Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors >

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Old 11-10-2011, 07:48 AM

We have a family history book that goes way way back. I found I'm related to King George the II and William Penn.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:48 PM

My granddad watched confederate soldiers march pass his home. He bought land in the land rush in the early 1900's in the Panhandle of Texas. - the only thing I know.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by VaNella View Post
An ancestor killed a king. He got away by putting the shoes on his horse backward so it would look like he was coming rather than leaving.
I love that story, but have to say, REALLY? THink about the horse.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:35 PM

One was in Lincoln's cabinet, and I have ancestors on both sides that fought in the American Revolution and Civil War, and every war until the Gulf. Both my brothers were vets. My ancestors have been here since the 1650's (not the Mayflower, but not long after). But, many people assume that I'm an immigrant and are not nice about it.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:48 PM

My name is SKELTON, and there must be 30,000 of us who worked on that family line. No kings, queens, princes or princesses. But...in my own direct line, it goes back to William and Sarah. William was the father of 10, and they settled a great part of this country, and he was an American Revolution patriot. I was never a history buff until I started tracing my family, and then I learned a lot. Unlike us, families didn't just pack up the kids and move. The whole towns packed up everything they owned, and they moved together. I followed them from Virginia to Georgia, Kentucky, Tenn, and they ended up in Indiana Territory, where they set up courts, churches, created a social system to help others support themself. The only celebrity I know for a fact I am related to is Richard Bernard Skelton. You know him as Red. A great funny comedian who never had to lower himself to smut.

Who cares that my family was not on the Mayflower? I regret that the other branch let them get off the ship. Yep, I am of Indian decent, and proud of it, unlike my mother, who tried to keep that fact hidden.

As far as the DAR? They would welcome me with open arms, lol. I have 8 A.R. ancestors, but I have something even better....something the whole family finds absolutely fascinating, and thanks to the government being the government, even back then, lol...nicely documented. We have an A.R. HORSE. Lol. Yep, lost in the war, and documented. William owned it, Robert rode it, and when it got killed, a claim was put in. The government piddled around, and finally refused to pay for it. Documented. We are so proud of that horse. It stands out, lol.

I am Skelton, Langston, Lawyer, Hinson, Compton, Davidson, even Moore. I spent years tracing my family, and I am pleased with knowing where we came from. I did find that that Howards were originally Boomhauers or Boomhowers...changed at Ellis Island on their way thru to Canada. That slowed things up for years, lol. One thing for sure when you follow family lines....follow facts, and only believe about an eighth of what family stories tell you.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:30 AM

I had a circuit riding preacher in my family.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by AprilG View Post
I was working (as a waitress) at a snobby country club when I had to ask a lady to put out her cigarette as it was bothering another lady. She told me..."Young person, My relatives came over on the Mayflower!" I replied..."Really? My forefathers were there to greet them." Actually I am 1/8 Apache.
Love it !!!!!!
Old 11-11-2011, 06:37 AM

On my Mother's side: Royal T Wheeler was the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the State of Texas elected in 1857. His portrait hangs yet today in the rotunda of the state capitol building in Austin. He was my great great uncle.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:03 AM

Lets see. Maternal side: her father: Last name Coryell. Were French Hugenots that came to this country for religious freedom via Holland. Owned Coryell's Ferry (which is now Lambertsville) where George Washington got the boats to cross the river. Also one was a pall bearer for Washington since he was a Mason and the guy that was suppose to be the pall bearer got sick. One owned a toboggen ride in north Jersey I have a copy of the ad somewhere , hope it didn't get lost in the move. The original Coryell was Abraham with 3 sons who are the ancestors of all the Coryell's , Coriell's and other spellings in the US . I had a teacher in high school who I loved whose name was Corell (sp) I have since found out he is related and I found a relative that was a Coryell in the same school who started teaching the year I graduated. My Ggrandfather was one of the first inhabitants of Beachwood NJ. And was honored with a sign on Route 9 years back. Volunteer fireman. as was my grandfather. Supposedly a Lenape indian in the family somewhere of course denied. Sad I would have been proud to know her.
My maternal grandmother was 100% Dutch. Her parents came from Holland. The name was Ammeraal(sp) They lived on a farm . I know not a whole lot more about her family
my adoptive dad was a Marshall from Seaside Park . The only thing I know is his paternal grandfather or great grandfather was married 4 times had 28 children and had his last child born when he was in his 90's
His mother was a Hudson I believe
The only thing I know about my biological father is his name was Harvey Goff and he was Irish from the name and he was something else. I know I have half sisters running around somewhere. My mother was 16 he was 23 and in the military. . .. When I was a teenager my boyfriend came to tell me something after his work one day. Seems a guy at his work knew mr goff. at least from the backside. His comment was if I come home and find goff going out my bedroom window one more time with his clothes in his hands he will have an *** full of buckshot. It had nothing to do with me but I felt sorry for the husband . I guess he was way more patient than I would have been. LOL

My maternal family seems to be so upright, uptight, I wonder what went on behind closed doors. I know my grandfather who I spent the years from 11 to 18 (as did my younger siblings) with after a family upheaval was not a nice person. But to give him credit . He survived polio and a car wreak that smashed his hand and went on to become a master electrcian and a business owner in Pine Beach NJ.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:04 AM

Oops sorry didn't realize it was so long. :-)