Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Feeling guilty about my new "baby" >

Feeling guilty about my new "baby"

Feeling guilty about my new "baby"

Old 06-29-2010, 06:07 PM

Rip that baby open! My DH tries to make me feel guilty if I buy a yard of material. If yours doesn't mind....then don't worry about it! People are gonna benefit from all the gorgeous things you make!
Old 06-29-2010, 09:17 PM
Power Poster

Don't feel guilty. If you are making quilts lots of people are going to enjoy that machine. Get it out and play with it.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:29 PM

Ever heard the saying, "If Mama ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy"?

You worked for it, you deserve it, and you being happy is going to make your family happy.

Now...get after it, get it open and post a pic for us...preferably one that includes your happy face!! :lol:
Old 06-29-2010, 09:41 PM

I just had a conversation today with my mother, I was talking to her about how I used to feel guilty about the money I spend on quilting, however when I die (like we all will some day) if I left someone 500.00(how weird that that's actually the amount I said to her and that's the price of your machine) that person I gave the money to would spend it probably pretty fast with todays prices, they would think of me for a couple days, then forget. But (here's the good part) if I left that same person a quilt I made them, they would (hopefully smile,not think glad she's gone..lol) think of me and remember me everytime they used the quilt. So, today I decided Not to feel any guilt about quilt money, and neither should any of you, my quilt friends :)
Old 06-29-2010, 09:58 PM

Every now and then we have to " Splurge on Us " and what you just bought will last. :) Nothing wrong with being frugal, But you've earned it so Enjoy ....

If nothing else list all the things you could have spent it on and not had near as much fun with. The list w/be long.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Lyncat
I have done the same thing, but you need to realize that you aren't the only one that will get enjoyment out of your new "baby". Others will enjoy the things you make on it, and they will also benefit from the good mood you will be in after spending time sewing on a nice machine that does what you want it to do. I say ENJOY!!!
AMEN!!!
Old 06-30-2010, 07:22 AM

Everyone agrees that you deserve to have this new machine, including me! :D

Open it up and get sewing because it won't do you any good sitting in the box!!! :lol:
Old 06-30-2010, 10:06 AM

I do the same thing....always buying the cheap stuff,but you know what? I found that once in a while you have to splurge.Dont feel bad! take it out of the box and GET SEWING!!!.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:09 AM

You get what you pay for. Babylock makes great machines & it will last for a long time. I have 4 of them now. When my Dh bought me a Quilters Choice Pro Professionel I nearly fainted. He said I deserved it because I never buy any thing for myself. You won't be sorry. Take it out & take a ride or sew. That is a good price.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:19 AM

I haven't shopped for a machine lately, so I don't know about the deals out there, but I do know that I was in a similar position when I was 29. I was sewing on a Singer portable that my sister gave me, that she had bought used, and I was struggling with it. I was sewing a lot at the time, and hubby and I agreed I could use a new machine. I bought a Bernina, the 831, and was SO HAPPY to have that machine. It was a joy to sew on and I've made so many things with it. It has repaid me many times over for the purchase price, and it was such an upgrade. Having the correct tools to work with make such a difference! Being frugal only makes sense if you know enough when to splurge occasionally! ENJOY! ENJOY!