating.
    I have both paper and digital copies of most of my patterns. I also scan all new patterns I purchase so I can print it or part of it, mark as I make the pattern as a check off and still keep my original pattern like new. I am aware of copyright laws and as long as the copy is for my own personal use, I am ok legally and morally. I make bags and totes as well as quilts and it is really handy to be able to check off each step or make a note on the pattern without messing up the original.
    Old 03-27-2019, 07:59 AM

My husband and I each have a a Fujitsu ScanSnap portable scanner and we love them. They have a small footprint, scan very fast, and come with software that makes it easy to organize (and find) your scanned documents.
    Old 03-28-2019, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Kris P
    I'm a very tactile person. I like to hold the pattern. flip through magazines and read a book made from paper. I find that anything that I store digitally is out of sight, out of mind.
    I'm with you...all the patterns I downloaded have never been pulled up again. I like to go thru paper and see what's next.