Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >
  • The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

• The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 06-25-2014, 07:55 PM

I don't need to take it out, but was wondering how. On this machine once I got it loose it moves up and down easily but cannot come out through the bottom or the top. I can remove most of the bobbin bits. The camstack seems to be ok. The side of the machine with the hand wheel was obviously dropped and plastic, so lots of breakage there and chucks missing.
    Old 06-25-2014, 07:58 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew
    I don't need to take it out, but was wondering how. On this machine once I got it loose it moves up and down easily but cannot come out through the bottom or the top. I can remove most of the bobbin bits. The camstack seems to be ok. The side of the machine with the hand wheel was obviously dropped and plastic, so lots of breakage there and chucks missing.
    You could learn a lot by taking that thing apart. Recycle it when you are done. If you look at the needle bar you will see a set screw holding it in somewhere. It may be a hole in the inside part of the harp and the bar has to drop to find the screw in the opening because it is on the inside of the needle bar.
    Old 06-25-2014, 08:28 PM

I agree with throw out the plastic recycle the metal but I want to strip as much as I can and use it as a learning tool. The needle bar is loose but cannot come out the top. It's blocked with a piece of the body that does not come off. Underneath it is getting stopped from fully dropping out with what remains of the bobbin area...the part that is left after removing the retaining ring and the shuttle. What is that called? "the torch"??
    Old 06-25-2014, 08:34 PM
    Power Poster

I agree with throw out the plastic recycle the metal but I want to strip as much as I can and use it as a learning tool. The needle bar is loose but cannot come out the top. It's blocked with a piece of the body that does not come off. Underneath it is getting stopped from fully dropping out with what remains of the bobbin area...the part that is left after removing the retaining ring and the shuttle. What is that called? "the torch"??
    I have a sledge hammer.......

Well you should be able to take out the shuttle - look for screws & set screws just get to know how it is put together - it's a puzzle - if you get it out of the way you might be able to drop it out.
    Old 06-25-2014, 08:59 PM

Here ya go. It's a White, lots of plastic and most of it broken. The machine appears to have been dropped and damaged the hand wheel the clutch knob, broke another adjustment knob on the back and the side plate tabs.
    Holy Crap! I have (I think)that exact machine here! I only know because it's been sitting here for about 8 months and I haven't decided if I'm going to strip it and recycle, or fix it and I spotted it again today on an "inventory".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]480482[/ATTACH]

In the spirit of learning, if you want, any of the parts you need are yours for postage. The only thing "wrong" with it (other than a missing pedal) is there's a lot of play in the hook area.
    Attached Thumbnails white.jpg  
    Old 06-25-2014, 09:07 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane
    Holy Crap! I have (I think)that exact machine here! I only know because it's been sitting here for about 8 months and I haven't decided if I'm going to strip it and recycle, or fix it and I spotted it again today on an "inventory".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]480482[/ATTACH]

In the spirit of learning, if you want, any of the parts you need are yours for postage. The only thing "wrong" with it (other than a missing pedal) is there's a lot of play in the hook area.
    I'm thinking I might have one or else I sold it - it did work - I didn't love it - not enough adjustment in the stitches for me and it is a stamped metal/plastic wonder. Maybe I'm just selfish - if I don't love it I don't know if I can bear to let someone else have it and hate to sew because of it... I guess I would rather see people learn on something that isn't going to drive them crazy.
    Old 06-25-2014, 10:02 PM

Well for learning to rehab a machine, it's probably fine.

I have learned too that what I don't love (Husqvarna, Bernina, plastic fantastics, Touch and Swears, etc) are favorites of a lot of other people.

If the machine works, and they like it and it serves them well, who am I to stand in their way. I had one lady say she had to have a wind in place bobbin. Had to. Loved them to pieces. Wouldn't sew with anything else. So I sold her a 758. I hated that machine with a passion. She was tickled with it.
    Old 06-26-2014, 02:22 AM
    Power Poster

I did sell it - at least I can't find it.... Yup someone was probably tickled with it. I've seen people really like those stupid plastic wonders. I don't get it though. I'm dense.
    Old 06-26-2014, 06:21 AM

Tammi, thank you for your kind offer but this one has already been savaged for parts. I am going to go after it again today with better lighting and see what it can teach me. I really do NOT like machines with this much plastic and once it's been crushed or tabs broken off it's just nasty.

I have a hard time selling machines I do not like too, but I have to remember we don't all like the same things!
    Old 06-26-2014, 07:35 AM

No stitch length, but ZZ?? whats up with that!?

FREE Quilting Newsletter