Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert! >

Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

Old 09-05-2011, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by marscrafter
Thanks for the encouragement, it is a little hard for me to not feel weird eating differently in front of people at the moment. I can't wait to get to onederland too. The idea of looking at the scale under 200 is really what's pushing me forward. I can't wait until we can celebrate being under that mark. :-) I'm trying to focus on a smaller amount at a time too, it seems more manageable than saying I need to lose 60 lbs or so.

Today was a bit harder for me because I was dying for some ice cream since it's been hot. I wonder when the sugar cravings go away? I made myself work on binding a quilt instead, which keeps my hands too busy to eat. LOL
I don't think any cravings go away.And they shouldn't.If you wanted ice cream,then get some skinny cow ice cream and try it.Or I like snack puddings.You can freeze then too,and their great frozen.I also take a waffle cone and fill it with chocalate snack pudding and put cool whip on top and eat it like an ice cream cone..That makes a nice treat that's cold and low cal.A lot lower than a bowl of ice cream.Or have a sm bowl of ice cream.I can't myself,If I get ice cream out that I like,I'll eat a 1/2 gal of it.So I don't buy any.Anything that temps me,I don't get.But we can have something else in it's place.Frozen yogurt is good.I love yogurt,esp bluberry,strawberry,etc.Those little cups at walmart are only .50 cents or 44 cents each,and they have peach,strawberry,blueberry,vanilla,banana,and so on.Or buy plain and put frozen fruit in it and make your own.Those are sweet little low cal treats that's cold.We just have to think outside the box and have the things we want,only replace it with healthier stuff.Someone said to eat what we want,only in moderation.Well,I can't eat in moderation myself,that's how I got to 250 pounds.But by replacing the junk stuff with alternatives,we can have that niche filled,with low cal alternatives.A lot of people like the skinny cow ice cream.I never tried it,but they say it's better for you than ice cream.If you like chips,eat dill pickles,their free calory wise and you can have all you want.Their crispy and salty.But high in sodium.I don't have a sodium problem,so can eat all I want.Green beans are free too.Low cal and filling.I think if you watched Steve Turano's video's on you-tube,you will learn real fast on how to lose weight and what works,and why it works.That helped me more than anything watching his video's.Their all on losing weight only.Every one of them he has on his channel.Plus he's a well known fitness trainer and has helped tons of people lose weight.So,hang in there,I KNOW you WILL do it.You can do it.There is NO reason why you can't do it.I did it,and I don't go hungry either.I eat all I want of fruits and vegetables.There's no reason to ever be or go hungry.As you go along,your stomach will shrink like mine did,and you'll just not eat as much.When you reach you full set point,stop and quit eating.That's when you take a big breath while eating after a few bites,we all do it.We inhale a big breath,for me now it's after 7 or 8 bites.When you do that breath,your full.Put your fork down and wrap up your plate or toss it for later.I really began losing when I did that.I wasn't overeating.We don't have to clean our plates.The less we eat,and when we've had enough,STOP,put your stuff up.clean the table,and go do something and get out and away from the food.So see,there's no reason why you won't meet your 199 goals this month,or next month for sure!Which is still fantastic to do it even in 2 months!Where were you 2 months ago?See.So let's get you to going so we can get you to the oneunders land!!!!!!!GET ER DONE!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-05-2011, 10:20 PM

nancia, I had my laugh for the day when I read your scale got scared and jumped back up when it went below 200. Maybe that's what wrong with my weight - my scale doesn't like to stay below a certain --0. I don't know what else it is. I am eating little enough and moving just enough. I am under some self induced stress and that will effect weight gain.

School starts tomorrow. The second year they're started without me. I don't miss it as much this year since I've started quilting. I'd like to get my birthday quilts caught up so I can do more charity quilting. A life without purpose has no purpose. If I can't teach the world to read anymore, I can help keep it warm.

I didn't sleep last night, so what am I doing up at 2:00 a.m.? Bed would be warmer. It's downright cold here. I should have turned the heat up, but I hate to too soon. 50s during the day and frost warnings tonight. It should be a little warmer tomorrow.

I don't know what a boomerang is, but that's okay. My quilting isn't ready to go in public. It took me two tries to get the block for Robert's wife with cancer made the right size. I will finish the one I have for a potholder or mug rug. A pretty pink and black one - not my colors. Maybe the church bazaar?

Lynne, I'm glad you took the day off from heavy exercise. Everything in moderation, my friend.

Off to bed. My bed partners have been out a couple of times to check on me. G'night.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:21 PM

Hi all thought I better check in even if it is late and should be heading to bed. You all sound like your doing well, that's great.
Went on a walk this morning and because of the humidity I ache all over not even the Celibrex seems to help much. I am determined to get under the 150 mark. I weigh tomorrow so will see how I'm doing.
I used to fell uncomfortable eating different at a gathering of friends or family but once I said out loud that I'm on a eating plan and don't want to eat certain things everyone seemed fine with it. It was more me than them. Sometimes we just need to say it out loud and it makes all the difference to our success.
Hope you all have a great weekend and a successful week ahead.
Hugs to all
Gail
Old 09-05-2011, 10:53 PM

My friends and family are so used to my unusual eating patterns that they don't notice. My two sentences, "I'm here for the company, not the food." or "Do I look like I've missed a meal?" take care of acquaintances at social gatherings. It really is impolite for non family members or non close friends to comment on what I eat ot don't eat. My daughter has been known to tell servers that.

Xylie, some of us never get full. Being a compulsive overeater with no appestat is a whole 'nother set of issues. I did feel full once in my life at a Thanksgiving dinner about 35 years ago. Stangely, I didn't like it.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by nancia
lynne--i'm not stressing, but i have some other quilt commitments for this month and don't want to get totally overwhelmed! thanks. right now my back is not playing well with others, so to speak, and that is just one more obstacle and it makes me feel like i'm being whiny and making excuses. certainly not what i'm doing. i'd like to get all my august commitments out of the way! i don't think it's usual for so many to have issues about finishing, do you? how many booms have you done? ok, maybe i am stressing... lol. i'll try not to! are you on for the next one?
Nancia, I hope your back is better today. This was my first boomerang swap. As MJ mentioned, had I known how expensive the postage was gonna be, I wouldn't have signed up. I have no plans to do the next one. I already need a clone. Both of my guys feel like I don't spend enough time with them. I am not complaining - my DH is a better housekeeper than I am. Cooks, laundry, dishes - he just won't do the bathroom. He's so good to me.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
nancia, I had my laugh for the day when I read your scale got scared and jumped back up when it went below 200. Maybe that's what wrong with my weight - my scale doesn't like to stay below a certain --0. I don't know what else it is. I am eating little enough and moving just enough. I am under some self induced stress and that will effect weight gain.

School starts tomorrow. The second year they're started without me. I don't miss it as much this year since I've started quilting. I'd like to get my birthday quilts caught up so I can do more charity quilting. A life without purpose has no purpose. If I can't teach the world to read anymore, I can help keep it warm.

I didn't sleep last night, so what am I doing up at 2:00 a.m.? Bed would be warmer. It's downright cold here. I should have turned the heat up, but I hate to too soon. 50s during the day and frost warnings tonight. It should be a little warmer tomorrow.

I don't know what a boomerang is, but that's okay. My quilting isn't ready to go in public. It took me two tries to get the block for Robert's wife with cancer made the right size. I will finish the one I have for a potholder or mug rug. A pretty pink and black one - not my colors. Maybe the church bazaar?

Lynne, I'm glad you took the day off from heavy exercise. Everything in moderation, my friend.

Off to bed. My bed partners have been out a couple of times to check on me. G'night.
Good morning Irish, a Boomerang Swap is when a quilter sends you a F8th, you match it with fabric from your own stash, make a block, then send it back to her. There were 36 is my group, one dropped out (after we all sent our F8ths to her), and I've gotten about 20 of my blocks back. I finished all mine last month - about 3 weeks ahead of the mail date. I had several days of panic, but it is all over now.

My state is in dire need of prayers and rain. The wildfires are so bad that we've been able to smell the smoke in the house for the past 3 days. There was one north of town yesterday that burned over 1,000 acres in a subdivision. It is still burning and I have not heard about property damage.

My walks will have to be moved to the treadmill for this week. How I pray for those with breathing problems.

Hope today is a good one for everyone!
Old 09-06-2011, 06:22 AM

Nancia, I just noticed that April has posted the new thread for Boomerang 6.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:31 AM

I have a new challenge to finish out the year.

The journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step.

We have 116 days left in 2011. Each of us should set the "mileage" they want to walk daily. Let's say, for example, I want to walk 2 miles a day.

Next step. Multiply by 2 x 116 and I get 232. Now the fun part, go to your map, find your location, and pick 232 (or your number) miles away, for me that is Birmingham, AL!

I am walking to Birmingham! Pick your location and let's start walking!

Clear as mud? Where are you walking???
Old 09-06-2011, 07:14 AM

i think that's a great idea, mj. i'm in levittown, pa so i might make it as far as philadelphia. i've never been much of a walker, but i will certainly put in the effort!

lynne-- i think our missing boom quilter is working on our blocks and is sending her f8 with them. that's what i heard. so sorry you won't be in the next one! it does seem to get more and more expensive, but as long as my husband is willing to pay for it i'll keep going. i do this in lieu of a social life! i always pray for texas. i want it to be there when i get there! take care, my friend.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by purplemem
I have a new challenge to finish out the year.

The journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step.

We have 116 days left in 2011. Each of us should set the "mileage" they want to walk daily. Let's say, for example, I want to walk 2 miles a day.

Next step. Multiply by 2 x 116 and I get 232. Now the fun part, go to your map, find your location, and pick 232 (or your number) miles away, for me that is Birmingham, AL!

I am walking to Birmingham! Pick your location and let's start walking!

Clear as mud? Where are you walking???
You will be walking right past my house. Stop by for a glass of tea or a bottle of water. I know you'll be needing a potty break too.