Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
weight loss challenge with a prize sign up.....ends March 2 @8am >

weight loss challenge with a prize sign up.....ends March 2 @8am

weight loss challenge with a prize sign up.....ends March 2 @8am

Old 03-03-2011, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by dgrindey
Originally Posted by judyfry
Hi. Intro time! I am 72, and fat but getting over it. I have type 2 diabetes, high b/p that is well controlled on Meds. I had a gall bladder attack and had to stop eating fat so I have lost about 30 pounds. My starting weight on the first was 185.5 pounds. I like to win so watch out for me! I love the new Carbmaster yogurt from Ralph's grocery and have it with cereal on alternate mornings I make an egg beater omelette. I am allergic to exercise. LOL
Judy
Hi Judy Fry. I love SLO and in fact, several years ago when you had a special election, I was hired as the election consultant to help the City Clerk run the election. Loved it and we come up that way often. Welcome to the thread--I'm 71 tomorrow!
Hi Donna. I had the good fortune to be born here. And Happy Birthday early!
Judy
Old 03-03-2011, 04:48 PM

Oven Yogurt Making
Makes 1/2 gallon
1/2 gallon milk
1/2 cup instant dry milk powder
1 Tablespoon good vanilla
1 6 oz. container yogurt with active cultures (first batch after that save some of your own)
Thermometer
Large, heavy, pot
Electric stove with light or gas stove with non-auto pilot light. Can also use a heating pad/towel/and box to cover. I have also seen recipes using a crockpot heated, then turned off and wrapped in a huge towel. Would be easy to bring the heat up on that setup.

Place milk in pot and add dry milk powder. Stir well.

Heat milk to 180 degrees, stirring now and then so bottom doesn't burn.

Fill sink with ice cold water and place pot inside sink or cool on counter if you're patient. It takes time. Cool down to 110-112 degrees. Add vanilla. Add yogurt and stir well.

Fill containers of your choice. I use jelly canning jars or glass quart jars. They don't need to seal, just be covered. Place in a 9 x 13 pan partially full of hot water (for canning jars). If I use quarts, I use a Dutch oven to hold the water and jars.

Heat oven to 110-115 and turn off. Turn on oven light.

Place yogurt in oven on upper rack and check oven periodically to make sure it stays about 110 degrees. If the temp seems to low, I add very hot water to the pan. I use a candy thermometer and check the temp of the water.

Yogurt will be "done" in 4-6 hours but you can let it incubate for up to 12 depending on how tart you like it and how much beneficial bacteria you wish it to have.

It won't be overly thick. If you want it thicker, place it in a strainer with a coffee filter or fine cheesecloth. I don't mind it soft. Save the whey if you do strain it.

Serve plain or with any kind of fruit.

Hello, Judyfry. From another Judy born when Judy Garland was singing 'Over the Rainbow'.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:04 PM

Oh gosh, yall... my internet connection has been more down than up. I haven't been able to get on for two days... and then only for a few minutes as it flakes out constantly...

Can I still get in for March? Please oh please. I lost another 4 lbs in February... I attribute it to all the laughing I do when I read this thread!

Hugs to all... yes, Missy should be 'in', congrats to the two Feb winners....and I better go check all my email before I run out of time...
Old 03-03-2011, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by bluteddi
Originally Posted by trupeach1
I don't take bedtime pills or any pills for that matter so I didn't even think of the fact they have to take time to work.

As for me being mean, or tough you bet I am how the heck do you think we all lose weight on this thread?

While you turn your head and call ham sandwich.......I am screaming on top of my lungs...........get to bed fat a**!!!!!!!!!!!
I wish I didn't take meds..... but after years of fighting it... no bedtime pills = no sleep. So , I have resigned myself to nighttime pills.... sigh

BTW .... I am now taking my MORNIG pills, BLAH..........

we will see how touch u are , IF I lose wt..... ( I only had that one half ham sandwich... and I GOTTA eat something!) I've never been one to diet, so this is a first for me ( obviously according to my size...)
I bought carrots at the store.... SEE, I am trying. <smirk>
My name is dee and I"m a carbaholic. ( is there a 12 step program for me?)
There is Overeaters Anonymous, it's based on the 12 step program.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Good morning - afternoon- whatever. My time is still screwed from being sick, but at least I feel better today.

Soda abstainers - three days and the headaches and tiredness will leave. Hang in there. You've already done at least one. MJ, it's none of my business, but how can drink any soda on a low sodium diet? That's not what you thought I was going to say, is it?

I won't mention the artificial sweeteners in Crystal Lite. You need to do your own research on that one.

Missy, you are to be commended for your willingness to commit to such a restricted diet. You go, girl. Lose the 30 and I'll gladly send a FQ.

I make yogurt in the oven in glass jars. It works just fine. The dogs like it better than I do, but they need to eat healthy, too. The jars have to sit in a pan of water and the temp has to be checked occasionally, but it's not hard.

Tru, your oatmeal recipes always sound so good that if I wasn't hungry for a grilled cheese sandwich, I'd have some for dinner.

Never had a cheerleading uniform on except for Halloween parties bur here goes, "We ARE losing weight and getting healthy!!!!
Diet 7UP has 30g of sodium. Not high at all. Don't eat salt on anything. Use frozen veggies.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kwendt

Can I still get in for March? Please oh please. I lost another 4 lbs in February... I attribute it to all the laughing I do when I read this thread!

Hugs to all... yes, Missy should be 'in', congrats to the two Feb winners....and I better go check all my email before I run out of time...
No Missy CAN NOT be in and I have already explained why.

Yes you could be in the cut off date is really for the newbies the people who have been in the month before know their weight so you are fine.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:48 PM

Hi all. I'm going to be ............50 this March. I'm tired of saying , I will do it this year , I will do it before I'm 50. I lost about 45 pounds almost two years ago and now it's back. Must have been my conditioner ! The last couple of days have been good. I can't kick the diet coke. Will make me crazy . :twisted: I did cut a few out :twisted: for water. I will be working the next three days , so I will see how that goes. Sometimes a wee bit stressful there. :twisted:
Missy, what kind of surgury are you having and what is your diet pre - op ? My daughter had gastric bypass 15 months ago. So I know alittle about the road you are on , if in fact you are doing bypass.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
but custards are cooked it is not the same. yogurt isn't COOKED it is warmed to let the fermentation take place and with that comes the killing of lactose which is what causes the stomach problems.
Lactose isn't the problem, here....I simply do not digest it. I am able to eat other items that have milk cooked into it.

I'm willing to try the yogurt... I love yogurt.. it just does not tend to love me... worst case senerio..... the hubby and the cat gets some yogurt

I hate all the calories/etc in most store bought yogurts
Old 03-03-2011, 05:58 PM

I just to want to add my thanks for all the hints, receipes and good humor you all share with us. Just wanted to add, I stopped drinking diet pop 3 weeks ago. I no longer have it in the house, so when I think I am going to die without it, I HAVE to drink water or herb tea. I will confess, I do have a diet pop when we go out for lunch. I don't excersize much because of my bad knee. Even walking hurts. I do go for physical therapy 3 times a week and that gives me some excersize. By the way, I also said I would loose my weight before age 50, I am now 68 and haven't loss much of it. Did loose 39 lbs last year, but have gained back some of it. Yuck.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by dgrindey
Hi. Intro time! I am 72, and fat but getting over it. I have type 2 diabetes, high b/p that is well controlled on Meds. I had a gall bladder attack and had to stop eating fat so I have lost about 30 pounds. My starting weight on the first was 185.5 pounds. I like to win so watch out for me! I love the new Carbmaster yogurt from Ralph's grocery and have it with cereal on alternate mornings I make an egg beater omelette. I am allergic to exercise. LOL
Judy
Hi Judy Fry. I love SLO and in fact, several years ago when you had a special election, I was hired as the election consultant to help the City Clerk run the election. Loved it and we come up that way often. Welcome to the thread--I'm 71 tomorrow!
Hi Donna. I had the good fortune to be born here. And Happy Birthday early!
Judy
Thank you