Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Darling? Husband >

My Darling? Husband

My Darling? Husband

Old 01-21-2011, 05:38 PM

I was amazed at the number of posts on this topic. My DH is fairly supportive - not in the beginning, but okay with my quilting now. We are both retired so we both have a lot more time to do what we like. The one thing I was happy to see from all the posts - I have now learned my DH is NOT the only male that spends a lot of time on the computer and watching TV. In the spring, summer and fall he fishes and does a little hunting, but not so much anymore, but the time he spends on the computer, playing games and watching TV non-stop seems like a waste of time to me. I can't just stare at the TV without something in my hands.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:10 PM

It's not their fault, they just don't have a clue. I think one reason I like to embroider is that I sit in the living room with him while he watches sports. That seems to count as time together although I don't know why.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:21 PM
Dee

My DH has supported my sewing, quilting and all the crafts for 46 years. He has never grumped about it. He is happy because I'm happy.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:18 AM

Second marriage, 10 years together, both retired. He says if I shop and cook, he'll do dishes. if he notices a laundry basket is full, he washes and dries it, brings it down for us to fold. Otherwise, I do 2-3 loads a week, he helps fold. We have his/hers/ours bank accounts so what I spend on fabric doesn't bother him at all. He likes old cars, has 6 he drives in rotation to keep them going. I go with him on some of his rides around the neighborhood, but not all. We have the tv going in the evening, some nights to "Pawn Stars" and Swamp hunter shows, but at least half the time to my cooking shows. Neither of us is avidly watching, we are on our computers, or I knit or hand sew. We are together, we comment to each other, it works. I go away to a quilt retreat for 5 days once or twice a year. He is happy as long as I leave a few frozen meals behind. I try to comment on his backyard farm and he asked if he could have my most recent quilt! I think maturity and a willingness to please each other makes for a happy marriage (and a happy quilter)!
Old 01-22-2011, 07:15 AM

My husband better not complain (too much). He set me up for my first lessons. I don't think he ever thought it would become my passion. When we bought our new house, he gave the den to me for a sewing room. It has a door and a bathroom right besde it. When I am done for the day, he wants that door closed. He warned me that the day he saw thread or fabric in any other room, it would become a den, again. I love being able to let everything set and walk away and then everything is right where I left off. No sorting and rethinking.....where did I stop yesterday.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by RV Quilter
Since we are retired and live in our motorhome he watches TV and I quilt in the same room. He is very supportive of my quilting and that is good with our tight living quarters. Just recently he started cutting fabric for me and has learned to use the sewing machine. We just started a new quilt that is his choice of pattern and material. Have I created a problem? Don't know, but right now things are good.
LOL, my husband decided to help me cut some squares of fabric for my blocks for my row robin last week... now I've got one row where it's a bit wonky when I sewed them together because he made a couple of squares just a tad too big which throws off the alignment slightly - which I showed him after I sewed the rows together and pressed them all... I would normally fix it considering the most affected block is the block that is in the center of my row - but he just was so darn proud of himself for cutting all the fabric for it - that I just can't bring myself to do it, as I know it took him a lot to even attempt it. How cute is he? He's walking around all proud he helped on my part of the Row Robin 2011, LOL.

Explosive blessings, abundance and inspiration to you all!
- The Creative Seamstress
Old 01-22-2011, 11:45 AM

I have a handheld little computer game that I like to play sometimes while watching tv with hubby. I just like to be doing something with my hands and the lighting in our family room makes it difficult to do a lot of handwork. I do sit there when I am sewing binding on a quilt though( I guess I should put another lamp in there). My dh hates that game. For some reason it really bothers him that I play it while watching tv. I don't understand why it bothers him. He is very supportive of my sewing and quilting.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:01 PM

My husband doesn't mind me quilting if I can near him. He is a tv watcher also. I would prefer to quilt in the kitchen where I have more room and could actually make the one side of the kitchen a quilting area. But he likes to be with me. And if I am all the way in the kitchen he feels I am not spending time with him and the quilting is more important than he is. So, I use a lap top computer table and quilt in the living room. Ergonomically it is not the best and the living room always have my fabric and quilting projects hanging around. But we sacrafice to keep us both happy. He just turns the tv up a little louder to be able to hear it over the sound of my sewing machine.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by diannemc
My Darling? Husband is a TV person..He has no hobbies...Watching TV is all he does when not working...I am not!!..I love my sewing..He has always hated my sewing...
I don't know why except maybe the money it takes and the time it takes away from him...(and maybe the pins he has had to pull out of his barefoot a time or two :oops:)
Well the other day I finished a quilt and showed it to him.. He said "Thank goodness you are through".. I am sick of all this quilting..It use to be sewing now quilting... I wish you would just stop it..." I just turned and looked him square in the eyes and said.."Quilting makes me happy....and trust me....You want me to be happy..." Am I the only one here who has a hard time with a husband who doesn't understand to joy of quilting??
It isn't about him actually--it is about you and what brings you joy. Unless you are willing to actually stand up for what brings you joy--be it quilting or anything else--you will resent what you have forsaken in your own personal need to express your creativity. Time passes and you will become resentful--express yourself every step of the way--he needs to know who you are--the good, the bad and the ugly. You may have many interests in your lifetime--and you have a right to every single one of them!
Old 01-22-2011, 12:43 PM

My hubby does the same thing, only he is not complaining as vocally as yours is over quilting. Ain't it sad?