Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What notions are a waste of money? >

What notions are a waste of money?

What notions are a waste of money?

Old 11-11-2010, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by OzarksGma
Originally Posted by scowlkat
Worst purchase ever - Martelli ergonomic rotary cutters! Bought both sizes and both broke within a month.

Gypsy grippers for rulers - more trouble than they are worth INHO.
The first ones that came out were molded with a split down the center and had a black handle, the new ones have red handles and are molded solid. I've used these for seven years and wouldn't use anything else. I do a major amount of cutting and they have saved my hands tremendously since they are truly ergonomic. If you send the cutter back to the company, they will replace it. They stand behind their products.
I have the original Martelli Rotary cutter and I love it! I bought
it when they first came out, never had a problem with mine.
:-D
Old 11-11-2010, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by JudeWill
The side-winder was my most expensive notion purchase (so far) that I don't like. Does not wind tight. I was going to return it, but too much time had passed.

One of my handiest tools is a telescoping rod with a magnet on the end. Great for picking up dropped needles, pins & small tools.
I don't understand why buy a sidewinder when there is a bobbin winder on most machines? I have heard nothing but bad about them.

The telescoping rod with magnet was one of my best tools too.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:51 PM

Just to add a note; my DH has worked with computers for years and he said having the magnetic pin dishes on the table beside your sewing machine is not a problem. Those magnets are not strong enough to cause a problem with your sewing machines. He says not to rub it up and down over the face of your machine tho. LOL
Old 11-11-2010, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Matilda
Originally Posted by JudeWill
The side-winder was my most expensive notion purchase (so far) that I don't like. Does not wind tight. I was going to return it, but too much time had passed.

One of my handiest tools is a telescoping rod with a magnet on the end. Great for picking up dropped needles, pins & small tools.
I don't understand why buy a sidewinder when there is a bobbin winder on most machines? I have heard nothing but bad about them.

The telescoping rod with magnet was one of my best tools too.
i have two friends who's bobbin winders on thier "new home" machines, quit on them. (the machines are about 25 years old .) one like the side winder, one took hers back..
Old 11-11-2010, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by sewTinker
When I was Brand New to quilting, I saw a quilter on Simply Quilts use a kind of "ruler" that is essentially a big square with cutting slits every two inches. You square your fabric and lay this on it and then rotary cut through the slits. I used it once unsuccessfully - it required more coordination than apparently I possess. Perhaps with practice I could master it... Meanwhile, it sits propped behind my cutting table. for 10 years. lol...
Agree with you on slit ruler. It can bend too easily and then you don't cut evenly. Waste of money..
Old 11-11-2010, 04:09 PM

Here are my bobbin thread holders..(keeps the thread from unwinding in the bobbin holder)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-124154.jpe   attachment-124155.jpe  
Old 11-11-2010, 04:13 PM

The telescoping rod with magnet was one of my best tools too.[/quote]

I bought the Side Winder to wind bobbins for one of my old Singers, the bobbin winder doesn't work right. I too like the telescoping rod magnet...just wish plastic bobbins could be snagged with it too. I dropped one of the plastic bobbins and it rolled under the cabinet all the way to the wall. :roll:
Old 11-11-2010, 04:26 PM

I can't think of what I haven't used but has anyone tried one of the new rulers with the diamond edge that sharpens your rotary blade as you cut. I haven't gotten one yet but it sounds like an idea whose time has come. I don't know why someone hasn't come up with it way before now!
Old 11-11-2010, 04:30 PM
Power Poster

I use the bobbin winder that came with my machine to do M bobbins.
For my domestic machine I use the bobbin winder on top of the machine so the Sidewinder would be useless to me. The other machine I use doesn't fit on the sidewinder. There are brands that it won't wind bobbins for.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pollyann
I can't think of what I haven't used but has anyone tried one of the new rulers with the diamond edge that sharpens your rotary blade as you cut. I haven't gotten one yet but it sounds like an idea whose time has come. I don't know why someone hasn't come up with it way before now!
A few pages back someone said it doesn't work.