Have to vent

Old 03-19-2011, 08:18 AM

wow thats expensive, wouldn't want it either
Old 03-19-2011, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I see the same markup on some of my meds. Rediculous. I get Advair....costs almost $200. a month. Went to Mexico...got 3 months supply for $6.00!!!!!!!!! and yes, it's the SAME thing!
---------------------------------
One of my sisters did that for years. Said that there was a long line of seniors going over there every day she was there. I believe that from the place she vacationed in Arizona had tour buses leaving almost daily.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

The US drug companies research all the meds. No laws to research meds in most countries. Canada and Mexico do not research medicines. No research no high cost to pass on. They use US research info. If US didn't require drug testing our prices would be super low and we would all be going to many more funerals.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
GEEZE!! I wonder why there is such a HUGE mark up??? :shock:
-------------------------------
Because no one else is making anything like it.
Because their patents have not run out.

Many years ago one of my daughters used to pay over $80.oo for a bottle of her ulcer meds. Right after that it went off patent and she could pick it up in the drug store shelves for a little over 14.00 bucks.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:45 AM

I spend between 6 and 700 dollars evry three months for meds and that is using all the generics I can. I certainly understand the Advair cost and I add the that combivent, 2 types of insulin, and many others. some with highn co pays and some with none until I get to the gap. I cannot stay well so add onto that the doc visits and antibiotics etc that you need on top of it all. I cannot figure out the high cost. I just never thought I would have to make the choice of paying bills and buying groceries or getting meds.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:55 AM
Power Poster

How awful is that!!! I have the same problem with my mailorder Pharmacy. Don't have a choice of who to use and they constantly change the approved medications to non-approved.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:09 PM

While we're talking about health insurance companies and drugs, let's also talk about SSDI and Medicare. You can disenroll from both Social Seucirty disability income or insurance, SSDI, and Medicare Part B if you don't like the price of Part b and you have a JOB that pays enough in wages but you're stuck having Medicare Part a for another 98 months past termination of Part B. DH's health insurance says that for me to have his insurance, I have to have both A & B, just can't have Part A which is all I have now. DH's insurance company calls me "a non-insurable entity" - gotta love that label!!! Have spent the last 6 months fighting this. Went to SSA yesterday to talk to real people & the 2nd lady told me I was stuck in the disability system at Social Security. I can either pay for Part B for the rest of my life and get DH's insurance coverage, I can wait until Part a expires in Aug 2016 and then get his health insurance coverage or I can die at which time I assume both expire since I am also expired. I am so stinkin' mad it ain't funny and have decided that I'll wait until Aug 2016 to get health insurance. What a ridiculous situation and the idiots at SSA don't have a clue and talk to me like I'm an imbecilic idiot. Am going to see a supervisor on Monday with DH - we hope he can understand the situation. I am a disabled vet so have some healthcare coverage through the VA. Sorry for the long post and venting about the system but it is very frustrating and on-going.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Wendy Keys
My HMO is constantly trying to get me to do the mail order thing and I won't because of this very situation! I get one med through mail order and that's it. I would have said "only if YOU are willing to pay for it"! My answer would have been the saem as yours.
I don't understand - I thought mail order was less expensive than getting meds from a pharmacy? Under my plan I get 3 months for the same co-pay I would pay for 2 months at the pharmacy. I prefer mail-order. No long waits in the very long lines at the local pharmacy.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Tweety2911
How awful is that!!! I have the same problem with my mailorder Pharmacy. Don't have a choice of who to use and they constantly change the approved medications to non-approved.
some states-(maybe all?) mandate that pharmacies fill a prescription with a generic unless the doctor states "no substitution" on the prescription form. This is supposed to save people money. You just have to make sure the Dr. puts the statement on the slip if you don't want anything but brand name drugs.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:03 PM

that would be the last time I do business with that mail order drug company. Sounds like a huge scam to me.