Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tshirt quilt?? $$ >

Tshirt quilt?? $$

Tshirt quilt?? $$

Old 09-13-2019, 02:07 PM

I cannot understand why you would even entertain this idea, being the voice in your head was saying no. Being a co worker this can cause future headaches at your job. However, your an adult and can make your own decisions.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:27 PM

When you get together to discuss the costs it will not matter if other people over hear this. They will not be witnesses and it won't help you to get lots of other people involved. Please write down all the costs, including your labor cost in black and white. Present it as any business person would do, since that is what you will be for this, if you go through with it. Ask for a deposit up front, at least the cost of the fabric you will have to buy. I think you know that you should not do this and you should listen to your heart. If you don't listen, to your heart then be sure to act as a business person.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Klermont View Post
she brought me about 18 T-shirts, apparently her son is a huge Packers fan,
I tried to explain to her the blocking process, and how much of the design could be used, and I'm not sure but I think she expects me to use every shirt.

seriously she wants a twin/throw quilt that's as large as she gets

I plan to sit down this weekend, and decide exactly what and how I'm gonna do it, and bring it back Mon. explain how it's gonna look, I'll give her the option of getting backing, batting or if she wants me to.
And......I will make sure we have this conversation in a place where other people are listening (witnesses)

anything I have to purchase I'll save the receipt.
I'm just not sure where to start.
*** Don’t buy anything out of your pocket, or ahead of an agreed price. Charge her a Non-Refundable deposit of 50% of what you determine your material/ supplies will cost. Don’t worry about others listening. Get everything in writing. Sketch out the design- I generally use graph paper, figure your supplies/ material needs, price them out ( such as 3 yards sashing/ border fabric @ $12 per yard, ) itemize ( lump the smalls together like $15 for notions - meaning thread, needles, etc) remember batting and backing. then estimate the time you will spend — remember quilting is usually a separate charge- determine what hourly wage your time is worth to you. I often charge $20 an hour for my time but have gone up as high as $45 on some projects. Add it all up write it all down. Split it in half and put that amount for the 50% deposit ( to be paid before you cut a single fabric or shirt) with the remainder due upon completion. make 2 copies, make sure you both sign them- one for you, one for her. and don’t deliver the quilt until you are paid. If she looks at the ( contract/ agreement) and decides never mind- you save yourself a lot of work and possibly difficult work environment.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:18 PM

My response to a request to make a quilt is, "You can't afford me!".

On the rare occasions that I am asked to make a quilt again by the same person, I tell them, " No. But I'd be glad to teach you how to make a quilt, though."

Haven't ever had a third request.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:13 PM

I've followed this with great interest! I only have 5 cousins on my dad's side, and we've always been extremely close. The youngest just asked my to make her son a T-Shirt quilt for his high school graduation. I immediately said "sure!". She's been saving his T-shirts for years, and he just entered 10th grade. So we decided I would start soon and do them in chronological order. Having 3 years to work on it doesn't seem so daunting. We didn't even discuss price. I will keep track of hours and $$ though!
Old 09-13-2019, 10:05 PM

I started my quilting business focusing on making t-shirt quilts-start to finish. I charged 11cents/sq inch--including the initial cutting, the stablizer, the second cutting, the piecing (and hours of design ahead of time if all shirts are not same size), the quilting, the squaring and binding. I think due to increased costs of fabric and stabilizer, that a more reasonable price today would be 13cents/sq. inch.
Do not start cutting all those shirts before you give her a cost estimate and time estimate too.(when you can have it finished by)
One thing I did to avoid the whole "include every single shirt" was to get a flannel backed plastic table cloth and draw the different sizes (lap, twin, queen) and folding shirts to the logo size you'd use, lay them out with her. Most figure out real quick that every shirt will not fit and costs become real apparent, too.
Good luck--after 30 t-shirt quilts (and one donated one left for the local library, maybe future one's for own grandkids) I no longer do them for customers--not particularly fun, and people really don't want to pay what is needed to be profitable.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:50 PM

I agree with Bearisgray - just tell her you don’t want to do it!
Old 09-14-2019, 02:41 AM

---and then comes, "I saw the wonderful tshirt quilt you made for your friend and I have shirts that I'd like in a quilt, too." Are you ready to go into business?
Old 09-14-2019, 03:14 AM

They couldn't pay me enough to do another T-shirt quilt. Did one and will never do another!!!
Old 09-14-2019, 03:28 AM

Default T short quilt

Originally Posted by Klermont View Post
she brought me about 18 T-shirts, apparently her son is a huge Packers fan,
I tried to explain to her the blocking process, and how much of the design could be used, and I'm not sure but I think she expects me to use every shirt.

seriously she wants a twin/throw quilt that's as large as she gets

I plan to sit down this weekend, and decide exactly what and how I'm gonna do it, and bring it back Mon. explain how it's gonna look, I'll give her the option of getting backing, batting or if she wants me to.
And......I will make sure we have this conversation in a place where other people are listening (witnesses)

anything I have to purchase I'll save the receipt.
I'm just not sure where to start.
Go to Project repat. https://www.projectrepat.com/ It’s a non profit t shirt quilt company. Better yet give her the website. They charge 110 for. Twin size. I just wouldn’t do it for that price. I made my husbands free but he’s special. Lol.