Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • 2015 UFO Challenge of the Month >
  • 2015 UFO Challenge of the Month

• 2015 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 03-14-2015, 05:35 PM

Bee, very pretty baby quilt. The mother should love the quilt.

I love over everyone's projects.

I was doing so well with my orange and turquoise quilt, until I put the blocks together. I had all the blocks together and some how missed sewed 2 rows and had to take the top 1/2 apart and while putting the last 2 rolls together, I decided I really did not like two of the blocks. So decided to make 2 more blocks to make it flow better. So tomorrow I will be cutting and sewing 2 more blocks and exchange them for the other 2 blocks. Then I can sew the top together and put borders on the quilt. I am making progress, and in the long run I will be happier with the quilt. More pics when the top is sewn together.

I'm also working on a QB train scrappy quilt #8, for the next few days I will be putting on the sashing and making the piano keys to the quilt. I excited about getting these 2 projects done. I laid out the blocks today, and so far I'm happy with the results. I'll post pics when I get the top together. (FYI next scrappy #10 starts 3/28/2015).
    Old 03-16-2015, 08:33 AM

Your doing great happylab. I can't wait to get to that point with my quilts.

Redid the 2015 March Block. Learned about those sneaky HST pieces. But somehow this block still came out 1/2 inch larger than the other blocks...go figure.

Last edited by tkhooper; 03-16-2015 at 08:35 AM.
    Old 03-18-2015, 06:01 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Well, in February I was going to finish my 2014 BOM from LQS. It is $5 for the first month and free thereafter if you bring the completed block from last momth. If you bring the finished top from the previous year to the March meeting, you get a gift certificate. Pretty good deal. So...decided that these wildflower blocks would look nice with the criss cross washing, like a path, set on point. Searched in vain for a pattern for the sashing. Made one up. Had to make more blocks to set on point. Went through all my scraps to find enough pastels (not a pastel kind of girl). Finally got the top pieced. Pieced the back (oh, yes, I am also in the buying fabric moratorium). Spray basted it. Looked again at the meeting notice and you don't need to have it quilted by March, just the top complete. Took it to the meeting half-quilted and got my gift certificate. Sashing is quilted; only 5 blocks left.

And I did finish repairing the Dresden plate blocks from my aunt and hand blanket stitching twenty blocks. They have double circles because they were just a tad wonky. That UFO is probably 60 years old. So we are making progress. Leaving Sunday to close on a place in Florida, back for two weeks, off to Gatlinburg to play bridge for a week. Then my NIL will drive halfway from New River and meet me in Raleigh to give me the quilt his grandma made that kind of fell apart when washed so I can try to repair it.

But nothing is all the way done.
    Old 03-19-2015, 05:24 AM
    Power Poster

Keep on chugging down the tracks to finish..some of you have made great headway..wish I could say the same..now I've got the flu...
    Old 03-19-2015, 06:24 AM

OK: You have my deepest sympathy. Couple weeks ago I had a stomach thing that was truly awful, lost nine pounds in six days. Take good care of yourself and get well soon.
    Old 03-19-2015, 06:49 AM

Yes get well soon.

I received my Art Quilt Workbook so Now I am 2 chapters behind on that. I'm looking forward to the lessons.

I have finished the first 4 Nine Patch Blocks for the Beginner's Machine Piecing Class and have cut the pieces for the 4 log cabin blocks. I'm looking forward to next weeks class.
    Old 03-19-2015, 09:42 AM

Can I join you all please

I only have one ufo, but it's been an on going project for years now and I just want it done so I can move on.

I dug it out last week and it is further along than I remembered yay. It's a Welsh quit in kaffe fassett fabrics, I made a big mistake at the start on colour placement, I didn't have have the experience for what I wanted to achieve so it's a very loud colourful mess! Well it's cheerful anyway and I love the backing fabric lol if I really can't bear looking at it.

I have to hand quilt the row before the border 4" wide, the border 5" wide and then bind it, that doesn't sound too bad! So my first step is pick a stencil for the next bit.
    Old 03-19-2015, 11:30 AM
    Power Poster

twinkle, often DONE is more important than PERFECT. Once you work through this project, just appreciate all the things you learned along the way. Plus you may be surprised at the end result. The quilt won't really come to life until it is quilted and bound.
    Old 03-20-2015, 02:00 PM

Haven't been on the board lately ... March is fleeting by and I haven't accomplished much this month in the way of UFOs. Since I have been living with my son after my husband passed away, I do not have a sewing room anymore. The dining room is the space where I clutter the house when I quilt. My son had a tile floor put down in the kitchen this month & I had to pack everything up because of all of the dust from the floor board. Then while the floor was being worked on, I caught a nasty cold which put me down for 2 weeks. Quilting accomplishments = zero. And I was making headway on my son's quilt prior to all of this. Well, I'm over my cold and guess what?! My daughter, a licensed massage therapist, is starting her own business and I was elected to do some sewing. Lucky me!! I made 3 pillows for one of her chairs; 6 mat pad covers (34" x 75"); 6 face pad covers (had to take hers apart to make a pattern ... now I have to put hers back together again); 3 neck rolls and 4 eye masks. Tomorrow I am making my third run to Reno to deliver my "contribution" to my daughter. I'm so proud of her though! She owes me a massage. Then, my son would like me to make drapes to cover his patio slider door. I've had drapery material for a couple of years and will use it for his door. Guess my quilting will be on the back burner for a little while. But that's okay. I love my kids ... wouldn't trade them for anything in the world. I love all of the finishes that were posted. It's my quilting "fix" just to look at all of the great quilts you have done. Hopefully I can get back to my son's quilt. Happy Spring to everyone!!
    Old 03-21-2015, 06:20 AM

I got the Art Quilt Workbook I was waiting for. I've designed the first Mini quilt in the series and am just waiting until tuesday to pick up the fabric. Wish me luck.